Every long-running anime should do a DBZ: Kai

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I believe, deep down, that every long-running anime series should at some point after it has finished do what DragonBall did with DragonBall Z: Kai, and re-release a version of it with all the filler content removed so it's only the actual adaptation with nothing else added.

So many of the anime series that run for hundreds and hundreds of episodes are plagued by massive chunks of filler and/or random filler episodes that achieve nothing and just break up the flow of the actual story of the show. My favourite of these long-running anime is Bleach and I'm still trying to watch my way through Naruto, and I will admit that the filler fucking kills it for me sometimes.

It makes no sense why they don't do it as a matter of standard practise. I own all of Bleach on DVD but would gladly buy them all again, either on DVD or Blu Ray, if the option to purchase trimmed down versions with the filler arcs and episodes cut out existed. One of the main things keeping me from re-watching Bleach from the beginning is just the slog that is either enduring the filler again, or the hassle of having to manually skip over it.

It'd be better for the customers who love these shows enough to stick with them through hundreds of episodes, and the companies can sell a second version so it's good for their business too.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Maybe I'm just not into anime enough to understand it buuuut...

Why not just NOT fill up your TV show with pointless bullcrap?

Seems like that would be a lot more effective than cutting it later in a "new" series...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
If its not important or worthwhile at all, it just should not be in it at all.

Though I will add that some 'filler' can be good too if it is entertaining. Yelling for 10 episodes, sure, cut it, but sometimes you just want to see a light hearted episode with the characters you love.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Didn't Kai skip over most of the Dragon Ball portion, i.e. the best part of the series? It all went downhill once that Z got involved.

tippy2k2 said:

Seems like that would be a lot more effective than cutting it later in a "new" series...
In a lot of cases the anime is being made as the same time as the manga (the source material) and the anime always outpaces the manga since it's made in sweatshops or something (I don't actually know why) so they have to pad it out with extra content.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
You know, if Dragonball Z Kai had redone the animation and outright changed all the voice actors I might have been able to stomach it. However, all they did was cut out most of the "filler" a lot of which was pretty good, change the music which was essential to the whole tone of the series, and keep most of the old actors who while experienced now clearly do not give a crap anymore and as a result clearly sound like what they are, a bunch of bored people reading off of a script, there's emotion in their lines whatsoever, they were better at it when they were total amateurs. All the while the ones they replaced them with didn't even remotely sound like the original voice actors and thus made the difference in everybody's performance all the more obvious. The filler in the actual animation an such also did a lot to give the series great pacing by building the suspense for a bit longer, contributing strongly to the mood. People always massively exaggerate how long they scream and stare at each other and everything but the original Funimation Dub filler and all had excellent pacing that created a lot of suspense and drama. Even if that wasn't true it was never anywhere near as bad as "fans" make it out to be, I put "fans in quotation marks because these complaints are clearly just from people who have never actually seen the Anime before and are complaining about it anyway or people who have but are outright lying about it.

I don't mind at all if they recreate old Anime, as long as it's a genuine recreation that changes the art, animation, and everything else other than the general storyline completely to provide a new experience rather than the old experience but totally butchered like Kai did to DBZ.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I might watch a One Piece Kai. That?s a show with a horrible amount of filler, mostly in padding out episodes to rediculous lengths because of how little material is available to adapt... and is also very widely loved, so it seems to have a lot going for it, regardless.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
Drathnoxis said:
In a lot of cases the anime is being made as the same time as the manga (the source material) and the anime always outpaces the manga since it's made in sweatshops or something (I don't actually know why) so they have to pad it out with extra content.
Mainly because it is simply easier to present things in animated format than as a still panel. Each episode of anime can run between 2-4 chapters of the manga easily. As they are both released on a weekly basis, the anime will outpace the manga quickly without fillers. Notwithstanding that there are also some manga that release monthly or even slower. This is why Black Lagoon for example has no new anime. The first two seasons covered the first five and a half volumes. The OAVs compressed the next three and a half volumes together and only one new volume of manga has been released since.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
Didn't Kai skip over most of the Dragon Ball portion, i.e. the best part of the series? It all went downhill once that Z got involved.

tippy2k2 said:

There's been a steady shift to shorter seasons and series though. Aside from a handful of the old long-running shonenseries and the newly introduced Black Clover, most modern shonen anime stick to 26 episode seasons.

