Ever play a game too much and it carries over into real life?

YesConsiderably

Jul 9, 2010
A few years ago i was playing through Grand Theft Auto 3. I breezed through it without any major problems until i got to the mission where you need to destroy the coffee stalls that the Yardies were using to as a front for their drug business.

I must have replayed that mission 10 times a day for 2 weeks straight, and i still couldn't do it. Eventually i gave up, but in the real world, for a few weeks i nearly put my car through my local Starbucks on the way to and from work out of habit.

Jnat

Feb 1, 2010
Minecraft. When I look at real buildings I think: "I wonder if I could build that in Minecraft".
I've even started dreaming of it..

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Played Rayman 2 for ages. Then I could hear the sounds of lums in the distance. Not sure if it was the fridge or an actual bird-sized ball of light but either way...

I also have the Modern Warfare 2 tactical nuke as my ringtone just to keep me on my toes.

KimVengeance

May 27, 2010
I've had the desire to save before taking a test or a job interview.
I see the tetris blocks in tiles.
I have dreamed of jumping through a game level in Mario Brothers where I just miss being eaten by the plants or hit by a sliding turtle shell.
I've had many dreams of running to evade the city watch in Thief, and of hiding in a room while they search for me, and in a panic on a city street looking up at the tops of buildings for a good place to put a rope arrow so I can climb out of harms way.
I even had a Q-Bert dream a long time ago. I was being chased by that spring snake. It was incredibly repetitive, and the "landing on a block sounds" were scary. I woke up with a headache.

Also I used to play Golden Eye with my cousins. I went to a wedding one time and saw all these relatives in tuxedos like my cousin who played Bond in every game and shoots at me wearing that damn tuxedo. I felt like trying to find a gun.

Om Nom Nom

Feb 13, 2010
In the car with my Dad, heading off somewhere unimportant, he can't see if anything is coming along the road, but I can since I sit in the back. I see one car, but it's turning off down another road. So I say...

Me > "One neutral in local, gate is clear, Toyota on scan."
Dad > "What?"
Me > "... pull out, there's nothing coming this way..."

:x

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
After a nice, long Burnout 3 crash binge I looked at Gas Tankers as point bonuses.
After playing The Sims I start thinking of things in Sims menus.

JimJamJahar

Dec 18, 2009
I know this guy who got this pretty bad. His name is Desmond and he was playing this new console called the Animus. He could see ghostly horses and then it got worse, because he could play the game in his head. And it was pretty cool...

OT: I have had this happen to me before. I often want to save before doing something important or difficult

Apr 29, 2010
Irridium said:
I've had the strong urge to climb buildings Assassin's Creed style.
I actually like imagining scaling buildings a la Assassin's Creed. Running up walls, jumping from rooftop to rooftop, diving off of towers into stacks of hay.

MrShowerHead

Jun 28, 2010
I have pretty big plans what I'm gonna do if L4D ever happens
I collect bottlecaps too :)

Also, too much ARMA has chanced my speaking quite alot. Like this morning, me going to eat breakfast...

"Enemy bread, 2 meters, North"
(to myself)"Roger that. You are cleared to engage the target"
"Roger that. Engaging"

"HQ, targets have been destroyed. We have the AO. I repeat, we have the AO"

My brother, who has next to me, was like .........What?

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Autoclaw said:
When working i think about putting stuff away tetris style
I would assume it'd be Gears of War. Especially after paintball. :D Ohai, Carter <3

Welcome to the Escapist.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
I guess WoW and MW2. I go with the crowd.

Me and my friend were talking about this girl he met and he just said "Dude...I'd totally stealth and backstab her...." and I knew what he meant. It was hilarious yet soul destroying.

reggaerae

Jun 24, 2010
SoranMBane said:
Once while I was playing Half-Life 2, my cat walked into the room and, because he's black, about a foot tall, and slightly rotund, my first thought was that he was a poison headcrab. So I tried to turn Gordon around to shoot him. Something similar happened when my dad walked in too :p

I've also caught myself trying to use HL2's zoom feature while looking over long distances, and after a long stretch of playing pretty much any of my third person games, I'll usually start to unconsciously walk like the main character.
I don't know why, but the phrase "slightly rotund" makes me laugh.

Am I the only one who finds this funny?

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
This was actually happening to me a few minutes ago. I have been playing Penny Arcade: OTRSPOD Episode 1 a whole lot lately, and I was hearing the Pelican Bay background music. Not having it stuck in my head, mind you, but actually thinking I was hearing it far off in the distance. That was weird.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Well, it's not really caryring over into real life, but whenever I play a multiplayer game, I get an urge to shoot people on my team in case they're a spy, which I should really stop doing.

I did also once press Ctrl+S on my keyboard to save a drawing I did on paper...

Zetsubou-Sama said:
Staring at a bottlecap for long before remembering the thing actually doesn't have value
Similar to this, I saw a girl with a bunch of bobby pins. I had a huge urge to go pick some locks.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
After playing any game with a proper save system (One that lets you save whenever you feel threatened by the impending next room) I often think to myself, "Whatever I'm about to do won't matter because I just saved! Oh waaaaaaait... Awwww."

I seriously wish life had a save/load feature. That would be BAD-ASS.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Well there are those times that I wish I had save games for life.

That and one time I had been playing Dragon Age for too long. Afterwards when I had a conversation with my mom, I began thinking of the conversation in terms of dialogue options.