EU Slams Microsoft Over Lack of Browser Choice

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
As long as Microsoft isn't interfering with people installing other browsers, don't see the problem. You buy a Microsoft product, it comes with a Microsoft browser, fair enough. If you want to switch, you can, easily. Apple foisting Safari upon people is more of a problem that this is.

Captcha: no spoon. Gained sentience and now is familiar with the Matrix. We're screwed.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Oirish_Martin said:
I was gonna post that ;P

Anyway, this is still going on?
"Wha IE has all of teh market sharez because people who don't use computers much are using it" And you care why exactly? What does it matter to you what browser someone else is using? It's not like MS get paid every time someone opens the damn thing.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
To all the people calling EU 'lazy' for not just using IE to download another browser...that has nothing at all to do with the issue.

This is the issue: Microsoft broke an agreement that they made to permit them to sell merchandise within the EU. As they are not honoring that agreement, they're breaking anti-trust laws. Laziness does not enter the equation at all.

Apr 5, 2008
Holy flashback Batman, it's the 90s all over again. Hasn't this shit gone on long enough? I'm actually against the EU on this one. The browser choice thing has been sufficiently annoying me for years, every install of Windows has forced me to put up with it. Seriously, how much of a freaking moron to you have to be to be unable to search for and download any other browser? Or install it from a USB pen?

Who the f**k gives a f**k which browser anyone uses anyway? It's not as though MS, Google, Mozilla or Apple get or lose any money because users use a different FREE browser?

Why the f**k aren't they after apple for including Safari with MacOS, or iTunes instead of other online music services? The EU are f*****g idiots and users who are too stupid to know how to install a different web browser are f*****g idiots. Also, people who use IE or Safari are idiots. Microsoft are also idiots for having so much money and being unable to design a good web browser, though in its defence, at least it isn't the bloated, suicide-inducing pile of crap that is Safari.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
I've always been curious as to why no commission seems to do likewise with Apple? They only package their OS with Safari. Why not include IE, Firefox etc as well? Why not fine them? They've been around for as long as Microsoft. Why do they get a free ride?

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
godofallu said:
If only Microsoft didn't make so much money in Europe. It would be totally awesome for them to be like... Ok fuck you guys no more Microsoft products for Europe. We also won't sell to anyone caught exporting to Europe. Enjoy your now super-super overpriced inferior apple products, and the 90% of the population that now wants to hang you for fining us.
If that would ever happen programmers of basicly everything will be even more motivated to make Linux friendly stuff

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Fappy said:
I have to use Explorer for 5 seconds to download Chrome! OH THE HUMANITY!
My thoughts exactly.

Can't we just build a bridge, and get the fuck over it?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
mattaui said:
This never made any sense to me and continues to make no sense to me. Why do they need to offer anything? Are they requiring, oh I don't know, Apple to provide a choice of browser on their iPhone?

The mere existence of IE on my PC doesn't prevent me from installing Chrome, Firefox, Opera or anything else.

I'd say this was an outdated concept except that it never, ever made any sense to me. They might as well complain that there's no choice of Notepad or Solitaire providers, because I'm stuck with what MSFT gives me when I install it, no matter that I can install all the notepad clones or games I want after the fact.
How it's damn near IMPOSSIBLE for 'normal' people to REMOVE IE.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Pebkio said:
What you, and many fail to understand. Is that a larger ammount of people still use IE because its the default and some people dont even know that there are alternatives (Dont get into what kind of people, you know them. They barely know how to turn on the computer in the first place, they will be gone in about 20-50 years). This gives Microsoft an advantage. An advantage that, Europe has found unfair for a long time as it seems to be an attempt to monopolize, just as Windows 8 which closes off and heavily restricts other DDS seems to be an attempt to monopolize. That the US doesnt punish microsoft for that because they are cowards, is their own problem.

To top it off, its near impossible for people to delete the damn thing. So yea, Microsoft is by the very definition of the literal meaning of the word, forcing Explorer on millions of users.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
mattaui said:
This never made any sense to me and continues to make no sense to me. Why do they need to offer anything? Are they requiring, oh I don't know, Apple to provide a choice of browser on their iPhone?

The mere existence of IE on my PC doesn't prevent me from installing Chrome, Firefox, Opera or anything else.

I'd say this was an outdated concept except that it never, ever made any sense to me. They might as well complain that there's no choice of Notepad or Solitaire providers, because I'm stuck with what MSFT gives me when I install it, no matter that I can install all the notepad clones or games I want after the fact.
Apple might if they get a large enough market share suffer the same anti monopoly sanctions as MS does.
your personal technical proficiency with a product isnt a good idea to give them extra lee way to not supply the support they should. just because i can cook a pizza is it really ok if your delivery pizzas start to come raw? i mean wtf is the problem you have an oven right? a lot of people believe it or not dont know there are other browsers and use IE out of ignorance. my mum for example doesnt have a clue any time she gets a new lap top i have to go and sort it out. the burden should be on the people getting paid for the product, which is what this EU commission is saying.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
godofallu said:
Most likely Linux would have gained 4-500million users, and it would have started serious competition against Windows, and people were gonna start talking about how much better Linux is now that it has all the good of Linux and is also able to play games (As game developers 'arent' gonna drop 4-500million users on the floor) And Americans would start switching over and after that China. And in the end Microsoft would just be Xbox and a company desperately trying to compete with a better OS on the PC.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
FoAmY99 said:
snip insane rambling
Here in Europe we actually don't let companies buy our politicians or set our policies. So if a company is close to a monopoly, we bring them down. Hard to understand for a Yank, I'm sure. Your servile attitude towards the divine job creators is sickening.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Hevva said:
Three hazy, distant years ago, the European Union Commission signed a deal with Microsoft in which the software giant agreed to start packaging various non-Internet Explorer web browsers in with Windows. Doing this would save the company from breaching the EU's antitrust laws at the same time as saving Europeans from having to venture into Internet Explorer against their will.
I just can't get past that sentence.... so Europeans are lazy, is this what this is about? Europeans can't hop on IE, like the rest of the world, for 5 minutes to download Chrome or what ever and then uninstall the trash that IE is? I just can't read any more of what the EU has to say and take it seriously.

People want to bash my countries court system and then I see stuff like this....

EDIT: I am in no way saying Europeans are lazy, I'm just interpreting your court systems interpretation of it's own people.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
Well as a person who lives within the EU and bought a new PC in the EU between the times set out by the EU ruling, I have NEVER seen that screen on my PC ever.
I dont really have any problems grabbing chrome when using IE, MS still broke the agreement.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
I remember seeing that screen...and I remember selecting chrome.

...I don't understand why the Internet browser is treated differently to other programmes. Office package? I have word and Excel free on my system..just has an advert on it.

As long as they don't stop other browser's from working.

I'm pretty sure when my ipad arrives 2mro..that only safari will be installed and it won't prompt me to download anything else