EVE online

vongola_mist_daemon

Feb 4, 2011
i started playing this new game EVE cause my friend was like you have to. anyway i have to say its brilliant game its only got around 300,000 people playing it but im enjoying it. the bases of this game is you start of with a space craft and you have to do missions (quests) and get cash so you can upgrade your ship and get new ones. it might take alot of time but when you start getting good ships u just cant stop lol :p

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
I want to play EvE online but I just don't have the money for the subscription fees. Also I don't want it to take over my life.

Wang Wei

Aug 28, 2010
There are other ways of making ISK in the game, like mining, manufacturing, or playing with the markets. Granted the learning curve for EVE is higher than other MMOs, but it gets better with more people so joining a corporation would be a good start.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Ah, EvE. Truly unique in the gaming world. Look it up on Google sometime - read the story of Goonswarm vs. Band of Brothers, or that assassin group that took out the corporation leader. Great fun. Then start looking forward to Incarna/Walking in Stations.

vongola_mist_daemon

Feb 4, 2011
it is true it does take over your life like my anime schedules is messed up thanks to it but its addictive and im enjoying it now you get used to the controls :) and yea it is a bit old but a new thing to most people :)

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Actually just got off it there 5 minutes ago. I downloaded the trial but I'm just not finding myself enjoying it as much as I hoped. It just feels too....automated I suppose is the word I'm looking for.

Sneeze

Dec 4, 2010
I played it for ages, got bored and couldn't afford it, want to resubscribe but still can't afford it and don't have the time. D:

coldshadow

Mar 19, 2009
I played it and loved it, but I quit cause mmos tend to cut into all my gaming time.
I did like how u can pay with ingame cash for gametime and the whole skill train offline thing.

vongola_mist_daemon

Feb 4, 2011
yea it does some times make you feel its mostly automated suppose and it does cost but you know you can actually buy 30days for in game ISK 38 million i think its kinda awesome that way and i have tried to slow down a bit cause games like this do take over you life :)

Ravison

Feb 9, 2011
I did the free trial a few years ago. By the end, my feeling on the matter was, "I'd rather play World of Warcraft."

Dan Reed

Feb 9, 2011
I play eve all the time. I love the game. If you don't feel like you get a connection with the game it's because you sat in a noob corp. The way to get into eve is to make some friends and joing a player corp.

I've been playing for 3 years and wish I would have started in 03. It's has it's quirks, and is one hell of a time sync, but it's more forgiving in the long run because even if you can't really devote actual play time your character still gains sp and when you come back to the game your are better off then when you started.

Oh and the new character creator is cool, can't wait till station walk. And Dust514

vongola_mist_daemon

Feb 4, 2011
yea same by the way have you noticed .... weres the females on eve lol ? its kinda boring without them lol. and the world of warcraft yes you do get hooked but it got far to easy for me and most of the players are really boring.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Hehe... NPC missions are only really good for very low levels.

Try other things like exploring and scavenging for some easy, (relatively) risk-free cash and fun.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
RastaBadger said:
I want to play EvE online but I just don't have the money for the subscription fees. Also I don't want it to take over my life.
For the record, you don't actually have to pay the subscription fee if you're willing to part with (as of two years ago) about 250 million game dollars (the price of two fitted battleships) per month. Of course, this sum of money is ludicrous for a new player when the thought of purchasing a 4 million dollar cruiser seems like a pipe dream. Still, a player who wisely invests their skill training could be ready to attempt the harder missions inside of six months (technically it could be done in one month but bad things would happen far too often). Run efficiently, such missions will net a player a reasonable average of 20 million isk per hour. Alternate strategies include joining a corporation in lawless space and hunting "rats" (the player word for NPC pirates with bounties for their destruction). In a suitable system devoid of other players and with a few hours of preparation a player could reasonably expect to make 30 - 40 million per hour on average and, if they do it right, they can get upwards of 80 million. The last lucrative option is to mine. It happens to be the most dreary thing in video gaming but some people spend endless hours mining. I suppose I can't complain, someone has to mine the small moon's worth of minerals required to construct a Carrier. If someone is well skilled and well connected and well supported, a single player could mine 10 - 70 million isk worth of minerals in an hour. Of course, the problem is that the support (necessary to get even CLOSE to that 10 - 70 million, range based on which mineral is mined) will probably ask for a cut as well.

This, incidentally, is why I stopped playing the game. These activities are entertaining enough at first but eventually I just couldn't bear to do them anymore. And given the permenant nature of of "death" (ship destruction) in that game, you really can't play without money.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Tharwen said:
Hehe... NPC missions are only really good for very low levels.

Try other things like exploring and scavenging for some easy, (relatively) risk-free cash and fun.
Salvage can be lucrative enough I suppose and players are reasonably protected from reprisal even if they start looting another player's wrecks. That a salvage vessel could be purchased for a pittance and replaced with the contents of a single run (if going the cheap route) it is an option. And it is moderately more exciting than actually running the missions themselves.

Exploration on the other hand is quite a gamble. One can spend hours probing down sites and not turn up anything particularly awesome. Of course, if they are in a corporation, those incredibly rich (and private!) asteroid fields are fairly awesome in a way (and a decent corporation gives the explorer a finders fee). Sometimes you hit a bonanza of course which makes for decent money on the average.