If a series doesn't take breaks, it will eventually catch up to the anime. Most big shonen series are weeklies (with ~18 page chapters), anime series also tend to get a new episode every week. However, for 20 minutes of anime content you need several manga chapters. If you adapt any slower than that, the pacing will be like a drunken crawl.

That means there are several options for the adaptation of still running manga/light novels:
1. Only do a partial adaptation
2. End it early with an original ending
3. Follow to manga/light novel but take breaks
4. Run continously and add filler

Option 1 and 3 are probably the most common, because it's by far the most economical. And it needs to be economical, because an anime adaptation is rarely a product by itself. It's more like a commercial for the manga/light novel. Option 4 is rare for exactly that reason: few series warrant that level of marketing.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
FMA brotherhood is probably a better example, but I don?t necessarily disagree with you.

That said, I?d argue more shonen anime needs to go the route of Academia and Attack on titan: go one season at a time separated by years off to give the manga time to develop more content. The ?new episode every week without fail for decades? model is full of intense problems and is obsolete these days. Just ask Black Clover

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
balladbird said:
That said, I?d argue more shonen anime needs to go the route of Academia and Attack on titan: go one season at a time separated by years off to give the manga time to develop more content.
Except for the fact that you're still waiting years between seasons then, which also sucks balls, (we had to wait, what, 3 years for Attack on Titan season 2, and even then it was only a dozen episodes?)

I'd prefer to just wait until they have enough content to make several seasons, then release them over several years like any other show, which gives the manga more time to either finish or at least create enough content for the anime to adapt once it catches up.

As it is, I'm still waiting on more season for A Certain Scientific Railgun/Magical Index, Log Horizon, No Game No Life (which probably isn't even happening now) and Fairy Tail.

And then you've got the animes that finish before the manga does, and so have to branch of Game of Thrones style and do their own thing, like Akame Ga Kill and FMA (which in the former case, leads to a massive downer ending, and in the latter results in the need for an entire reboot series to better match the source material, so why not just wait to do that in the first place?)

Honestly, the whole damn system is stupid and screams of anime makers just wanting to cash in on the latest popular manga as fast as possible with little regard for the story or pacing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't see the point, unless the anime never got a proper adaption (i.e, bad or mediocre) or if the adaption was completely different from the manga. I prefer the Hellsing Ultimate route. Manga like Akira or Battle Angel Alita definitely need this. The best part of all is that you don't have to worry about pointless filler.

Manga like FMA (it's Brotherhood adaption is superior), Trigun, or Shaman King don't need it other than seeing characters that never made it to the TV screen. Besides, Shaman King does not need another adaption considering how bad the manga ended, so that would not be much of a bonus.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
CoCage said:
I don't see the point, unless the anime never got a proper adaption (i.e, bad or mediocre) or if the adaption was completely different from the manga. I prefer the Hellsing Ultimate route. Manga like Akira or Battle Angel Alita definitely need this. The best part of all is that you don't have to worry about pointless filler.

Manga like FMA (it's Brotherhood adaption is superior), Trigun, or Shaman King don't need it other than seeing characters that never made it to the TV screen. Besides, Shaman King does not need another adaption considering how bad the manga ended, so that would not be much of a bonus.
I keep hearing people say that, but I never read further in the manga than book 17 or so. What's so bad about the ending?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Queen Michael said:
I keep hearing people say that, but I never read further in the manga than book 17 or so. What's so bad about the ending?
<spoiler= Manga spoilers>Hao becomes Shaman King. He does not destroy humanity, but considering the author got a bug up his own ass about humanity and expects us to sympathize for a ***** in a box stand that killed over 1000 people for petty reasons and all with a smile on that face. Fuck that. It's the standard forced, broken green aseop that has been done better and less preachy.

The fact that fans had to wait nearly 5 years for a shitty ending nobody asked for.

And here's a little more detail for you.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/ShamanKing

And if you don't have time for the link:

Unintentionally Unsympathetic: Hao is supposed to be a Tragic Villain, and the audience is supposed to see his eventual ascension to Shaman King as a good thing. Unfortunately, the cold hard truth is that most of the cast have pretty tragic backstories too, to one degree or another, and none of them grew up to be genocidal monsters out to exterminate "baseline" humanity! Many readers instead regard him as a Karma Houdini of the highest order, and one who hasn't necessarily abandoned his plans for worldwide mass death and destruction so much as delayed them.

