Evaluate this PC for me!

Quirkymeister

May 1, 2015
Hello,
I am a mostly-tech-illiterate person trying to build/acquire his first gaming PC. Not understanding what any of these numbers/words mean, or what constitutes a good or bad CPU/Motherboard/Graphics card etc, I instead implore strangers on the internet who probably know more about this sort of thing than I do to help me.
I have put together an affordable-ish build on PCpartpicker.com that the website assures me will work properly (I'm aware it doesn't come with a monitor; I'll be getting a cheapo one off eBay or something, because I'll be buggered if I'm spending a tenth of the overall cost on the monitor), and I was just wondering if you PC gaming johnnies could just have a look and let me know if A. It's as cheap as I can get for a decent rig, and B. It will actually operate, because this whole PC gaming thing makes me fearful and paranoid that I'll put the whole thing together and it'll just not work.
I don't know how to insert images on this forum, so I've just put the hyperlink at the bottom here.
Thanks,
-Quirky

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Quirkymeister/saved/#view=rnKbt6

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
First impressions:

>The build needs a case and power supply.
>You can do better on the motherboard.
>16GB RAM may be more than you need.
>The video card is weak.

Case: I recommend ATX mid-tower. Full-tower is fine, but really more for racks of hard drives, multiple graphics cards and water-cooled systems.

Power Supply: 500W or more (no more than 600-750, for a simple system, and you'd have head room to upgrade). Look for PFC and 80+ Bronze, at least. Seasonic, NZXT and Antec are good names. If you can, get modular, for cable management.

Motherboard: Recommend ASRock or ASUS with the H97 chipset. Z97 also fine, but really only needed for overclocking. Use MicroATX or ATX; there's no difference other than size, but compare features and supported technology before buying. Lastly, look at the CPU cooler and make sure choice of motherboard supports it (mounting holes are important).

RAM amount: Depends on the applications you use. If gaming is the big application, you're not doing any photo or video editing or 3D work, should be ok with 8GB. Get a dual-channel kit (2x4GB), look at speeds supported by motherboard. Lower CAS is better.

Video card: For that processor, at least Nvidia 660GTX or AMD R9 270 (or better). Spend money on this. Pay close attention to power requirements, and search the web for reviews and testing. Some get noisy, some get hot, some are bulky.

I'll update if I forgot anything. My advice: keep a first build simple. When you build and live with it for a while you'll know what you want to do better next time.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
- That motherboard won't support a Haswell Refresh CPU out of the box probably. You need a H97 or Z97 motherboard if you want to be sure that it's compatible with the CPU without requiring a BIOS update. H97 will suffice since you're going with a locked CPU. It's a great CPU by the way.
- You don't need 16Gb of RAM. 8Gb is all you need. Use the extra money towards a better motherboard and/or GPU.
- You don't need to pay so much for Windows 8.1 license. There are much cheaper options on Reddit if you know how to Google. 100% legal.
- You need a better GPU. If you manage to find a cheap Windows 8.1 license you'll have enough for a great GPU.

-You probably don't need a an ATX motherboard. Micro ATX will do just fine for you. Something like ASUS H97M-E, perhaps. Cheap and solid. Lots of features.
-You need at least an 80+ Bronze certified PSU. It's not something that you want to neglect. Bad PSU can take the entire system down with it if something happens. You can't go wrong with Corsair, XFX or Seasonic.

Trude

Nov 26, 2012
Third for a new GPU. Price is a decent measure for a video card's fidelity. A great Nvidia gpu is around $500; ATI maybe $250.

Sep 14, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
- That motherboard won't support a Haswell Refresh CPU out of the box probably. You need a H97 or Z97 motherboard if you want to be sure that it's compatible with the CPU without requiring a BIOS update. H97 will suffice since you're going with a locked CPU. It's a great CPU by the way.
- You don't need 16Gb of RAM. 8Gb is all you need. Use the extra money towards a better motherboard and/or GPU.
- You don't need to pay so much for Windows 8.1 license. There are much cheaper options on Reddit if you know how to Google. 100% legal.
- You need a better GPU. If you manage to find a cheap Windows 8.1 license you'll have enough for a great GPU.

