Everyones thoughts on the new "Metal gear" game

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
So, with the release of the demo of 'Metal Gear rising revengeance' what are peoples thoughts on the drastic changes in gameplay ? Do people agree with my thoughts that this could be the end of one of the most beloved stealth games on the consoles or maybe even the whole Metal Gear franchise ? or are people happier with this type of game ?

Personally (Not that you asked) I am so upset by the changes I have been waiting for this game for some long and I hated it so much I didn't even get past the 1st fight......

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
A spin-off. Featuring the character I hate most in the series (and no, it's not y making him a cyborg ninja that you wipe away the suck). And a change in gameplay that ensures the game is nothing like the rest of the series.

Not interested. At all.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
CaptQuakers said:
Personally (Not that you asked) I am so upset by the changes I have been waiting for this game for some long and I hated it so much I didn't even get past the 1st fight......
Not that you asked for a response...

Kojima's team royally screwed up. They had years to make a game, and failed miserably at it, resulting in the cancellation of Metal Gear Rising as we once knew it. The fact that Platinum Games managed to pick up the pieces to an utterly broken game, and successfully turned it into an intense action game is commendable and is undeserving of your hate because the game didn't end up being what you expected it to be.

Seriously...
this could be the end of one of the most beloved stealth games on the consoles or maybe even the whole Metal Gear franchise
What the hell is this melodrama? IT IS A SPIN-OFF. Ground Zeros is coming out soon, and will retain the classic formula we all enjoy.

Let me also add this. Platinum Games has been an absolute gem of the current generation. Their commitment to originality is unparalleled by most of their contemporaries, and games like MadWorld, Bayonetta, and Vanquish have been some of the most unique and fun games that have come out in years. The thought that a development house worthy of respect will be dragged through the mud by whiny fanboys that didn't get the Metal Gear Solid game they expected is one of the most pernicious sentiments I can think of.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Just thought id drop this here for you, friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid:_Ground_Zeroes

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
this could be the end of one of the most beloved stealth games on the consoles or maybe even the whole Metal Gear franchise

What the hell is this melodrama? IT IS A SPIN-OFF. Ground Zeros is coming out soon, and will retain the classic formula we all enjoy.
Whilst my statements were made in a blind rage and a bit rashly why did you edit them thus changing the context ?

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
CaptQuakers said:

Whilst my statements were made in a blind rage and a bit rashly why did you edit them thus changing the context ?
How in the world does taking out "do people agree with my thoughts" change the context?

What's the huge difference between this:
Do people agree with my thoughts that this could be the end of one of the most beloved stealth games on the consoles or maybe even the whole Metal Gear franchise?
And This:
It's the same damn sentiment. I edited out the part where you say that you are the one stating it (which was obvious to begin with).

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
"Do people agree with my thoughts that this could be the end of one of the most beloved stealth games on the consoles or maybe even the whole Metal Gear franchise?"

No, no, really. Metal Gear is one of Konami's most popular franchises. They wouldn't let it die when it's still going strong.

Like Darmy647 said, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zero(es) is one of Kojima's next big projects. It stays true to classic Metal Gear formula. And I think I read something about MGS5 focusing around The Boss and her special forces unit or something.

Anyway, no. It's not the death of the Metal Gear franchise. It's just a spin-off by a different company.

EDIT: Stupid video about MGS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW2OWQYkCPQ

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Iwata said:
A spin-off. Featuring the character I hate most in the series (and no, it's not y making him a cyborg ninja that you wipe away the suck). And a change in gameplay that ensures the game is nothing like the rest of the series.

Not interested. At all.
Sums up my feelings completely. I will possibly get it once the price dives below £15, mainly for the sake of trophies, but not before that.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
I don't care for the Metal Gear Solid series one bit, its just never clicked for me and it probably never will.

As far as my thoughts on it go, thats the long n' short.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well it's nice to see even without Kojima they still managed to retain the Metal Gear staple of "different" controls to everyone else.

I'm not sure yet whether I want it yet or not, the demo has made that even more difficult to decide.

Razzigyrl

Mar 22, 2011
On the one hand, it looks like it could be a fun game. On the other hand, at least judging by the demo, it just doesn't feel like a Metal Gear game. World, yes, familiar character, yes, but it's just off.

My take is currently 'meh'.

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
CaptQuakers said:
So, with the release of the demo of 'Metal Gear rising revengeance' what are peoples thoughts on the drastic changes in gameplay ? Do people agree with my thoughts that this could be the end of one of the most beloved stealth games on the consoles or maybe even the whole Metal Gear franchise ? or are people happier with this type of game ?

Prepare for more posts saying you are overracting. lets summarize

MG rising revengablah - spinoff in same universe as metal gear solid
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Next metal gear solid game

Don't fret, your tactical espionage action isn't going anywhere

for the record, I'll be purchasing - I like what I see in the trailers. Huzzah!

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
The name makes me snicker...

I mean revengeance? Really? Lol.

Other than that I don't really know too much about it.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Let me preface this: I have not played any Metal Gear games. I have watched LPs of MGS and Sons of Liberty. That's it.

NOW. What is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance? It's a Metal Gear title focusing not on Solid Snake, but Raiden. Who's Raiden? A cyborg ninja.

