EU Bans Claim Water Prevents Dehydration

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
Yea I noticed after posting. Typical.

On a sidenote. What the hell is your avatar? I always see it and can never figure out what it is. Looks like a green haired person with a huuuuuuge mouth.
Dead End from Tekkaman Blade 2. What I think you're seeing as a mouth his Dead holding up a dagger in front of his face.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
You'd think you wouldnt need to advertise water.
From whati read it's more about companys wanting to advertise their stuff as medicine to the crowd that doesn't know what dehydration means.
They can essentialy advertise any product that contains water as having a special anti dehydration sports formula, and containing water isn't enough to advertise your product as medical.
So it's not really because they might put it on water to make it sound like "isotonic" etc but without the produkt actually having something special.
can be used for jogurt etc.

Essentially the EU was like water is hydrating? Duh
but because its duh means its not allowed to be a pretend benefit to the companies specific product.

Dailymail (the source) disdnt make it very clear though for headline purposes.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
All the more reason to shout that bit louder about the evil that is water flouridation.
Stop drinking their water. Get your water from a spring, refuse to pay the bill on moral grounds.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
SenseOfTumour said:
I'd also suggest that on the pizza front, if you've had 4 'proper' servings of fruit n veg, then I imagine the tomato base, combined with a few toppings like onion and peppers, easily counts as the fifth, you just can't expect to eat 5 pizzas a day and live to 200.
That's not what this is about, though.
Kinda why I also suggested it, as it had been mentioned, after dealing with the water issue :)

In agreement with you on everything else here tho.

Knowing zero about this next subject however, (therefore as qualified as most journalists, except I'll state opinion instead of pretending its fact), I've always thought water has to be better than these 'sports energy drinks'. Lot of them seem to be terribly high in sugar, doesn't that just cancel out the effect of the exercise you just did, and wouldn't water be preferable? I understand the losing salts thru sweating thing, but it seems the sugar content is unnecessary.

Tom Snelling

Jul 5, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Istvan said:
X10J said:
Hmmmmm, I'd like to know... the whole story.
Companies want to label their bottled water as the miracle cure to the dreaded disease of dehydration. EU feels that that is senseless marketing practices and that water is just water. Corporations whine.
Add: and the gullible buy it and ridicule an otherwise logical step.
Companies labelling their bottled water as miracle cures?
Before you say you know that, do you know... the whole story?

Tom Snelling

Jul 5, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Istvan said:
X10J said:
Hmmmmm, I'd like to know... the whole story.
Companies want to label their bottled water as the miracle cure to the dreaded disease of dehydration. EU feels that that is senseless marketing practices and that water is just water. Corporations whine.
Add: and the gullible buy it and ridicule an otherwise logical step.
Companies labelling their bottled water as miracle cures?
Before you start saying something bad about corporations, make sure you know... the whole story.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
Spring water IS better for you than tap water. Just generally not when it's bottled. They tend to chuck chemicals in just because they can when they bottle it. Get it straight from the source or not at all.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
Revnak said:
[sarcasm]
Only in the EU
[/sarcasm]

OT-To be fair if you too much water once you're dehydrated you can get more sick, but this is stupid none the less. I'm happy that doesn't happen where I live.

Edit-

EmperorSubcutaneous said:
Drinking water doesn't help ease dehydration as much as you would think. You need salt along with the water. Plain water by itself could make things even worse for you.
Oh yeah, this too. Still stupid, but yeah, you need salts too, just not too may salts as that can have the opposite effect, although the same isn't true for water in this regard, I think.
Actually this is true. What you know about osmosis doesn't work perfectly in the human body. In short, the closer the salinity of the liquid you drink is to your blood, the more of it you will absorb. When you drink pure water, you absorb less of it than you would a sports drink.

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
Tiger Sora said:
Right the EU can just fuck right off right now. You spent 3 years debating wether or not water..... which is like 70% of your body. Wether or not it can rehydrate you. Which you ruled it can't. But the obvious being that your eyeballs are made of water you can't see past the stupidity of yourself. I revoke the right for the EU to continue due to it's sheer stupidity and waste of money. You can't work out your debt crisis cause your debating wether or not water can hydrate.

