Every long-running anime should do a DBZ: Kai

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Those really long-run animes like Naruto and such should probably be written better too.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I understand removing the filler and such but I am gonna be honest, Dragon Ball Z Kai SUCKED.

They removed all the blood and made the fights look less brutal.

And I hated how the voice actors sounded like, Especially Young Gohan and Vegeta (the latter is voiced by the same actor, but changed the accent) and I miss the older soundtrack.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
gsilver said:
I might watch a One Piece Kai. That?s a show with a horrible amount of filler, mostly in padding out episodes to rediculous lengths because of how little material is available to adapt... and is also very widely loved, so it seems to have a lot going for it, regardless.
Hell, I'm not huge into anime, criticize most of the long-running shows, have seen less than half of the show, and even I love One Piece. They set up some really likeable characters with some relateable backstories in a world that can accommodate any bullshit you want to write about without it feeling forced or obtuse. Usually the characters' ultimate goals should be addressed at some point in a show, but you quickly stop caring because the characters are just doing their thing and having fun. If they found the treasure at the end of the rainbow, they'd probably just keep doing what they are doing anyway.

The first few arcs are a bit of a slog to get through. The first 50 episodes would have been a lot better if they were the first 30.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
@Kolby Jack:
Or you, know, you could just read the manga or follow a simple 'skip x' guide.

For me, Kai isn't worth the watch.

I prefer the original Dragon Ball over Z.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
PapaGreg096 said:
Drathnoxis said:
One last thing, I really can't forgive Vegeta's heel/face turn. He was a genocidal sociopath. He killed without remorse and destroyed entire planets. He killed his ally and one of last of his species in existence because he was "too weak", and he's a good guy now? Just like that? No. No he's not! I know Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Piccolo Jr were all villains to start but none of them could compare to Vegeta. Vegeta was so far beyond the moral event horizon and yet they welcome him back without so much as an apology. Bulma has a kid with him and he killed her last boyfriend! Unbelievable!
To be fair it was a saibaman that killed Yamcha, Vegeta didn't directly kill him. As for the heel/face turn thing I would agree but its not like he automatically became a good guy. In the Frieza/Android saga he was pretty much the token evil teammate and everyone treated him like crap its not like they welcomed him with open arms. The dude didn't really became a "good guy" until around the Buu saga
If you order someone to commit a crime, you are responsible for that crime. I don't see how that absolves him in any way. He would have done it, he just didn't feel like getting up. And Trunks was already born in Android arc, so Vegeta's been pretty well accepted by that point.

Tanis said:
@Kolby Jack:

For me, Kai isn't worth the watch.

How can you follow a skip guide when the fights themselves are padded to Namek and back? If you skip just "5 minutes" worth of episodes, that's a significant portion of the arc.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Drathnoxis said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Drathnoxis said:
One last thing, I really can't forgive Vegeta's heel/face turn. He was a genocidal sociopath. He killed without remorse and destroyed entire planets. He killed his ally and one of last of his species in existence because he was "too weak", and he's a good guy now? Just like that? No. No he's not! I know Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Piccolo Jr were all villains to start but none of them could compare to Vegeta. Vegeta was so far beyond the moral event horizon and yet they welcome him back without so much as an apology. Bulma has a kid with him and he killed her last boyfriend! Unbelievable!
To be fair it was a saibaman that killed Yamcha, Vegeta didn't directly kill him. As for the heel/face turn thing I would agree but its not like he automatically became a good guy. In the Frieza/Android saga he was pretty much the token evil teammate and everyone treated him like crap its not like they welcomed him with open arms. The dude didn't really became a "good guy" until around the Buu saga
If you order someone to commit a crime, you are responsible for that crime. I don't see how that absolves him in any way. He would have done it, he just didn't feel like getting up. And Trunks was already born in Android arc, so Vegeta's been pretty well accepted by that point.

