Eurovision (spoilers)

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Edguy said:
It's good that you put a spoiler warning in the title, so someone don't waltz in and get ESC ruined for them. lololl9olfs
but it is in the title...

NinjaDeathSlap said:
Evil Smurf said:
You know what I want to see happen (if it hasn't already)? I want to see Far East Asia do their own version of the Eurovison Song Contest. Seriously, combine the already general craziness of J and K-Pop with the joke factor of Eurovision. SOMEBODY PITCH THIS SHIT!
The world would not be safe from the impossibruness of the sanity levels each song would give out. LET"S DO IT!

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Few things that need to be pointed out.

One: The Romania guys looked like General Zod

Two: The Norwegian looked like the khaleesi

Three: Hungary had the best song. It also helps that my drinking word was 'baby' which and the say kedvesem so many fucking times.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Nobody watches Eurovision to see good music though, we just want to see the cringiest, shittest acts! Who were they?

That Greek song is great though, it is like a less heavy, Less Mike Patton-y Mr Bungle.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Longstreet said:
The Netherlands only sends shit acts to the songfestival, so i never watch.
I mean really, this year with Anouk at #9 was the highest EVER.

Anyone who watched (i think it was) last year will remember "De toppers" with "shine" god that was embarrassing.
You know The Netherlands won it 4 times right (of which one was shared)? #9 is not our best EVER by far, although it's the best this century (Marlayne placed #8 in 1999).

But I agree that at least in recent history, we absolutely suck at sending appropriate acts to Eurovision.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Jordi said:
Longstreet said:

Anyone who watched (i think it was) last year will remember "De toppers" with "shine" god that was embarrassing.
You know The Netherlands won it 4 times right (of which one was shared)? #9 is not our best EVER by far, although it's the best this century (Marlayne placed #8 in 1999).

But I agree that at least in recent history, we absolutely suck at sending appropriate acts to Eurovision.
Nope, did not know that.

Guess you learn something new every day.

It does kinda proof people right when they say music used to be better.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Longstreet said:
Jordi said:
Longstreet said:

Nope, did not know that.

Guess you learn something new every day.

It does kinda proof people right when they say music used to be better.
Or maybe all music got better except Dutch music. But yeah, I've also read the research on how music used to be more diverse back in the day.

I think one problem is that you used to be able to win with just a good song. Nowadays you need a ton of spectacle and broad mass appeal, because it's not just juries voting anymore and the Netherlands refuses to acknowledge this. We always send something that is "technically a beautiful song" so that later we can ***** about how it's supposed to be a song contest and the world (Europe) is being unfair. Except of course for that one year where we went "You want to see stupid!? We'll give you stupid like you've never seen!", but even that Toppers song didn't have any spectacle except for those ridiculous suits.

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
Meh, Eurovision is all about putting up a show and less about the music. Thats why we won with this(Starts at 0:45):

And not this:

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Angelowl said:
I boycotted it, due the person with the most votes in Sweden not winning the preliminary contest and got sent.

A cute bishie guitarist and singer, pretty skilled visual kei artist wins the most amount of votes by far. And due to the judges not agreeing the peoples favourite didn't technically win, and they picked the guy with the second most votes instead.

So for once we have something new and it's really popular, but they wanted to play it safe and send someone with zero chance to win in the international. >.<

Still pissed about it, they really should have sent Yohio. :/, I mean a skilled musician and a total bishie. :3
I still think we should have sent the flying banana-man in a nappy, myself. At least it would've been rememberable.

I do find it rather touching that the cute annual ESC ritual is apparently serious business enough for the general public to even consider being tactical in it, though.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
Techno Squidgy said:
Evil Smurf said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I know, we should either camp it up to eleven, or we should actually enter acts that are genuinely popular here and represent what people here actually listen to outside Eurovison. I really couldn't give 2 shits where we come, in fact I hope we never win. Hosting Eurovison is far more trouble than it's worth.

Speaking of safe, what the hell was so special about the Italian entry. It got so bigged up, apparently being at #1 in Italy for 8 weeks, and already going multi-platinum, and when it was over I was like "Wait... that's it?!".

I thought it was hilarious that this is the first time I've seen Ireland actually try and enter a respectable Eurovison song... and they came dead last. xD They should bring Drustan the Turkey back.
Italy was a nostalgia trip to old school eurovision. That's what the big deal was.

I want someone to have a huge dragon dress on and use a smoke machine to eat their own band next year. I want to feel like I'm on drugs.
You could always just take drugs and watch Eurovision.