-You probably don't need a an ATX motherboard. Micro ATX will do just fine for you. Something like ASUS H97M-E, perhaps. Cheap and solid. Lots of features.
-You need at least an 80+ Bronze certified PSU. It's not something that you want to neglect. Bad PSU can take the entire system down with it if something happens. You can't go wrong with Corsair, XFX or Seasonic.
agreed with this, and somewhat combined these thoughts with the OP's original list.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/mYPmHx

Note: It is lacking a copy of windows, but as Jensen mentioned, there are much cheaper ways about getting a windows license that are 100% legal, I would definitely recommend it that way before you spend a chunk of change on something unnecessary.

edit: I didn't add extra case or an aftermarket cooler due to the fact you won't be overclocking and it's a solid CPU as it is. Unless you are constantly in 38 degree celcius and above weather and don't use air conditioning, you shouldn't need it.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Oh boy, a GT 610? I didn't even know they existed. That thing is going to be damn weak, and im not sure what that would even be able to run. That being said though, it depends on what you are planning on playing, but a usual baseline is around the 660/960/R9 270/R9 270X level. That being said though, if you do opt for a more powerful GPU, please pay close attention to the power requirements, because a 500W may not cover it.

Also, more than 4GB is certainly recommended, too. I would say 8GB minimum.

Another thing to note: watch out for the PSU provided. If it is a cheap PSU, it might be liable to fail, or even explode, so I would certainly recommend getting one buy a more trusted manufacturer.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
Adam Jensen said:

agreed with this, and somewhat combined these thoughts with the OP's original list.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/mYPmHx

Note: It is lacking a copy of windows, but as Jensen mentioned, there are much cheaper ways about getting a windows license that are 100% legal, I would definitely recommend it that way before you spend a chunk of change on something unnecessary.

edit: I didn't add extra case or an aftermarket cooler due to the fact you won't be overclocking and it's a solid CPU as it is. Unless you are constantly in 38 degree celcius and above weather and don't use air conditioning, you shouldn't need it.
Seconding this build. That 610 you wanted to use is worse than what's integrated on the i5.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
For the GPU, if you're building a gaming comp the GPU should be your single most expensive part.

For nvidia, the first number is the generation. So, 9 is the current generation with 7 before and 6 before that.
The second number is how good the card is within the series, goes from 1 to 9.

So, the 610 that you have chosen is 3 generations old and is the worst of that generation. I wouldn't use it if you paid me $55.

I'd try and find a 760/770 somewhere.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
AMD R9 270x 4Gb version is what I would choose. It's pretty affordable mid-range card with enough vram to support all the latest vram hungry titles.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
I really can't recommend an AMD GPU, they really genuinely have overheating issues. CPUs, fine. But not the GPUs.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
kurupt87 said:
I really can't recommend an AMD GPU, they really genuinely have overheating issues. CPUs, fine. But not the GPUs.
That is usually the case when it comes to AMD's top of the line cards like the R9 290x. R9 270x runs pretty cool.

Sep 14, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
AMD R9 270x 4Gb version is what I would choose. It's pretty affordable mid-range card with enough vram to support all the latest vram hungry titles.

I would agree, but at least in australia the 270x (let alone the 4 GB version) is pretty pricey for this specific build (he is looking to keep it cheap it seems like.)

if he didn't want a 260x, he could spend a bit more and get a 750 ti for nvidia, that'd probably be the next best jump before going to the 270x.

NoPants2win

Dec 4, 2010
OP: I'm a bit confused here. Are you planning to overclock your machine? Given the nature of your post I don't recommend it.

Most processors and cases come with fans and while aftermarket ones are great they aren't required for a budget build running at stock clock speeds.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
As an update, I don't recommend the 660 or 760GTX over a 960, unless the prices are really different down there. Not sure why, but at least in the US the 660 and 760s haven't really dropped in price, or the 960 is really down to compete with AMD.

