Even More Final Fantasy Games Head to the PS4 in 2015

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
While I enjoyed FFX (and, yes, FFX-2) in their original releases, I must say that I am really rather surprised just how much life they seem to have. At the time I would never have believed we'd still be talking about them and seeing Square re-release them all this time later. I remember them being received as "Yeah, they're pretty decent but nothing even close to as good as the earlier games" and not "Damn, this game is a classic I'm still going to want to play 10 years from now!"

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I like techno fantasy,steampunk fantasy, sci fi fantasy, high fantasy,ect. The real problem is depth in characters, story and mechanics and less detail/designs in their details and designs, since they do not bother with depth in anything but their over designs they are going to implode.....plz... plz go the way of THQ.....

TO the haters of FF12, its not my fav(FF4>6>9>1>12>X), I hear you but I did rather enjoy the setting the action focused combat was a bit half assed not as bad as DA:2 but not as advanced as Lunar(some spells had a radius and it mattered where you members were located kinda like Grandia, I really wanted to be able to move my characters around detached from the group). However the gamibt system did work its the same thing in Balders Gate but it was deeper half way through the game.

FF12 main trouble is a bland MMO equipment system and equipment FF6/9 let you equip more stuff and allowed more customization thus made the game a drag, add to it the board grid which was not devolved in mind for classes it was a mess, also your limit breaks or whatever they called them were hella weak and boring(loved Balthier tho, I so wished he had Edgers tool set from FF6, hell if they let you unlock class style skill sets the game would have been awesome), add onto it weak characters and story's and a MMO feel to it...blah...just blah.......

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
Arqus_Zed said:
Dear God, with the rate they are going, we'll soon have multiple re-releases/remakes of a single game during a single console generation.

*glances at Capcom*

Oh... Right...

That said, I wonder when we'll finally get to play the International Edition of FF XII. Or perhaps a re-release of FF IX with the original matte painted backdrops in full HD glory.

Or maybe just a new FF game that doesn't suck.
No idea why people are acting so shocked... they never heard of Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 3? They have form in doing such things.

However have Square Enix remade a game on the same console the original came out on? I don't think so, so clearly they need to try harder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atelier_Rorona:_The_Alchemist_of_Arland
I actually bought Atelier Rorona Plus just a few weeks ago. I never liked the way it looked (chibi manga stuff) and I trusted neither the developer (Gust) nor the publisher (NIS), but I thought: "there are so few JRPGs as it is and for 20 bucks (euros), what do I have to lose? Surely it can't be as bad as Hyperdimension Neptunia?"

It was the first Atelier game I ever bought.

And also the last.

That said, I figure the three re-releases Capcom did of Street Fighter IV during one single console generation is still a tad more overkill than the single re-release of Atelier Rorona.

Fox12 said:
Arqus_Zed said:
Whoa, whoa, WHOA. Lets not get crazy here. This is square we're talking about. Did you think we were talking about Atlus?

Anyway, I don't mind a re-release (or a re-release of a re-release). It's an opportunity for new fans to Discover old classics, and it's a nice way to get around the lack of backwards compatibility. I don't understand why the games are so expensive, though. In any case, I'll skip the titles myself. I never cared for FF 10. Actually, as I've gotten older, I've come to hate all of them but seven.
I don't mind re-releases either, but you could at least have some time pass in between releases. And, let's be honest here, you know damn well why the games are so expensive. *did somebody say moneeeeeey?*

That said, even though you have the right to like and dislike whatever you want, I find it kind of sad you hate all FFs except VII.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Arqus_Zed said:
Rozalia1 said:
Arqus_Zed said:
Fox12 said:
Arqus_Zed said:
Whoa, whoa, WHOA. Lets not get crazy here. This is square we're talking about. Did you think we were talking about Atlus?