Though watching Eurovision is pretty dangerous to your mental health already so I'm not sure if anyone's mind could handle it.
There are drinking games.
I've always meant to play some of them, but I always forget when Eurovision rolls around. I hear some of them can get pretty dangerous!

Aatolviina

May 20, 2013
Mausthemighty said:
Denmark deserved the win. The song was an instant earwurm for me. Especially with the annoying flute and the good looking Shakira lookalike.

I'm glad my country (The Netherlands) ended up ninth, after years of not even reaching the finals. Anouk did a good job by singing as herself, but the song was not an instant classic. It was rather a song for a funeral.

The Eurovision has a few constants:
- Quality isn't important for the win. (Dana International, O-Zone anyone?)
- The show will always be rigged. Neighouring countries will give their neighbours the most points. You can bet Cyprus will always give the most points to Greece, Belarus to Russia. Ukraine to Russia and Belarus. Estonia to Latvia, Belgium to Netherlands and vice versa.

I always wind up at the end of the show with what the ... did I just watch?
My country was pure disappointment. Robin is...yeah. I hate Robin.

Pls try harder Sweden pls.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Personally I wanted Malta to win, because it was the only song aside from maybe dubstep Dracula that I'd put on my iPod.

As for our pitiful effort in the UK, I don't know why no one has bothered to look at our history and see that almost all our victories are with catchy pop songs, not pompous ballads. The winner is almost always something marketable, either in clubs, charts or TV, and the UK have done nothing that ticks any of those boxes for years.

I think they should start making whoever wins X Factor every year automatically enter Eurovision the next; god knows their careers don't go anywhere most of the time, anyway.

Failing that, we should just send Rylan every year, he is practically custom-made for Eurovision.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
rob_simple said:
Personally I wanted Malta to win, because it was the only song aside from maybe dubstep Dracula that I'd put on my iPod.
I was JUST about to write "no love for Malta?"

I personally liked Denmark and Romania just due to the vocal range on that guy.

Getting back to Malta a sec (you can tell a guy is Maltese when he never shuts up about it), what did the rest of the Escapists think? So far I've only heard rob_simple even MENTION it. Also Gianluca is the ONLY one of the contestants to have actually made any skin contact with the audience. He actually walks up and bobs down to high five the crowd and then doubles back and does the same. Guy's a doctor here and is known locally (before the eurovision) for being excellent with people and patients and imo that shined through at that moment. The rest of them were too good to touch the peasants.

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
I felt Malta was robbed...still, I'm glad they did fairly well. It was the only song that actually stuck in my mind; though that is by no means an indication of quality, seeing as I'm still singing "Here am I (woooa)/Lost and forgotten..." from about three years ago.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Deshin said:
rob_simple said:

Getting back to Malta a sec (you can tell a guy is Maltese when he never shuts up about it), what did the rest of the Escapists think? So far I've only heard rob_simple even MENTION it. Also Gianluca is the ONLY one of the contestants to have actually made any skin contact with the audience. He actually walks up and bobs down to high five the crowd and then doubles back and does the same. Guy's a doctor here and is known locally (before the eurovision) for being excellent with people and patients and imo that shined through at that moment. The rest of them were too good to touch the peasants.
That's a good point, actually. He was just about the only performer to actually look like he was genuinely enjoying himself, and not just putting on a shit-eating grin for the cameras. Too many of the other performers were over produced and more concerned with their choreography or posturing to show off their tits and teeth, instead of interacting with the crowd and just having a good time, which I think is more in the spirit of Eurovision.

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
Deshin said:
rob_simple said:

Well the song was okay, but not really that memorable. To be honest I can recall his looks (to me he looked a bit like a monkey, no offence), but I really don't recall what he sang.

Romania and Greece were funny acts and I enjoyed watching them, but the Danish song was the only one that stuck in my head and wouldn't come out of it. I needed a severe case of listening to Rammstein to forget the song. Du Hast really helps me when something like that happens. \m/ \m/

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
I should add, did anyone find it a bit of a shame there were no wonderfully mangled English lyrics this year? I missed that this year, though perhaps Moldova's entry last year set an unbeatable bar for bad English...

Aatolviina

May 20, 2013
GonvilleBromhead said:
I should add, did anyone find it a bit of a shame there were no wonderfully mangled English lyrics this year? I missed that this year, though perhaps Moldova's entry last year set an unbeatable bar for bad English...
Estonia came close.
She speaks broken English anyways.
Also Estonia still can't into Nordic.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Eurovision was so bad this year. The songs are always shit, but normally they're entertaining. Only Monetenegro was funny this year, and Ireland finished dead last.