EVE Online Politics: A spy just screwed a few thousand players, years of work.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
geldonyetich said:
smallharmlesskitten said:
cloaking sometimes... sneak up on them... Web and scram them (they move at half speed and can't warp away) and call in the rest of the fleet to show up and wipe them off the face of space
Ah, that's a little more interesting. Your frigate is on recon and you basically are out there finding marks that the rest of your fleet can take out safely, if I'm reading that right.

Is there anything more at risk than the frigate? E.g. do you expect to lose a lot of skill points if you're pod shot?
I've taken out battleship class NPC's in my Frigate....

And you wont lose skills if your clone is up to date

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006

Yeah, I knew about the clone insurance, I was just wondering if your clone had so many skill points that the insurance was super costly so you ended up losing points.

Yeah, I've taken out Battleship class NPCs in my Cruiser. At least, I think it was a cruiser, it might have been a Destroyer. The NPCs aren't super cunning - I've been on missions where my one ship would take down whole fleets of them - Battleships, cruisers, frigates. Players are much trickier.

Oswald D Grant

Feb 6, 2009
geldonyetich said:
Oswald D Grant said:
As far as I can tell from the logs, Haargoth joined the goons in-game, found he enjoyed playing with them in-game, and arranged to defect in-game.
So that part of the logs where they're talking about exchanging information over forums/IRC and Teamspeak sort of skimmed right over your head there, eh?
No, it simply happened after he'd joined the goons in-game, found he enjoyed playing with them in-game, and arranged to defect in-game.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
geldonyetich said:

Yeah, I knew about the clone insurance, I was just wondering if your clone had so many skill points that the insurance was super costly so you ended up losing points.

Yeah, I've taken out Battleship class NPCs in my Cruiser. At least, I think it was a cruiser, it might have been a Destroyer. The NPCs aren't super cunning - I've been on missions where my one ship would take down whole fleets of them - Battleships, cruisers, frigates. Players are much trickier.
It's very cheap to replace your clone... like.... 30,000 ISK cheap... Maybe a little more.

You can make that amount in 20 minutes running a High sec level 1....or 30 mil in nullsec per hour

Oswald D Grant

Feb 6, 2009
Uhh... I play in a frigate in lawless space and have fun....
I used to fly around 0.0 behind enemy lines in an autocannon Punisher (amarr frigate) and try to gank cruisers.

When the system was too busy for me to risk warping in on anyone I'd recite Edward Lear's nonsense poetry to them in Local.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
Oswald D Grant said:
Uhh... I play in a frigate in lawless space and have fun....
I used to fly around 0.0 behind enemy lines in an autocannon Punisher (amarr frigate) and try to gank cruisers.

When the system was too busy for me to risk warping in on anyone I'd recite Edward Lear's nonsense poetry to them in Local.
An..... autocannon... Punisher... thats like me fitting Hybrid Turrets on my Rifters

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
It's very cheap to replace your clone... like.... 30,000 ISK cheap... Maybe a little more.

You can make that amount in 20 minutes running a High sec level 1....or 30 mil in nullsec per hour
So, worse case scenario, you're out about 30k, plus whatever components were on your frigate. Not a bad little setup, considering your prey would have cost a whole lot more to replace their ships.

Probably would have taken down my Exhumer, had I stuck around long enough to earn one as was silly enough to plow it into lowsec space. Ouch.

Oswald D Grant said:
No, it simply happened after he'd joined the goons in-game, found he enjoyed playing with them in-game, and arranged to defect in-game.
Man, you've got to read more carefully. What actually happened was he fell for a recruitment scam - he tried to join them, but failed. Then he said, "oh, actually, I'm a BoB director, I hate BoB, maybe I can offer you some intel" or something like that. They're like, "No way, you liar" and it eventually snowballed into him defecting with the assistance of Mittagi, doing a massive amount of damage to BoB before he quit it.

He didn't actually join them until it was all over. His only association with "playing with them" was done outside the game as they arranged all this. By then he had given them several out-of-game message passwords, poked around as his in-game persona and give them a lot of in-game intel, ect.

Here, this is covered pretty much in the first 15 seconds of the video:
Listen to the whole the whole thing, this is beyond what happened on those chat logs.

Oswald D Grant

Feb 6, 2009
An..... autocannon... Punisher... thats like me fitting Hybrid Turrets on my Rifters
Not really. You see, the Punisher doesn't have any real bonus to lasers. All it gets is a 10% bonus to Small Energy Turret capacitor use per level, and guess what? Autocannons don't use cap anyway.

They do require that you get in close, but you want to do that anyway because orbiting at 500m with an afterburner means most larger ships can't hit you. Fit the biggest plate you can and use all that spare cap you have left over to repair it. Don't try to tackle anything with missiles or drones, orbiting close won't help you there.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
Oswald D Grant said:
Not really. You see, the Punisher doesn't have any real bonus to lasers. All it gets is a 10% bonus to Small Energy Turret capacitor use per level, and guess what? Autocannons don't use cap anyway.