Anyway, I don't mind a re-release (or a re-release of a re-release). It's an opportunity for new fans to Discover old classics, and it's a nice way to get around the lack of backwards compatibility. I don't understand why the games are so expensive, though. In any case, I'll skip the titles myself. I never cared for FF 10. Actually, as I've gotten older, I've come to hate all of them but seven.
I don't mind re-releases either, but you could at least have some time pass in between releases. And, let's be honest here, you know damn well why the games are so expensive. *did somebody say moneeeeeey?*

That said, even though you have the right to like and dislike whatever you want, I find it kind of sad you hate all FFs except VII.
You know, I used to be a huge fan when I was a teenager. For some reason they just haven't aged so well for me. I think I just find the first six a little shallow, while the ones after seven were a little silly for my taste. Somehow 7 just hit the sweet spot for me, as far as morally complex characters go. To be fair, I liked 12 okay, and KH and Chrono Trigger are still charming.

I'm not hating on the series and its fans, though. I'm legitimately happy that younger gamers can catch up on a series they never got to experiance. Some of my favorite games came out before I was born, or when I was a wee lad with no taste in games. Now others can experiance those titles as well. Heck, I just gave my sister Ocarina of Time and FF7. She's about to see aerith die, and I'm looking forward to her reaction.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Hmm... that's fine and all, but I've already purchased the FF X/X-2 collection for the PS3. Aside from a higher resolution I don't think the PS4 release will get me to buy the collection again. Same goes for a possible Kingdom Hearts port.

Squareenix, I've given you my money for several of your games multiple times. But now I'm a bit cautious. Apparently you can get almost everything for the PS4 again that was just released a few months ago on the PS3. As many of you already stated, the slogan Generation Remake makes me more and more cautious before considering new purchases for the Last Gen.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Fox12 said:
Arqus_Zed said:

You know, I used to be a huge fan when I was a teenager. For some reason they just haven't aged so well for me. I think I just find the first six a little shallow, while the ones after seven were a little silly for my taste. Somehow 7 just hit the sweet spot for me, as far as morally complex characters go. To be fair, I liked 12 okay, and KH and Chrono Trigger are still charming.

I'm not hating on the series and its fans, though. I'm legitimately happy that younger gamers can catch up on a series they never got to experiance. Some of my favorite games came out before I was born, or when I was a wee lad with no taste in games. Now others can experiance those titles as well. Heck, I just gave my sister Ocarina of Time and FF7. She's about to see aerith die, and I'm looking forward to her reaction.
Now that's interesting.

See, my chronological experience with the first three FF games I ever played were reversed: first IX, then VIII and finally VII (and then some of the old ones were re-released on PSOne, then FF X came out on PS2... I don't really remember in what order I played them).

Now, FF IX still holds a special place in my heart and is, to me, personally, the best of the series. And I won't deny nostalgia having anything to do with that. I just loved the world, the backdrops, the music, the characters, the story... The way they took the most cliché setup ever, but thrusted it into such a vibrant world, creating a story that goes much deeper than you would anticipate and finally shattering all the clichés it had first established - with just the right balance of humour and seriousness.

As for VII... I find it kind of strange that you would say the ones coming after VII are 'a little silly' and not include VII itself. Hojo's attempted beastiality experiment with Red XIII and Aeris? Vincent Valentine sleeping in a coffin? The cross-dressing sequence? The whole thing were the headless body of a female alien that crashed on earth ages ago transforms itself to look like a guy - the same guy that was infused with the alien's cells at an embryonic stage - who goes around killing people/monsters and leaving behind bits and pieces that become monsters in and of itself? Yeah, kind of silly. Not bad, no, not by any means, but definitely silly.

That said, I also still enjoy Chrono Trigger. I thought FF XII was... decent. I liked the world and the lore, but I thought the story (and its pacing) were a bit weak and, well, I didn't care about any of the characters (also, the queueing system of the combat mechanic was broken as hell). I never got into Kingdom Hearts though, I bought the first two, I've played them, I've tried to like them, but they just felt like bad fan fiction to me.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Im all for releasing a good old game on a new platform, especially if it has no backwards compatibility, but it feels like we are getting more remakes nowadays than actual new games. It's not even like they're doing anything special with the ports, all they do is upgrade the resolution and aspect ratio of the base game, stick "HD" on the box, and then they throw it on the shelves and wait for all of the nostalgia bucks to roll in. It's getting pretty silly, especially when you are getting "remastered" games from 1 or 2 years ago (Looking at you Halo 4 and The Last of Us).