Mind boggling. My belief in humanity has been shaken severely. I'm gona go try to forget about this.
They didn't rule about if water can rehydrate you omg.

These two academics wanted to allow companies to advertise their bottled water products as medicine. EU doesn't want allow that.

AS other has said EU is correct here.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Gamblerjoe said:
Revnak said:
[sarcasm]
Only in the EU
[/sarcasm]

OT-To be fair if you too much water once you're dehydrated you can get more sick, but this is stupid none the less. I'm happy that doesn't happen where I live.

Edit-

Drinking water doesn't help ease dehydration as much as you would think. You need salt along with the water. Plain water by itself could make things even worse for you.
Oh yeah, this too. Still stupid, but yeah, you need salts too, just not too may salts as that can have the opposite effect, although the same isn't true for water in this regard, I think.
Actually this is true. What you know about osmosis doesn't work perfectly in the human body. In short, the closer the salinity of the liquid you drink is to your blood, the more of it you will absorb. When you drink pure water, you absorb less of it than you would a sports drink.
I'm sorry, but were you saying that my point (drinking more water can't hurt you) was wrong? Because what you said doesn't prove that and I am kind of confused.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Haha, silly Europeans, thinking WATER doesn't hydrate you...

Gamblerjoe said:
Revnak said:
Actually this is true.
Wait, bwa? Thou hast blown my mind.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
Revnak said:
Gamblerjoe said:
Revnak said:
[sarcasm]
Only in the EU
[/sarcasm]

Edit-

I'm sorry, but were you saying that my point (drinking more water can't hurt you) was wrong? Because what you said doesn't prove that and I am kind of confused.
Im just clarifying the facts. No one has said anything terribly off base. While most people are aware that your body need electrolytes, they are unaware that they help you absorb the water that they are in. What we learn about osmosis in school tells us that the lower the salinity, the more water you will absorb, but you actually want it to be as close as possible to your blood.

When fighters cut weight, they are simply removing water from their bodies so that they can weigh in lighter than the weight they walk around at. Once they have weighed in, they have about a day to get themselves rehydrated and ready to fight. If they just drink water, most of it will go right though them and they will not rehydrate properly. Some strategies involve drinking Pedialyte or eating dried fruits and nuts with their water.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
seraphy said:
Tiger Sora said:
Right the EU can just fuck right off right now. You spent 3 years debating wether or not water..... which is like 70% of your body. Wether or not it can rehydrate you. Which you ruled it can't. But the obvious being that your eyeballs are made of water you can't see past the stupidity of yourself. I revoke the right for the EU to continue due to it's sheer stupidity and waste of money. You can't work out your debt crisis cause your debating wether or not water can hydrate.

Mind boggling. My belief in humanity has been shaken severely. I'm gona go try to forget about this.

These two academics wanted to allow companies to advertise their bottled water products as medicine. EU doesn't want allow that.

At first I was like... damn, that's a dumb decision.

Then I read this and I went... okay, actually it makes sense now that the logic is properly explained.

So thank you (and other posters) for doing so.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I'm struggling to see how the EU possibly has a case here.

All the other times it was things like only certain bananas had a curviness standard, not your regular bog-standard simply labelled "bananas" type of banana.

But things like saying:

"It declared that shortage of water in the body was just a symptom of dehydration."

That's rather explicit, that seems far too bold faced a lie and if they really did say that that is outrageous to say the cause is a symptom. Symptoms are things like blurred vision, reduced mental clarity, change in urine colour, you know, indications of what is actually happening!

I need to know the whole story on this one.
Except dehydration is separate from low blood-salinity, Hyponatremia. They may appear similar but they are distinct.

Dehydration IS a lack of water, introducing water DOES counter that. HYDRATION. You have to drink and sweat crazy amounts before hypoatremia becomes a problem.

In only 13% of top athletes who run triathlons experience technical Hypoatremia and they are consuming VAST amounts of water in hot climates, over long distances and have a very targeted glucose-intense diet that tends to cut out salt because... well... salt is bad for you, right?