They do require that you get in close, but you want to do that anyway because orbiting at 500m with an afterburner means most larger ships can't hit you. Fit the biggest plate you can and use all that spare cap you have left over to repair it. Don't try to tackle anything with missiles or drones, orbiting close won't help you there.
you can kite the drones... and if you use a smaller plate and a MWD you can avoid quite a lot of missile damage too. I know I manage to get a cap stable rifter with a MWD

Oswald D Grant

Feb 6, 2009
geldonyetich said:
He didn't actually join them until it was all over. His only association with "playing with them" was done outside the game as they arranged all this.
Wrong. He joined the alliance and discovered he enjoyed playing with them before any of that happened.

Tamir Lenk said:
I am impressed with his initiative. This guy could be pretty cool in corp. The scam is going nowhere. I refund the 50 million (no scamming blues) and accept his application. I congratulate him on his demeanor, admit that I was scamming him but had a change of heart. He thanks me and asks why I let him in. I call it karma.
Haargoth Agamar said:
I like the guys in your corp so far and wanted to stay

Oswald D Grant

Feb 6, 2009
you can kite the drones... and if you use a smaller plate and a MWD you can avoid quite a lot of missile damage too. I know I manage to get a cap stable rifter with a MWD
IIRC MWD will help you against missiles (as you can, effectively, outrun the explosion) but hurt you against guns on account of the large signature radius it gives you. Drones generally eat frigates for breakfast, but if you can pop them fast enough while tanking the main ship you'll be alright.

The rock-paper-scissors element is strong, perhaps too strong.

Also, fit jammers on your Rifter. We had a guy who was infamous for killing Interceptors and Interdictors with a jamming Rifter. He was very shy about his fitting though.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Oswald D Grant said:
Wrong. He joined the alliance and discovered he enjoyed playing with them before any of that happened.
Well, reading a little further, what was happening is they were trying to get rid of him, kick him out of their corp which was set up to scam him. It was then when he tipped his hand he was actually a BoB director to stay there. So it's kind of complicated: maybe it was technically in their corp, but only under a trial basis that was never intended to seriously hire him.

Meh, I guess I could begrudging give you the point that, even as a trial candidate, he was close enough to get the look he needed to decide it was better than BoB. (Though that is pretty weird considering it was just a corp that was scamming him.)

However, you would have to give me the point that apparently he was terribly bored/dissatisfied while he was with BoB.

This is where I'd say EVE Online has a vulnerability:
If the game itself was more entertaining by its own merits, maybe he wouldn't have been so desperate to improve his situation.

And this opens up a giant can of worms: 1. The corporate experience itself apparently doesn't bring enjoyment. 2. The game itself isn't fun enough to deflect the misery of his corporate experience (he can't just go off and perform missions or tool around 0.0 space in a Frigate to stay entertained). And so on, it goes all the way down the chain until you realize that every single aspect of EVE Online failed to entertain so profoundly that BoB, an alliance of thousands of players, had to die.

As a would-be game designer myself, that's where I sit up, take notice, and say, "okay, that's something I would improve." That's really where I was always coming from (brain-bits shifted into trying to rub EVE Defenders noses in something notwithstanding): if the game design could use improvement.

Oswald D Grant

Feb 6, 2009
geldonyetich said:
However, you would have to give me the point that apparently he was terribly bored/dissatisfied while he was with BoB.

This is where I'd say EVE Online has a vulnerability:
If the game itself was more entertaining by its own merits, maybe he wouldn't have been so desperate to improve his situation.
Are you insane? "If the game had been better, he wouldn't have hated playing it with people he hates!"

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Oswald D Grant said:
Are you insane? "If the game had been better, he wouldn't have hated playing it with people he hates!"
They say the flip side of intelligence is insanity, you know.

What I meant is, "if the game had been better, he wouldn't have had a reason to hate these people."

Look deeper. According to this player and the guy in the YouTube video, BoB was a dead faction. Thousands of players? Technically, but 70 players online during prime time, tops - the whole thing. The corp this player was part of had problem because several of the leaders sort of stopped playing.

He wouldn't have been where he was if he didn't, at some point, like these people and they liked him. Unfortunately, everything flew south, his corporation descended into bitter infighting, and there's really nothing else to blame than the way EVE Online is done.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Oswald D Grant said:
geldonyetich said:
They say the flip side of intelligence is insanity, you know.
They really don't.
They often do [http://en.thinkexist.com/search/searchQuotation.asp?search=insanity]. (We apparently even had a thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.84604] on it.)

However, as you're so very sane, I don't expect you to agree.

Yes, we're done again. When the issue cannot be attacked and we've moved on to incriminating the participants, clearly a civil conversation is out of the question. The last word is yours if you wish.

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
The king of MWD's are interceptors. With the new update they get -15% signature radius per level of interceptors making them rape if you capstable it.

Mission rats are very, very dumb. The rats in belts are 1.5 while players are 2.0 if you will.