[small]Maybe some developers can remake some morals and stop with this whole microtransaction thing.[/small]

Captcha: Same Same

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Arqus_Zed said:
That said, I figure the three re-releases Capcom did of Street Fighter IV during one single console generation is still a tad more overkill than the single re-release of Atelier Rorona.
They were updated releases of a fighting game, kid stuff. A remake of a game on the same console is much more ballsy.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
Arqus_Zed said:
They were updated releases of a fighting game, kid stuff. A remake of a game on the same console is much more ballsy.
Gonna be honest here, I didn't know exactly what the difference was between Rorona and Rorona Plus prior to making my post.

*one Google search later*

Huh...

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist Of Arland new additions include:

*Enhanced 3D character models
*New field map modelling creates more rich and vibrant scenery
*New chapters featuring Totori and Meruru who return from the previous Arland trilogies ?Atelier Meruru Plus? and ?Atelier Totori Plus?, brimming with new content and illustrations
*Additional Content, including playable characters, maps, bosses, costumes and more
*Improved Synthesis system and new Assignment system
*Expanded Item Crafting
*Newly restructured battle system with advanced combat features and skill execution between characters
*New Time Capsule system allows players to bury items in Atelier Rorona and retrieve them in Atelier Meruru Plus, and Atelier Totori Plus
*Over 30 different Endings: Interactions with character and decisions made to complete missions with affect the ending offering extremely high replay value
*Data saving and sharing between PlayStation®3 and PS®Vita versions

Atelier Rorona Plus pre-order Information.

PlayStation 3 (Physical): at GameStop you will receive two swimwears, Black and Orange. http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/atelier-rorona-plus-the-alchemist-of-arland/114996

PlayStation 3 (Digital): PlayStation will offer Pink swimwear for four weeks after the launch to be delivered with your digital copy.

PlayStation Vita (Digital Only): PlayStaton will offer Black, Orange and Pink swimwears for four weeks after the launch to be delivered to with your digital copy.

All costumes are cross platform so you can use them in both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.

You know, if this qualifies as an actual remake instead of a re-release... Then this kind of reminds me of the 'international' releases Square-Enix sometimes does with its FF games. You know, FF X International Edition with the Dark Aeons and the new sphere grid. FF X-2 International Edition + Final Mission with the extra grids, dress spheres, monster capturing/training/arena system, that added dungeon crawling bit, new bosses and little gameplay tweaks. FF XII with the Zodiac Spear fix, the Zodiac Job system which changed the classic Licence Board mechanic, etc.

I mean, except for the fact that not all these International Editions came to the West, Square-Enix has effectively already made remakes of its games during a single console generation.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Arqus_Zed said:
You know, if this qualifies as an actual remake instead of a re-release... Then this kind of reminds me of the 'international' releases Square-Enix sometimes does with its FF games. You know, FF X International Edition with the Dark Aeons and the new sphere grid. FF X-2 International Edition + Final Mission with the extra grids, dress spheres, monster capturing/training/arena system, that added dungeon crawling bit, new bosses and little gameplay tweaks. FF XII with the Zodiac Spear fix, the Zodiac Job system which changed the classic Licence Board mechanic, etc.

I mean, except for the fact that not all these International Editions came to the West, Square-Enix has effectively already made remakes of its games during a single console generation.

That goes beyond HDing the graphics, or like in the case of Totori and Meruru simply making the game portable. Rorona plus was a full on remake.

Those releases by Square was more of a "DLC" thing at a time when consoles couldn't do DLC. Though while I've heard some good things about FFXII with the fixes its not classed as a remake as far as I'm aware.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
If you want my monies, Squeenix, then release the GBA version of Final fantasy V on the Playstation Store. Or the Nintendo DS eShop.

Also, release Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest* on the Nintendo DS eShop. Not the remake "Sword of Mana", but the original GB version.

(*Depending on where you live, it was released under different names in NA/EU)