Also Hyponatremia is very unlikely in the public considering how salty our diets our anyway, you can't get away from the high levels of salt in all our foods and the main mode of loss of sodium (the important part of salt) is when water is lost through sweating. How often do you sweat enough to soak your clothes all the way through?

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
"Dehydration is defined as a shortage of water in the body"
"It declared that shortage of water in the body was just a symptom of dehydration."

what the fuck is going on? I can understand not letting people advertise water as a medicine, but they couldn't come up with a better answer FASTER than they did?

this just seems all the way silly.

what is hydration if water shortage i just a symptom?? :/

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Very true. It's why if you're in the hospital for dehydration they hook you up to an IV of a saline solution, not pure water.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Treblaine said:
I'm struggling to see how the EU possibly has a case here.

All the other times it was things like only certain bananas had a curviness standard, not your regular bog-standard simply labelled "bananas" type of banana.

But things like saying:

That's rather explicit, that seems far too bold faced a lie and if they really did say that that is outrageous to say the cause is a symptom. Symptoms are things like blurred vision, reduced mental clarity, change in urine colour, you know, indications of what is actually happening!

I need to know the whole story on this one.
Except dehydration is separate from low blood-salinity, Hyponatremia. They may appear similar but they are distinct.

Dehydration IS a lack of water, introducing water DOES counter that. HYDRATION. You have to drink and sweat crazy amounts before hypoatremia becomes a problem.

In only 13% of top athletes who run triathlons experience technical Hypoatremia and they are consuming VAST amounts of water in hot climates, over long distances and have a very targeted glucose-intense diet that tends to cut out salt because... well... salt is bad for you, right?

Also Hyponatremia is very unlikely in the public considering how salty our diets our anyway, you can't get away from the high levels of salt in all our foods and the main mode of loss of sodium (the important part of salt) is when water is lost through sweating. How often do you sweat enough to soak your clothes all the way through?
Actually, hyponatremia is a result of correcting volume depletion with water. Volume depletion is a result of losing isotonic fluid. Dehydration is a result of losing hypotonic fluid. Water is about as hypotonic a fluid as there is, so water most definitely corrects dehydration.

Hyponatremia generally only occurs in amateur athletes who don't really have any business attempting the task at hand. Heat conditioning generally results in the secretion of a more dilute sweat which can easily be replaced with water.

So yet again, dumbasses spoil it for everyone.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
seraphy said:
Tiger Sora said:

That's not true, they are not looking to label themselves as medicine. The only people bringing the medicine label in is the EU. with the assumption (giving that Dehydration is a disease) that diseases can only be countered with medicines. Which should of course be well regulated.

Except the problem is there is a difference between a disease where something has gone wrong (infection) and something else must be introduced to counter that (antibiotics), and disease of malnutrition which is the body not getting enough of a nutrient.

Water is a nutrient, if you do not consume adequate amounts to replace losses then you will develop the condition of dehydration

Vitamin C is a Nutrient, if you do not consume adequate amounts to replace losses then you will develop the condition of Scurvy.

How does this logic not mean that you cannot claim that foods high in Vitamin C when cooked correctly will prevent scurvy. Because that is a well established fact. Will the only t

EU are being pedantic putting a logical nutritional claim on the same level as "cauliflower can cure cancer" which is obvious bollocks but that is the way they have framed this debate. Away from nutrition to the unreasonable standard of a life saving medicine rather than an essential nutrient to prevent diseases of want.

That - it seems - is the problem with the EU here. They have arbitrarily ruled what is and is not a disease and further the arbitrary rule that the only way to treat diseases is with medicines so with that locked down nothing can claim to prevent a disease unless it fits rigorous medical standards.

You don't spend 3 years debating if water rehydrates. You DO spend 3 years trying to work your way out of a logical pit you dug yourself into by arbitrary rulings on what is what. It seems EU refused to back down from their rigid definitions and have made this ruling that defies all useful sense or purpose to the public.

Again, that is as it has been presented here. There may be exonerating circumstances or incriminating ones for this group. But I'll say this is the first time I've heard of the EU doing something so foolish.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Wait, what?

Water doesn't help you stay hydrated.

Water.

I...My brain. It no longer works.