What doesn't help matters is that Hao's goals come as petty, arrogant, and hypocritical. He goes on big rants about how Humans Are the Real Monsters with them always fighting, killing each other or things that are different than them, and destroying the harmony of nature. The final nail in the coffin is that Hao is all of those things, and he's killed far more people than he cares to count (the body count is at least in the thousands). Many of his actions killed other humans or shamans alike; one of which that caused Lyserg's start of darkness. Compared to Hao who only lost a total of three people in his past lives: his mother, his first friend Ohachiyo (by his own fault due to revenge), and Matamune (who abandoned him when Hao went off the deep end). No wonder he comes off unlikable by a lot of readers. At least the anime adaption pointed out, in-and-out of universe, how wrong his philosophy and views were, and how they are most definitely not something you should sympathize with. The manga seems to try to do this, but fails spectacularly and seems to almost agree with Hao.

Seasonal Rot: In the manga, after a hiatus. Instead of becoming more interesting, many found that characters (both heroes and villains) grew much more unsympathetic and preachy as the story went on and backstories were revealed. The fact that the manga ends on a condescending, defeatist note about the nature of normal humans and the future of humanity has caused some to even accuse the author of misanthropic ranting, given how little the manga actually does to refute Hao's anti-human views, and how, after the hiatus, the manga actually could be arguably supporting them.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I like the sentiment, but NO...just NO.
DBZ: Kai SUCKED.

Changes to the voice actors, shitty new animation, weird music and sound effect issues...yeah.

Just...yikes. DBZ: Kai was just a shitty product that added NOTHING good to the series.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Hawk of Battle said:
Except for the fact that you're still waiting years between seasons then, which also sucks balls, (we had to wait, what, 3 years for Attack on Titan season 2, and even then it was only a dozen episodes?)

I'd prefer to just wait until they have enough content to make several seasons, then release them over several years like any other show, which gives the manga more time to either finish or at least create enough content for the anime to adapt once it catches up.
you're right that the wait for Titan was pretty brutal, but that delay was owed as much to network bureaucracy as anything. Granted, it's a monthly manga series, so it would have needed longer to build up a lead anyway, but it could have released in half the time it did, regardless.

for weekly series, like shonen jump shows, one season on and one season off would be fine. Even with just that tiny gap they could do away with filler shenanigans, boost animation quality... really, there's almost no downside to that method compared to just running indefinitely.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
MC1980 said:
Man, I sure shat out a bunch of words in response to a throwaway sentence.
Actually, it wasn't throwaway. I'm always hoping someone takes me up on a Dragon Ball discussion.

MC1980 said:
Kai did skip DB, hell, it skipped the Buu saga too at first. Kai was kinda made on a budget.

The whole "Z ruining Dragon Ball" is fanboy revisionist garbage based solely on the arbitrary split in naming Toei did for the show post Piccolo. DB was well into being 'DBZ' as early as the fight between Goku and Roshi in the first tournament. Tenshinhan, King Piccolo, Piccolo, these are what most people call the best parts of DB, and they're DBZ as fuck.

Hell, taking a closer look, DB and DBZ are way more similar than they are different, and a lot of the differences themselves are superficial that people are incredibly hung up on.
It's true that the name split was fairly arbitrary, but it still did represent a fairly big shift in the story. Most of the remaining Journey to the West flavour was abandoned for sci-fi, Goku and Piccolo's backstories were retconned, and the trends toward darker and more serious continued. Yes most of what people attribute to Z can be traced back to trends starting in Dragon Ball, but if you want a time to point to and say that the show isn't the same as what it started as DBZ is a pretty good split to point to.

MC1980 said:
- Characters that are useless in Z were also useless in DB once their arcs finished, and only got a token role to get over the new hotness in the new arc. Yamcha was always a jobber, Tenshinhan was immediately useless after his fight with Goku, Roshi didn't really do much of anything after his fight with Goku, had a gag fight, half a fight with Tenshinhan and died in 3 seconds agaisnt King Piccolo, Lunch never did anything to begin with, Oolong/Puar are afterthoughts the moment they appear, only getting 1 or 2 moments of note each. Bulma literally does the same exact thing in DB as she does in DBZ.
This is true to an extent, but the introduction of power levels are what really cemented the inferiority of the rest of the cast. In Dragon Ball you could at least imagine that Tenshinhan and Kuririn were at least in the same ballpark as Goku, but come Namek Goku's breaking a million and it's clear the rest of the non-saiyans are truly out of the game. In Dragon Ball they felt like participants, even Yamcha, post Saiyan arc they're nothing but spectators.