One could argue that, yes, a ninja protagonist should mean a stealth game. But is Raiden a stealthy character in the rest of the franchise? (Again, I uh, wouldn't know.) For the sake of making it easy, let's say that modern use of the term "ninja" refers to weaponry choice and combat style.

Raiden is not Snake. For him to play as Snake does would make him nothing more than a reskin, in terms of gameplay. Revengeance isn't attempting to be Tactical Espionage Action. So, don't act like it's ruining that.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
CaptQuakers said:

Your melodrama here makes me laugh, to be honest. Do you simply to refuse to acknowledge that Ground Zeroes even exists? This project is being handled by Kojimas team and Platinum Games, and is taking no focus away from Kojimas next big Tactical Espionage Metal Gear SOLID game. What is the problem here?

Metal Gear RISING is a spin-off altogether that could very well become it's own franchise (As kojima himself expressed interest in turning it into a franchise) That would continue to be handled by his team.

You know what though? Ever since Metal Gear Solid 1, and Gray Fox, fans have been aching for the chance to play as a cyborg ninja. Now we have the chance. And how do the 'fans' react?

Cmon... calm down there buddy. Seriously.

As for my thoughts.

Metal Gear (My most favorite gaming franchise) + Platinum Games (one of my most favorite developers)?

I pre-ordered the Collectors Edition! And I RARELY get Collector's Editions. That should tell you how excited I am in this game. I played the demo a lot, and I loved everything about it.

I'm not sure what it is with you MGS fans shouting DOOMSDAY over this game when you got another MGS title on the way, and this is a spinoff handled by another company. Why is it that I am able to understand what a 'spin-off' is, the distinction between SOLID and RISING, and 'fans' like you can't?

I also think it's bold they're putting the timeline AFTER 4 and keeping the game canon with the rest of the franchise. Now I'm curious to see how the world has evolved after Snake took down SOP. And it seems now, it's about the Mass Proliferation of Cyborg Technology. Very bad news for the MG universe indeed.

I'm looking forward to it, and it's one of my most anticipated titles this year.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I'm not particularly interested in it as a Metal Gear game, but it's a spin-off. The demo is the most fun I've had in a hack 'n' slash in years. It can rape canon as much as it wants (not to imply that it's doing so), I'll still get it day 1 because it's so damn fun.

Hagi said:
I mean revengeance? Really? Lol.
Surprisingly, it's a real word, it's just obsolete. Still sounds silly as hell, though.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I think it looks pretty damn good, a bit overblown and 'Revengeance'is the stupidest word I've ever seen used in business, but it's a spin-off (read as: Not intended as canon and having no bearing on the direction of the main body of the series)and I like the idea of cutting anything you want. And here's a chance for me to enquire about something I've never understood: I like Raiden. Why does every other fan and otherwise hate Raiden? He's an excellent swordsman and a cyborg ninja. In any other game that alone would qualify him for glory. It's not like he takes anything away from Snake, and there have been more ridiculous and contrived characters in Metal Gear.

Gun Animal

Aug 19, 2012
As a Platinum fan: The MGR:R demo alone, not the whole game, JUST THE DEMO, was the most fun I've had with a game since God Hand. The demo for Rising is more enjoyable to me than any game that's been released in the last six years. So, uhh.

As a KojiPro fan: My main concerns were an abandonment of pacifism, stealth and overly detailed world building; the things that attracted me to the Metal Gear Franchise in the first place. Well, so far we've got a wooden sword for knockouts, half the enemy encounters (in the demo) can be played without alerting enemies (this is in line with the stealth-to-action ratio of MGS4) and the amount of optional codec calls just in the demo were more than that of the entirety of MGS4, so it's already met all my expectations of the series. Furthermore, the narrative choices are interesting (a bioshock-esqe plotline substituting splicers with cyborgs) and works as a good epilogue to the events of MGS4.

It's also nice to see KojiPro finally getting to make their Cyborg Ninja game they've been trying to make for 14 years. (Grey Fox was playable in MGS: Integral/VR Missions, Raiden had a HF Blade in MGS2, Snake's action dream sequence in MGS3: Subsistence, Cyborg Ninja Raiden was playable in MGS4's online mode after the third expansion DLC. This game has literally been in the works since I was a toddler.)

Shadows Risen

Nov 1, 2011
Not played the demo yet as I've gotta wait til I get home but that OP was way too melodramatic. It's not gonna be the end of the Metal Gear series as we know it. MGS: Ground Zeros is being made and that is the type of Metal Gear you're longing for.

Rising is just a spin-off and looks like a damn good one which I'm looking forward to playing. If you don't like it, then fair enough, but tone down the drama please. It's not the end of the series, it may actually be the start of another franchise if sells well.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
I just finished the demo.....twice.

I think that this game is going to be fucking amazing based on that demo.

The whole thing seems too good to be true. The combat is amazing, it seems intricate yet simple, the graphics are amazing, manages too look beautiful with no trade off of fps lag or anything, and the story, well, metal gear has always had a good story.

I honestly think this could be game of the year material already if the entire game is at the same standard that the demo sets.

CaptQuakers said:

When has a spin off ever killed the main series?

By the way, I do believe that not even getting past the first fight is called, and follow me here, "Not giving it a chance".

How can it even impress you if you wont give it the time of day?