Ever read a book so bad that you actaully stopped reading?

mrmooninnod

Aug 22, 2011
the hunger games the first one was good but the rest of them were confusing and hopped all over the place don't bother reading it

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Deception point is the only one.
I quit after the reveal of the bad guy, who I had figured out after the first few chapters.

chif-ii

Aug 31, 2010
The Jungle was god awful. I actually picked up Twilight in the library once and read a couple of pages. It really wasn't any different than any other books marketed at the 13-year-old girl demographic that I've looked at.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
SnakeoilSage said:
No, no, I understand. We each have our preferences. My girlfriend loves classics and romances, whereas I'm more fantasy/urban fantasy pulp. I have a lot of Forgotten Realms shared fiction in addition to the Dresden Files series. Heck, I even enjoyed the Harry Potter books. A good story is a good story.

One thing we can both agree on though, is that there is always more to read. But you know, I can't really complain about that. :) Twenty bucks for a book is twenty bucks I don't spend junk food.
But 20 bucks can buy me at least 4 balls of yarn too, so there's just so many decisions! And all of the books I want right now are box sets, so it's at least 50 bucks or more, and that's a video game so even more decisions.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
twilight
and shadow of the hedgemon. not that it was a bad book, it's a good book, i just lost interest half way through about a year ago, don't want to restart the book, but can't really find where i left off either and don't exactly want to reread a few chapters just to find it.

as to those talking about lord of the rings, i'll have to agree that i found them to be slow paced when i tried to read them. but when i have my next phase where i watch all three movies at once, i know i'll get far enough into it to want to read more so about it, and only the books can provide more insight for me to fully understand it all.

HimochiIsAwesome

Oct 24, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
You realise everyone on the Internet despises Twilight with a fiery passion, right? You're not going to get attacked for that opinion.
Yeah, but I've had so many encounters when I've said things like this and have been flamed so much for it that I am now a burnt crisp that smells a bit like sheep.

Then again, it's the internet. Flamers are to be expected every time you voice an opinion.

On topic, I just remembered a book I read in school called "Out of Shadows"
I didn't stop reading, because I had to read it and review it as an assignment, but I would have stopped about a chapter in if I could have.

It's about racism in Zimbabwe in the 80s or something like that. It takes about half of the book to get to anything interesting, and then it skips ahead 10 years, changes half of the people's personalities, and changes the plot from "White kids bully black kid" to "White kids grow up and try to assasinate someone".
It doesn't really make much sense in hindsight.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
The Great Gatsby. I had to read it for school, to write a review for it in English (I'm Norwegian). I ended up looking the book up on Wikipedia to get a brief summary of the plot...
I got an A. >.>

HimochiIsAwesome

Oct 24, 2011
LadyTiamat said:
Twilight - I read it thinking 'its not that bad a lot of people like it'
It was worse, 5 chapers in i was hating the characters of how they were presented, bored as hell and threw it out the window at how this book had such a large following for being such a poor book. i swiftly went to read Lovecraft and fogot the whole thing!
I don't blame you for throwing it. It would probably be more interesting than reading it.
Also, I will now give you a cookie for reading some Lovecraft. He is an awesome writer.

King British

Apr 15, 2010
Anything by Dean Koontz... Anything. I tried reading "By the light of the moon" and it made my head hurt just how unengaging it was. I've never read a book that seemed like it was trying so hard to be labyrinthine and complicated while ultimately ending up boring.

Also the latest atrocity by Jeffrey Archer. I picked it up off the shelf in a book shop and read just a few sentences. That was enough for me to put it down and not look back.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Noblemartel said:
The only book that I have stopped reading partway through was Xenocide by Orson Scott card. I just got soooo pissed at some of the characters that I just stopped reading. Haven't picked it up since, but I keep on meaning to try and read it again.
it's a good book man, and you should give it a try and finish reading it. it was a while ago since i read it, but i think i might know which characters might be the ones pissing you off. some of the bastard characters redeem themselves by the end of it, while others still might piss you off a bit. and there are a few other characters that you might end up wanting to punch in the face in the final book, but it wraps it up all quite nicely and is definitely worth putting up with dick characters just to see how the whole story turns out.

Skuffyshootster

Jan 13, 2009
I stopped reading Gormenghast. I actually dig all the descriptive stuff, but that book is not one you can sit down and just read for a couple hours. I'll definitely come back to it, eventually.

I also don't understand the big deal about American Gods. I love Neil Gaiman's style, but the book just didn't seem to go anywhere, or have a point. Neverwhere was much better in that regard. The Harry Potter series, well, I actually read through the whole series twice. I'm not sure why; they just went in through one side of my head and out the other. Weird.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
daftalchemist said:
But 20 bucks can buy me at least 4 balls of yarn too, so there's just so many decisions! And all of the books I want right now are box sets, so it's at least 50 bucks or more, and that's a video game so even more decisions.
It's a good kind of conundum, though, you have to admit. Me, I've convinced myself I'm a writer, so I'm always buying books. If you need an extra cash venue and you don't mind a little healthy living I say stick your pocket change into a jar instead of a vending machine, drive thru, or just junk food you buy on your weekly or bi-weekly grocery runs. You might be surprised how much you actually buy (or not, depending on your life style).

That's how I buy books - by spending the money I'd normally spend on junk food on books. That way I can still buy games.

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
A farewell to arms by Hemingway.

I liked the wordplay in the title and everybody would always say he was one of the great American authors but fuck me I just couldn't give a damn about any of the characters.

And the writing was kind of bland.

Also even though I liked it; Great Expectations. It was just really long and I had other stuff to do.

AtheistAndProud

Apr 25, 2010
Toxin, by Robin Cook.
The man can't write to save his life.
The protagonist is portrayed as a whiny, unlikable jackass who throws temper tantrums every ten flipping minutes.
He tries to make this tragic event where the main character's daughter dies, but can't portray emotions properly because, again, he can't write.
I have never supported book burning, but in this case I might make an exception.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
SnakeoilSage said:
daftalchemist said:
It's a good kind of conundum, though, you have to admit. Me, I've convinced myself I'm a writer, so I'm always buying books. If you need an extra cash venue and you don't mind a little healthy living I say stick your pocket change into a jar instead of a vending machine, drive thru, or just junk food you buy on your weekly or bi-weekly grocery runs. You might be surprised how much you actually buy (or not, depending on your life style).

That's how I buy books - by spending the money I'd normally spend on junk food on books. That way I can still buy games.
Lol, that's still a problem though because I don't buy junk food very often at all, nor do I get fast food very often, and I don't even buy coffee from a coffee shop very often either. I'm pretty sure the thing I spend money on the most is yarn right now, and I'm not sure how I feel about cutting back on yarn purchases in order to buy books...

Oh well. I've only just started the second Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus anyway, and that's a good thousand pages, so I'm set for a while. I love big, thick books!

Bento Box

Mar 3, 2011
Hah.

Worst book I ever read was definitely Magi'i of Cyador by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.

It's not that it's a bad story, really; in fact I think I could have kept reading it if the whole fucking novel hadn't been written in the present tense.

Optiluiz

Dec 30, 2010
Once, but a few months later I got back to it. I can't stand buying something and not 'using' it. Yeah...