Ethics of Pokémon.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Brian Tams said:
I find if you examine most kids games close enough, there can be found a certain level of abstract cruelty. The important thing is to remember that it is not intentional in Pokemon, considering that a lot of the games preach treating your pets with kindess.
By the way, its really only the show that presents Pokemon as sentient, and thats done for the sake of developing characters.
Yea, but you look at the data on Alakazam and it says it has an IQ of around 5000, which seems pretty intelligent to me. Of course this creates some rather hefty fridge logic of why humans are the dominant species and not Alakazam, especially considering it has psychic powers and humans don't.

a ginger491

Apr 8, 2011
I have had this conversation a few times with my friends. As far as I am concerned the world of Pokemon is totally bonkers. Not only is what is essentially dog fighting a professional sport, the entire world economy revolves around it. At least that is what the game boils down to at the end of the day. You are training animals to fight other animals, and the entire world facilitates your ability to do this.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Korolev said:
Easton Dark said:
All pokemon but the tiniest of babies have the abilities and powers to say "Fuck You" to humanity and their trainers and they can refuse to go in the Pokeball.
Then why do they struggle to get out of their balls when you try to catch them?
Maybe they want to keep fighting, as all but a few pokemon do, they fight until they are unconscious. More rowdy pokemon have been shown to be very difficult to catch in comparison to others.

Maybe they aren't struggling, as you can fail to catch even sleeping pokemon, but considering whether or not to be captured in their subconscious. Why they choose to be caught and not caught is only speculation.

Maybe it's not even the pokemon struggling in the ball to make it shake, it could just be the way the pokeball moves while in the process of the capture.

Point is, there's lots of supposed answers I can think up and justify to you, which do you like most? It's very clear pokemon can leave their ball whenever they want unless it's specially designed like a villain in one of the movies would have, so I imagine it's up to them whether to be captured by it in the first place.

LadyLightning

Jul 11, 2013
aegix drakan said:
Luminous Chroma said:
XY discusses the fact that plenty of Pokemon have abandoned their trainers, unhappy with their treatment or lack of skill.
NICE! That's...Wow, that's actually pretty badass. :p

One of the theories I kinda subscribe to is that Pokemon are living weapons left over from whatever war turned our world into the one in the games.

As such, they live for combat.

Mind you, sticking the ones you don't use into a PC seems kinda cruel. Especially if you somehow die and no one ever knows. Imagine all those poor monsters, trapped as data in a server somewhere...FOREVER. :eek:
Didn't you know? That's where Digimon come from.