Also, naming conventions: Nvidia performance is tiered by the second number (-60, -70, -80, -90). The first number is the architecture generation. It's possible an older card can rival newer cards that sound better because of a higher number, but look at both digits. AMD is a little simpler, but what really matters is-

Benchmarks. Ideally, look at real-world tests and compare CPUs and GPUs (game FPS or time to complete a task, rather than what are known as synthetic performance tests, which are assigned point values).

Generally speaking, for a gaming system you want balance between CPU and GPU. Some games lean on one, some on the other. The overall idea in an entire system is avoid bottlenecks. Lastly, don't settle for less when the price difference is small. In the long run, upgrading more frequently costs more in money and compromise.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Quirkymeister said:
Hello,
I am a mostly-tech-illiterate person trying to build/acquire his first gaming PC. Not understanding what any of these numbers/words mean, or what constitutes a good or bad CPU/Motherboard/Graphics card etc, I instead implore strangers on the internet who probably know more about this sort of thing than I do to help me.
I have put together an affordable-ish build on PCpartpicker.com that the website assures me will work properly (I'm aware it doesn't come with a monitor; I'll be getting a cheapo one off eBay or something, because I'll be buggered if I'm spending a tenth of the overall cost on the monitor), and I was just wondering if you PC gaming johnnies could just have a look and let me know if A. It's as cheap as I can get for a decent rig, and B. It will actually operate, because this whole PC gaming thing makes me fearful and paranoid that I'll put the whole thing together and it'll just not work.
I don't know how to insert images on this forum, so I've just put the hyperlink at the bottom here.
Thanks,
-Quirky

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Quirkymeister/saved/#view=rnKbt6
It's like this, if you want a PC for gaming that is going to last a while your likely to wind up paying for it. If you go with minimal specs you might save a bit of money, but you'll just be wanting a new PC upgrade almost as soon as you get your new one.

My recommendation would be to save up a bit more money, and then start by looking at the games you want to play and trying to match or slightly exceed the recommended specs as a start. Chances are the recommended specs for current games are going to remain constant for a couple of years until they move up again, at which point you'll be able to gradually upgrade.

I expect my gaming rig to last 5 years or more (though I could be wrong) but I also built a very pricy machine that took me a while to save up for. It's overkill right now, then in a couple of years it will have parity, then a couple years after that it will be annoying but get the job done, and by then I'll hopefully have the money for upgrades or another rig.

For graphics for example mine aren't state of the art, but I picked up two overclocked Nvidia 980s which is pretty much the lower price end of high end graphics cards right now, and pretty sad compared to say the Titan Cards they just released. That said I don't expect things like those Titans to be expected for years yet and by the time they are the price will likely have dropped. You can of course game with a lot less than that, but the trick is to game well, and of course not want to have to worry about "will I be able to handle it" for a while. Right now the Nvidia 970s are on the way out and dropping in price but will probably be good for a while, I've noticed when some professional game reviewers talk about their specs they have mentioned using a pair of 970s, I could be wrong but I believe that's what Jim Sterling mentioned he runs when he does his gameplay videos for example.

Basically the big things you need for a gaming machine is much better graphics, and to do that right your talking about potentially doubling the cost of that machine. Quad Core is fine, but to be honest I recommend having at least six cores because like it or not the extra cores help when it comes to the computer balancing a lot of things. My current machine is six cores, which is where I had to cut costs, my previous machine I replaced had 8 (but the cores in my current rig are individually faster by a notable margin).

In the end though it all comes down to priorities and what you have to balanced. IRL I'm disabled (brain damage) and am lucky enough to live at home with an okay social security payment for the moment (I worked 10 years at what was a fairly decent job). Some days I can't even focus on playing video games, but when I'm up and about it's one of the major things I do, so of course I put away money to making sure I could have a good game machine. Not everyone is in the same position and when my situation inevitably changes some day I probably won't be able to put money away for things like this anymore (I have to make a lot of choices on what I'm going to do, not all of them easy, and give up doing a lot of things for what I want to do). I won't say how much I spent, but having shopped around when I built this system I'll say I wouldn't try and build a gaming rig for under $2,000 *IF* you want one that will last a while. Cheaper systems exist but longevity is an issue. Let's just say I spent more than that while shopping around a lot for the best deal. Put away money for a few more months or another year if you can and do it right if your going to do it, that's my advice. You don't need to play games on the electronic version of Godzilla, but you if you try and do it on the equivalent of a salamander you find under a rock somewhere your going to regret it in short order.

