Ever turn music off in games?

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Do you ever find yourself turning down or completely off music in games to help immerse yourself? I personally do it in Left 4 Dead, it seems much more edge of your seat that way.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Only if I'm playing a game and think "You know what? This CD would go sooo much better to this game."

Some games just have the soundtrack down, some feel like they phoned it in.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
It depends if I'm going for more of an ambient feel. If so it can create quite a different experience with the music off.
Most of the time I tend to keep the music on by default though.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Plants vs Zombies, much prefer to rock out to my own music. I keep the PvZ sound effects on though.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Nope. I cannot play a game unless I have the game music/sound playing. I can't play games on mute or with other music over-riding it.

MrTrivia

Jun 11, 2008
I believe I completely switched the soundtrack in Madden NFL 10; The only songs I wanted to hear were the classic NFL Films tracks, which were off by default. I didn't like the "Madden Rock" and literally couldn't care less for "Madden Hip-Hop". Thankfully, John Madden's voice was not something I was forced to listen to unless I foolishly selected "Ask Madden".

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Burnout 3.

It's my favorite in the series in terms of gameplay, but 90% of the soundtrack was utter crap, with generic and repetitive rock and metal tracks.

Pretty much any game that has a predominently rap/hip-hop soundtrack will be muted as well. Simply put, I think the genre is a blight upon mankind.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Almost always. I'm with Hop-along - most music in games (that aren't mood-setting ambiance or whatever) tend to suck. Most of the time, I prefer to just put something else on instead. If I do stick with the in-game music, I always turn it down to about 50%, because it's so distracting when the music drowns out the voice actors.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Some companies like Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Valve(from what little I've played), and others just know what helps the immersion. Others just don't, or the in-game radio just doesn't have what I like(looking at you Crackdown). One of my favorites was the choose your own playlist feature in Saints Row 2. That was incredibly helpful, as I then didn't have to attach my MP3 player to the TV.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I only turn it off if it is a game where characters are trying to talk while the music is playing, which can make it a pain to hear.

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
The only game that I've ever done that for is World of Warcraft, the tracks were generally repetitive and were blocking out my actually good music.

Pyrosomniac

Mar 17, 2011
Yes, mostly MMO's and some very select choices like Minecraft (living on the edge I know)!

The one and only time I've ever turned a games music off completely because I thought it was horrid, was for half of Yu-Gi-Oh: Duelist of the Roses. I'll wear my guilt with pride for this one, because I thought it was a really awesome game, but the music for the White Rose campaign was diabolically terrible, and this was before I had an iPod!

I mean, it just wasn't suspenseful at all! Add as well that the White Rose campaign was completely linear, especially after considering the fact that I'd played the Red Rose campaign first and that had multiple paths and battles to face.

When I think about it, it dragged the entire half of that game down.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
I like music too much to turn off video game soundtracks. I miss too many great songs by turning off the music!

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
games that i use vent or teamspeak in i do or when im listening to the radio in itunes.

but i like music and sounds ingame, they give it atmosphere