Roshi was also handled a lot more gracefully than the other's were in Z though. He had his time, and stepped down to make way for the newer generation, then he gave his life in an attempt to stop the big bad. It failed, but it still made for an effective swan song for the character. He wasn't just relegated to perpetually standing on the sideline's saying "That punch was so fast I couldn't even see it!"

MC1980 said:
- The fights are still structured the same way, punch/kick leads into named move that is either a stupid punch/combo or a ranged (beam) move, then pause for effect. Rince repeat until finishing sequence. Only differences there are that DB's punch-kicks are vaguely kung fu looking generic punch kicks. There is a linear improvement in overall pacing as the manga goes on, but that's about it.
The fights are just so much longer though, and take up so much more of the focus. In DB there wasn't a fight that took up more than 3 episodes, which was a tolerable lenght for a major battle. Freiza fight was 30 episodes! Thirty!

Beyond that the show used to have much more to it than the battles. There was adventure to be had travelling from place to place looking for dragon balls. Lots of unique sights to see, no everywhere-on-this-planet-looks-the-same-Namek. But once you can circumnavigate the globe in under a minute there is no way to have an adventure. You don't have to stop anywhere on the way to your goal because you're there as soon as you begin. They literally have a dragon ball collecting montage at the start of Z, it's a minor chore by this point and nothing more.

I think Toriyama was running out of creativity by the time Z was rolling around. No more varied scenery and locations, the hot new hangouts are wastelands, wastelands, and wastelands. Heck, the filler's Fake Namek was leagues more interesting to explore than the real Namek was!

In DB the choreography felt more important, and I thought, was just better in general. In the fight between Jackie Chun and Goku, Jackie factors in that his legs are longer so his kick will have more impact and this strategy wins him the match. In Z it mostly comes down to having the bigger number and figuring out how to make your number bigger.

It also doesn't help that they'd all expanded their movesets to the point that all the characters feel the same. They all fly, they all shoot beams out of their hands in various fashions, they are all telepathic for some reason, they all could level a city with the flick of their wrist. Once you are at that point there isn't any way to show that the characters are getting stronger without someone coming out to wipe the floor with Goku without even trying, until he powers up enough to turn the tables and finish the fight without breaking a sweat. He was already so good there isn't any tangible evidence of his improvement, he's just stronger now because his number's higher.

MC1980 said:
- DB was about martial arts in the same way DBZ was about sci-fi. Funny clothes and scenery, maybe some terminology in the mix, nothing more. Hell, DB was a parody of martial arts to a degree, Yamcha is a legitimate martial artist guy with a cool sounding martial arts move, that is about a 1/10th as effective as Goku's stupid paper-scissor-rock punch joke move. Roshi's a con man who instead of teaching the kids(Goku&Krillin) martial arts, trains their cardio and teaches them math, with the goal of completing an impossible task(move a gigantic boulder). Only reason he gets found out is because they actually manage to do it, baffling Roshi completely. It also glosses over training for the most part. An actual martial arts focused thing would have spent a lot of time on monotonous training montages, learning forms and techniques, how to punch properly, kick properly, styles, hardship. None of that in DB. Most of the named techniques that aren't beams are joke moves, like volleyball attack.

FFs, the trademark move of the show, kamehameha, is learned in like 1 second by atleast 3 characters onscreen(Goku, Tenshinhan, Buu), while the rest of the cast get the thing off screen. In a proper martial arts anything, unlocking the big technique would be a focal point of the story and incredibly difficult to do.
Yeah that sort of thing was always a bit of a problem in Dragon Ball. I sort of forgive the Kamehameha because it was just a little one and not very powerful, but I was always annoyed how quickly Goku closed the gap between himself and Tao Pai Pai. 3 days is just far too short a time to make that much progress and breaks my suspension of disbelief. But then Z went and made the problem 10x worse with Zenkais and his ridiculous power jump after a couple days training in a ship.

MC1980 said:
- The writing, both story and character, is almost exactly the same across the entirety of Dragonball. Be that structure, style or storytelling. Toriyama is pretty consistent in being woeful at it, but he also doesn't indulge in it too much, so he doesn't get bogged down in meandering shallow gunk. This is true for the entire run of the manga.

