Ever been banned from a Forum? For a bad reason?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Eh, I can't think of any times I've been banned from a forum. There were a few times I got suspended unfairly (example, one was a Pokémon site, and there was a thread about which game you disliked the most, and I explained why I hated Gold and Silver and I was suspended because "Gold and Silver are awesome, how dare you not like them!"), but in those instances I just never bother going back when the suspension is over. If one site wants to have immature moderating staff like that, there's plenty more out there on the net, and it's just easier to move on and try to find another than stick around and eventually get banned for stupid reasons.

Merkavar said:
FamoFunk said:
Do you mean the one where they wern't really suspended?
Weren't really suspended? ''User was suspended for this post.'' on every post.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...probation-suspended-or-warned?page=3#10016746

Chrisbes32

Nov 25, 2009
I was an admin on the most popular (at the time) PS3 Trophy forum on the internet, although due to the sites owners (iEntry) being utter idiots we were not given the tools to update the site with the features we needed to remain competetive so the other trophy sites started to catch up and overtake our userbase. The site eventually only had a rather large staff team and about 20 other members who posted. The staff and I were so fed up with the treatment of the site we decided to make our own site. While the site was being made we continued to update the old site with trophy lists and the such like while starting to advertise our new one to the loyal old members. A few months before our site was ready a virus was somehow leaked onto the iEntry servers and as a result of this the site which I spent a year or so running now had a virus warning page on it before you entered it and some of the idiot users (who remained and did not understand that it was not myself and the other staff who were holding the site back and thought that we were just too lazy to update the site) decided to say it was I that updloaded the virus. This caused me to blow cover on the new site, demote myself and have a night of destroying and trolling what was rest of the site with some of the old staff who demoted themselves and the decent members which remained. The following day a member of the iEntry staff which rarely checked the forum, happened upon the wreckage and banned everyone who was involved.

A few weeks later I was unbanned by one of the staff members who remained, although before I left I made a secret account with staff forum privaleges and viewed them every week or so for a few months until I came across their (pretty bad may I add) test site for their redesign which they were planning as the uprising had caused iEntry to take notice, although not for long as they have gone back to how they were before, and I leaked it everywhere where they wouldn't want it. I was perma-banned then and to my knowledge have not been unbanned.

While our new site was being built I went onto another trophy forum and made about 800 posts but was banned when our site launched because I put one of my own gamercards in my sig, which there was nothing in the rules against.

TL;DR: Yes, twice.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Merkavar said:
wasnt there another thread like this with 350 people suspended
It was wallpapered by Kross.

Are people STILL falling for that? You can still go post in it and see what it's like to be fake-suspended if you want.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
I was once given a seven-day ban on a site for calling someone a liar. The moderator told me calling someone a liar was the worst thing you could do, but when I told him I could prove the guy actually did lie, I was told they didn't have time to investigate these things.

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
I've been banned a ton of times at the only other forum I ever visit, but given that its quite a small place and the 20 or so regulars all know each other none of the bans where really serious - like one hour "hilarious" things.

Laurie Barnes

May 19, 2010
luckycharms8282 said:
Ive never been banned, but I have been suspended for a number of things. Ive been suspended from this site for a week b/c I made a joke about playing pirated video games, which I guess some moderator took as a cue that I was trying to sell them.

I was also suspended from xbl b/c someone was offended by my gamer card. That was the only explanation Microsoft would give me.

Thats about it. Not sure what kind of site would be good enough that you'd be willing to get banned three times trying to fit into its community.
Honestly I agree with you. Why I wasted so much energy there is a mystery to me. Maybe it's because each time I was banned I never got any closure, which is typical of perma-bannings. I think it might be for the same reason some people keep paying for WOW long after it has stopped being fun for them, the idea of all that invested energy amounting to nothing is a difficult concept to grapple with.

OT: I was also banned once from a forum for "abusing the age recognition system" basically I had to input my date of birth to access the adult area's of the forum, someone happened to notice I had entered "April 1st(April Fools Day), 1989" and thought I was having a laugh. That is actually my birthday though. I thought of it because I just had to do something similar to see the new Dead Space Trailer here. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2799-Dead-Space-2-Severed-Trailer

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
ninjastovall0 said:
benzooka said:
Merkavar said:
wasnt there another thread like this with 350 people suspended
Yeah [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.264244-why-were-you-put-on-probation-suspended-or-warned#10014657].

This is my first forum. My only penalty is a probation from less than a week ago from a silly joke, forgetting that the American response for the use of the word penis, is considered as an offense of the highest caliber. Silly me.
please tell me what your avatar is saying so i can stop wondering?
She says: "I'm sorry The Escapist, and Imma let you finish, but ninjastovall0's music video is one of the best of all time"

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
Laurie Barnes said:
luckycharms8282 said:
Ive never been banned, but I have been suspended for a number of things. Ive been suspended from this site for a week b/c I made a joke about playing pirated video games, which I guess some moderator took as a cue that I was trying to sell them.

I was also suspended from xbl b/c someone was offended by my gamer card. That was the only explanation Microsoft would give me.

Thats about it. Not sure what kind of site would be good enough that you'd be willing to get banned three times trying to fit into its community.
Honestly I agree with you. Why I wasted so much energy there is a mystery to me. Maybe it's because each time I was banned I never got any closure, which is typical of perma-bannings. I think it might be for the same reason some people keep paying for WOW long after it has stopped being fun for them, the idea of all that invested energy amounting to nothing is a difficult concept to grapple with.

OT: I was also banned once from a forum for "abusing the age recognition system" basically I had to input my date of birth to access the adult area's of the forum, someone happened to notice I had entered "April 1st(April Fools Day), 1989" and thought I was having a laugh. That is actually my birthday though. I thought of it because I just had to do something similar to see the new Dead Space Trailer here. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2799-Dead-Space-2-Severed-Trailer
Whenever I get one of those I always tell it I was born April first 1903.

OT: I get put on probation here a lot. The mods like to get uppity over everything then only have enough energy after their tantrum to swing the squeaky ban hammer.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
I was banned on the WoW forums back in the day for defending Blizzard (they've since reverted that ban, although I continued to post durinjg the ban due to the region bug back then).

Cause you may ask? Flagged as trolling :(