Tanis said:
@Kolby Jack:

How can you follow a skip guide when the fights themselves are padded to Namek and back? If you skip just "5 minutes" worth of episodes, that's a significant portion of the arc.
I didn't mean it absolves him also its not like death means much in this series also what do you mean well accepted yeah he had trunks by the android saga but it doesn't mean anyone like him hell the reason why Tien and Picollo didn't wear any frieza armor was because they didn't want to wear the same thing Vegeta wears.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
PapaGreg096 said:
I didn't mean it absolves him also its not like death means much in this series also what do you mean well accepted yeah he had trunks by the android saga but it doesn't mean anyone like him hell the reason why Tien and Picollo didn't wear any frieza armor was because they didn't want to wear the same thing Vegeta wears.
I mean if you are having consensual kids with the main cast you sure as heck aren't reviled and despised as a genocidal sociopath aught to be. Whether Tien or Piccolo like him doesn't really change the fact that he is a defacto member of the group by that point. They don't try and enforce justice for his crimes, or retribution for their deaths, they just accept him.

Warhound

Oct 24, 2017
Drathnoxis said:
Seems like that would be a lot more effective than cutting it later in a "new" series...
In a lot of cases the anime is being made as the same time as the manga (the source material) and the anime always outpaces the manga since it's made in sweatshops or something (I don't actually know why) so they have to pad it out with extra content.[/quote]

In a lot of cases for anime IIRC they use digital art, and low frames per second, high end is 24 fps with a lot also using 10 fps for main focus objects and 8 for backgrounds which is a lot faster to turn out compared to the manga which (I think) is hand drawn and each frame is more styalized.

You can skimp on detail for things like attacks and explosions and such in an actively running show, but when drawing each frame can (And will) have more time spent being examined it by the customer.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
I understand removing the filler and such but I am gonna be honest, Dragon Ball Z Kai SUCKED.

And I hated how the voice actors sounded like, Especially Young Gohan and Vegeta (the latter is voiced by the same actor, but changed the accent) and I miss the older soundtrack.
... you know they edited the episodes they showed on Nicktoons, right? Try the DVDs.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kolby Jack said:
Samtemdo8 said:

... you know they edited the episodes they showed on Nicktoons, right? Try the DVDs.

Even then there is still the music and voice acting. I prefer the original Toonami era dub.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Kolby Jack said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Even then there is still the music and voice acting. I prefer the original Toonami era dub.
Man, I grew up on old school Toonami DBZ, and Kai is just an improvement overall. The voice actors have honed their craft, the new ones are mostly an improvement over the previous ones, the music is more varied and energetic than -most- Falconer tracks, and the pacing is just SOOOOO much better.

The intro song is pretty lame, but... eh.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Kolby Jack said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kolby Jack said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Man, I grew up on old school Toonami DBZ, and Kai is just an improvement overall. The voice actors have honed their craft, the new ones are mostly an improvement over the previous ones, the music is more varied and energetic than -most- Falconer tracks, and the pacing is just SOOOOO much better.

The intro song is pretty lame, but... eh.
Eh, I like both with flaws and all. Plus I dig the opening themes.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Drathnoxis said:
PapaGreg096 said:
I mean if you are having consensual kids with the main cast you sure as heck aren't reviled and despised as a genocidal sociopath aught to be. Whether Tien or Piccolo like him doesn't really change the fact that he is a defacto member of the group by that point. They don't try and enforce justice for his crimes, or retribution for their deaths, they just accept him.
1. He was pretty much independent from the group sure he had the same goal but its not like the other took orders from him and vice versa also seeing how Goku was suffering from a heart virus I doubt the others are going to say no to a super saiyan

2. The Z fighters aren't really superheroes sure if they see you wrecking crap they are going to stop it but as long as you aren't currently killing people they don't really care what you did also its not like anyone is going to enforce justice on Vegeta, the only persona who could kinda needs him for a training partner so its tough titties for the rest of them

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I gotta say, baring parts of Garlic Jr and the insane length of the Freeza fight, Dragonball filler is my favorite filler. It's a much needed break from the constan5 fighting and gives some focus to not-Goku.

Now, Dragonball Super is going to need...well, not a Kia series, but a remake so that it can follow the much better Manga version.