Now there are a couple of differences that people notice, but can't really quantify or specify, so they just say DB and Z are different.- Dragonball was always Dragonball, be it Z or not. But, early Dragon Ball was also something else. That being a vehicle for Toriyama to rip off/come up with Tex Avery/Looney Tunes/Tom&Jerry skits to entertain himself. There's a very hard distinction in the earlier parts of DB when it's being 'Dragon Ball' and when it's being 'Looney Tunes'. As the series went on the Looney Tunes component subsided, and making a slight resurgence during Buu. Now, by itself this wouldn't confuse people, since there is a harsher line between gag scenes and normal scenes, but combined with the second point it makes for a confusing double whammy.
Personally, I really enjoyed the comedy in the show, it was part of what hooked me to begin with. I went in expecting a show about people screaming at eachother until they start glowing and got a charming, goofy show that also had exciting battles.

MC1980 said:
- Dragonball was a 12 year journey of an artist discovering how to do a basic story arc with an effective villain. Toriyama was so horrible at writing, that at the start of Dragon Ball, he didn't know how to do a standard story correctly. Every arc devolves into him doing the same thing over and over, slowly realising the obvious on how to improve it each time. It takes him until King Piccolo to make a villain that is evil, is powerful, does evil things, escalates the plot, and is prominent across an entire story arc. He had to go through Yamcha, Roshi, Taopaipai and Tenshinhan to get to this point.

After him the next 2 villains/arcs are improved rehashes of King Piccolo. That being Vegeta and Frieza. The reason why people say Z is so different isn't because it is, but because the Saiyan saga just happens to be the time when Toriyama has finally realised how to do the story structure he's been refining correctly, which is in stark contrast to the early parts of DB, where he hadn't a fucking clue. And Saiyan saga itself was the peak of pacing and structure for him, so people started on the most competently made part, versus the early parts of DB. Combine the incompetence with the prominent Looney Tunes component early on, and you have something that under a marginal lense is very different, but under a deeper lense is very much the same.
I think what you are calling refining, I would call stagnating. He always relied on Goku saving the day, but in Z he really starting leaning hard on Goku being out of commission until finally showing up at the last second to finish off the big bad. Saiyan Arc did it, then Namek did it twice with the spaceship and then the healing tank. There was a lot more variety in the narrative structure in DB than just giving us a big bad to fight, because we didn't always need that. Just focusing on winning a tournament was interesting in it's own right, or taking down a sprawling organization like the RR Army. I whole heartedly disagree that the Namek arc is a refinement on the RR Army arc.

The Saian Arc was pretty good, though, and was the last time I really enjoyed Dragon Ball. The way that the afterlife was presented was full of the wacky creativity that made earlier Dragon Ball so enjoyable to me, and there was a lot more going on in the fight against the Saiyans than the one vs Freiza.

One last thing, I really can't forgive Vegeta's heel/face turn. He was a genocidal sociopath. He killed without remorse and destroyed entire planets. He killed his ally and one of last of his species in existence because he was "too weak", and he's a good guy now? Just like that? No. No he's not! I know Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Piccolo Jr were all villains to start but none of them could compare to Vegeta. Vegeta was so far beyond the moral event horizon and yet they welcome him back without so much as an apology. Bulma has a kid with him and he killed her last boyfriend! Unbelievable!

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Drathnoxis said:
One last thing, I really can't forgive Vegeta's heel/face turn. He was a genocidal sociopath. He killed without remorse and destroyed entire planets. He killed his ally and one of last of his species in existence because he was "too weak", and he's a good guy now? Just like that? No. No he's not! I know Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Piccolo Jr were all villains to start but none of them could compare to Vegeta. Vegeta was so far beyond the moral event horizon and yet they welcome him back without so much as an apology. Bulma has a kid with him and he killed her last boyfriend! Unbelievable!
To be fair it was a saibaman that killed Yamcha, Vegeta didn't directly kill him. As for the heel/face turn thing I would agree but its not like he automatically became a good guy. In the Frieza/Android saga he was pretty much the token evil teammate and everyone treated him like crap its not like they welcomed him with open arms. The dude didn't really became a "good guy" until around the Buu saga

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Tanis said:
I like the sentiment, but NO...just NO.
DBZ: Kai SUCKED.

Changes to the voice actors, shitty new animation, weird music and sound effect issues...yeah.

Just...yikes. DBZ: Kai was just a shitty product that added NOTHING good to the series.

You either haven't watched Kai, haven't watched the original DBZ in a loooooooong time, or you have a seriously awful case of nostalgia blindness. Kai wasn't meant to add anything, only remove bullshit, which it removed about 90 episodes of (up to the Cell Saga). 90 EPISODES worth of footage were left out and it still hits all the marks. But sure, that Bruce Falconer soundtrack and Bobby Hill Gohan voice are SOOOOOO essential.