Also be careful to check your mother board in as well as your processors, to make sure you can actually use the speed. Put in a cheap board and it can hurt your other components by not letting them work up to capacity. Also check and see how the sound is, the quality varies, and nowadays your board is also going to be acting as your sound card, which is why when you look at the specs it talks about the sound it has. Since it's a gaming rig you can actually run into a few problems by having crappy sound on a fly by night board.

Another thing to actually look out for is your power supply, a lot of building sites will tell you how much power the components your setting up will use, make sure your power supply is at least a little in excess of that, and try to avoid getting a generic one, the reason why is that $15-$20 extra there can save you more money later, one problem I've had with computers in the past is my power supplies dying and needing to be replaced, especially when I've gotten cheap ones.

When it comes to the RAM the amount of RAM isn't as important as the speed of the RAM, and you want it to be as fast as possible for gaming. To be honest 16GB is a good amount as extra is always nice, but to be honest it's better to have say 8GB of fast ram than twice as much slower speed RAM, as that's going to influence the speed of pretty much everything on your computer and becomes huge when it comes to gaming. You don't need to spring for the fastest ram on the market, but I wouldn't go more than a step or so below that, with RAM I haven't found much of a difference when it comes to the brand names over several computers, so buy it by speed, don't worry too much about a pedigree, RAM is RAM, unlike power supplies I haven't had much trouble.

So right now I'd save up, try and get a dual/crossfire NVIDIA 970 or 980, I didn't crawl through all the specs but make sure your mother board is able to fully use your processor, make sure you have some pretty quick RAM, and a decent power supply. If the company your dealing with overclocks, get everything you can overclocked, I personally have never had a problem with overclocking and it seems to help, since this is a gaming machine that's pretty much what Overclocking is good for.

Cooling can be important but do your homework, I recommend having fans in addition to a liquid cooling system (common sense) but be sure of what fits into your case. I made a mistake when I had my system made and bought one more fan than the case would fit and they mailed it to me seperatly (and it wasn't worth the postage to return).

It probably goes without saying but don't bother to mess with exterior lighting systems and such, everyone I've met who has spent money getting their cases fancied up with stuff like that has had them stop working pretty early on. Your on a budget so it's probably not a factor, but it's just not worth the juice. I do confess I did have a skull pattern laser engraved on the side of my current case though. :)

That said I'm not an expert and frequently have trouble articulating the right terminology.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, don't listen to this guy. His advice basically boils down to "buy the top of the line stuff".

There's no need for SLI/Crossfire for a good gaming rig and there's no need for an overclockable CPU either. You can get a pretty great gaming PC even with a locked i5 and a single GPU.

Also, RAM speed is not more important than the amount of RAM. Unless you're using an integrated graphics card, RAM speed won't be your bottleneck. It is only relevant in synthetic tests and professional data crunching applications that gamers don't use. I've never heard of a video game that requires very fast RAM. There is only one gaming scenario besides using an integrated GPU where RAM speed matters. That's when your system is using all of the RAM. Then your RAM speed will become relevant since the speed determines how fast the data is processed. But if that were to happen, just buy another stick of RAM instead of wasting money on faster modules. And as long as you have 8Gb of RAM you'll be fine.

slacker2

May 22, 2011
I'd definitely start out by adding another 4 GB of ram. With just 4 there are now games that literally will not run on that amount.

Get an ATX motherboard

http://cplonline.com.au/motherboard/desktop/gigabyte-b85m-d2v-matx-dvi-vga-socket.html

Scratch the case fan and get this box

http://cplonline.com.au/computer-cases/nzxt-phantom-240-mid-tower-case-white-ca-ph240-w1.html

Finally, while the gtx 750ti is an excellent card for the money, you might want to get something more powerful since you're building the whole rig in one go. For example, if you went with a R9 270x, you'd be paying about 5% more for the whole system, but you'd be getting on average a 30-40% higher performance.