Ever replay a game with a different language setting?

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Daggedawg said:
rob_simple said:
I really want to play through DmC again with the Spanish language setting, because of this:

But without the new music and moustache, I don't think it will be nearly as enjoyable.

Other than that, it's always nice to get the Japanese voice track in a game, although it pisses me off when they make you play through the game first to unlock it.
Oh my God, that was hilarious! The best thing is that the moustache totally works with German and Italian as well, so just get some fitting music in there, and you're set for hours of fun!
You may also enjoy this video, by the same modder. Twice the moustaches, twice the fun!

Also, I can't decide if I'd want a German Dante fighting to Oom-pah band music or Rammstein...

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Unfortunately, the only language besides English I have much understanding of happens to be Welsh, and given that Welsh is a language that ffew even know exist outside of the British Isles, few games have such a setting. I did once give Assassin's Creed 2 a try in Italian though.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
Actully I live in germany and have often bought games only to discover they do not have the english language on the disk, they're only in german. now don't get me wrong many games are well translated, good examples are Mass Effect 2 and 3 both of which i played first in german, but when I later got my hands on English versions (or in the case of Mass 3 the online english language patch) I was seriously relieved, just sounds so much more genuine.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
I once play through half the saboteur in French. Which may have given some more realistic dialogue for the characters seeing how the game is set in Paris and a good 98 % of the main characters are French but that wasn't why I did it. I did it because the settings was in French and I don't speak French so I couldn't change it. In the end, I just deleted the game and 'reinstalled it to make it English again

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
I find bad voice acting to be really jarring, depending on the game, so I will often prefer the non-English option where available. Gotta be subs though... alas, I am pathetically monolingual.

Jacques Joseph

Nov 15, 2012
For me, it isn´t necessarily replaying, even on my first playthrough, I sometimes change the language - like others here, JRPGs in Japanese, Metro 2033 in Russian and so on. It´s not really because of the quality of the dub but more a matter of atmosphere. Even if the english version of Metro were great, I´d still play it in Russian because the game has Russia written all over it. Hearing English voices, even good sounding ones, would break the immersion.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Depends on the material, sometimes cheesy English dubs on Japanese games actually does work, as in Vanquish. However I do still play most games in English, at least on the first time through. I played Witcher Special Ed in both German and Polish, and though I don't understand Polish I understood just enough German to realize that they must be using some ancient medieval kind of German that nobody speaks anymore, so that made it kind of cool.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Blue Musician said:
lacktheknack said:
I'm trying to learn Russian, so I can see myself doing this much more often in the future.
How can someone ninja me? I actually have 2 copies of Pathologic and The Void, one in English and one in Russian to help me learn the language I also downloaded the Russian copies as well as the English copies of the Russian Indie Humble Bundle for later.
I downloaded the Russian-language only versions of the bundle. My reward for learning it.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Nope, the closest I've come to that is watching a few Futurama episodes in Italian. I might try it though.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
chimpzy said:
I played Crysis in Japanese once, because Emperor Wakamoto.

MAKUSHIMAMU AAMAA! MAKUSHIMAMU SHUPEEDO!
Best thing I've seen in years, quite honestly. Prolly going to install the game just for that now :D

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I tend to play Japanese games with the original voices if there's an option, unless their voices get on my nerves - which always possible with the female VAs in either language in those games. I'm currently playing Remember Me in French; much better than the English IMHO, just a pity that the convos you overhear on the streets are not translated. And I cycled through almost every single language The Witcher supports to find just ONE that didn't make me cringe and gave some semblance of emotion. Nope.

Have been considering playing Assassin's Creed 2 etc in Italian, but I love Ezio's English voice too much >_> Listening to the Italian version... it doesn't sound like Ezio. Not to mention that the Desmond bits would be weird to me then.