Everything You Know about Anime Is Wrong

A Shadows Age

Mar 30, 2011
saltychipmunk said:
Well Anime has a double definition. Yes it is a medium , this is true.
However it is also a genre. When people think of anime , they think of cartoons from japan.
And this is not just because the art style or animation style anime (true anime) all have things in common that western cartoons that share similar art styles dont have.

cartoons from japan are not cartoons from America. They come from two very different cultures.

The humor is completely different.
The violence is completely different
the action is very different.
The dialogue and story structure have subtle differences.

how often do you see western "anime" have characters think out loud to deliver story information?

How often do you have western "anime" characters explain EVERY detail of their plans and motivations, or have another character explain it for them.....

there are of course exceptions , as there are exceptions to everything. But excessive dialogue is very much a Japaneses anime thing.

when I watch the afro samurai or the boon docks not once did I see them as anime. They just dont give off the same feeling.

then again Real mature anime these days is so damn rare (maybe one good one out of a whole year)that perhaps my view points very much skewed
You need to watch more Champloo and bebop. That's your problem, you have been watching to much crap...

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
FireAza said:
Also, I glad you enjoyed reading my article! In addition to informing, I also wanted to entertain (though I'm not sure if anyone got why I chose a Sailor Moon image as one of my quiz pictures)
Is it because it has that nice (to me) looking 90s art style, like Yu Yu Hakusho, that seems kind of grainier?

Either way, very interesting read

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Yeah, well, no.

If you want to write a complete guide on anime make in more objective next time. A love letter to anime from an anime fan wont convince me of anything.

By the way, 8 of the 13 images you posted picture little kids. Way to go.
I'm inclined to agree with the above. More to the point, it seemed angry at people who don't like what the topic creator likes.

I'm kosher with "it's not what you think," but it seemed like there was a subtext of "so screw you!" in there.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Kitsuna10060 said:
-.- thank you for reminding me Zeta Gundam and Gundam Seed Destiny exist, >.> <.< now wheres the brain bleach ....
Reminding you of Seed Destiny being a bad thing I could understand (I stopped watching that series after, like, two episodes of the original Seed), but what do you have against Zeta Gundam? That's where the franchise really grew the beard, the TNG to 0079's TOS[footnote]not to start a TOS vs TNG war here, it's just that TNG is less likely to get dismissed out of hand for the cheesiness[/footnote].

Edit: Also, are you sure you weren't thinking of Gundam ZZ, which was like Zeta's version of Destiny? I haven't seen it (never released in the US, along with F91 and half of the other UC stuff), but from what I've heard, that one has a lot of haters because it starts out with a very light mood. I've never heard of anyone who didn't like Zeta, or at least not a fan of Gundam who didn't like it.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
rob_simple said:
Would you please drop the whole 'Japanese Animation' thing and just call them cartoons.

As someone who watches anime the same way I do everything else (i.e. without caring what other people think about it) threads like this warrant a heavy dose of 'This is why we can't have nice things.'

Why do you really care what 'ignorant' people think about your hobby?
Truth. The whole "it's not a cartoon, it's anime!" thing smacks of a middle school kid defending the fact that he still watches cartoons (and then by high school or college at the latest, if they're still watching they don't care.) I should know because I was in middle school at the time Toonami was first getting big, and that's pretty much exactly what was going on with that statement; that's an age where kids are concerned with wanting to grow up and be mature, it's that stage in development that C.S. Lewis pointed out as actually being healthy to spend wanting to "appear very grown up." But if you're an adult and still bothering with the distinction in a defensive manner, you may have a problem. I'll be 22 in about two weeks, I like cartoons, and I don't really care what country they come from. The avatar is because UC universe Gundam is one of my favorite Science fiction franchises (right up there with Stargate, and just below Star Trek and Star Wars), not because I'm an anime fan.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Palademon said:
lord.jeff said:
I hate using the term anime or foreign film even, being a France film doesn't automatically mean art film, to think a any country is only able to produce one genre of film is just silly.
But anime isn't a genre...
It's a medium with a certain style given by its home country, and I think it deserves a different label due to its great differences to other countries' animation.
That's what I'm saying it's not a genre it's just a cartoon that happens to come from Japan, no better no worse by default maybe different due to culture views, although several studio are catering to whats considered western taste, it's just another movie/show/comic.

A Shadows Age

Mar 30, 2011
FireAza said:
OniaPL said:
I do still think that anime is a genre rather than a medium. It is just a Japanese variant of animation/television.
I guess we could settle for half and call it a "genrium"? :p

MPerce said:
Very nice read. I've seen enough of a variety of anime to know not to treat it all the same. While all Japanese animation has some fundamental differences from American animation due to cultural differences, each anime show in itself is its own thing. I would never think about comparing Ouran High School Host Club to Paranoia Agent. Because the only thing they share in common is their country of origin.
Maybe someday people will stop throwing all of anime into one basket and hating it collectively, and instead hate certain shows on their own.
But that won't happen.
Thanks, glad to hear you're open-minded!

Jestertrance said:
Wow, I haven't heard of half of this stuff. I think I need to get out more...
Just curious, do you consider yourself a "fan" or are you more casual? I mean, I know I love really niche anime, but if you consider yourself a "fan" and you don't know half of the anime I mentioned... Well, I'm pretty far down the rabbit hole :p

Sandytimeman said:
A great read, you should have submitted that article pitch to the escapist, ANN, or 918thefan and get featured XD.
I have tried pitching stuff to The Escapist before, but I never thought of ANN... Though, this article would be preaching to the choir for them :p

Sandytimeman said:
But lets be honest Shaft sudios does some of the most orginal art direction and beautiful style in the medium second only to Ghibli...hell if I sit down and really look at it, Ghibli may be taking a silver medal for once.
OH GOD I LOVE SHAFT SO HARD. Wait, that sounded kind homoerotic... Anyway, I love studio SHAFT's work so much, while other studios are content to do what's been done before, SHAFT is all "you know what? The hell with it, we're doing something new!" and they continue to do so in everything they work on. I'll even watch series based on eroge if SHAFT worked on it.

Just as a general question for you guys, how many of you were able to read my OP in it's entirety? I know it's long, but I'm curious if I was able to hold your attention all the way though, and why. Thanks!
Your comparison used somewhat subtle differences in the beginning of your post to illustrate a division of concepts most seem to subconsciously overlap with their arguments while explaining the correct application of the definitions for each. The points that you followed with were easy to understand and accompanied by examples afterward, you did all of this from an admittedly biased perspective (I feel the same as you do) yet this was objective enough that I haven't seen anything like it on the net in a long time... Maybe I've just been in the wrong places ?

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Eh, I knew all this already. But very impressive post, especially with someone of your post count, i'm impressed. Very nice read! :)

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
-.- thank you for reminding me Zeta Gundam and Gundam Seed Destiny exist, >.> <.< now wheres the brain bleach ....
Reminding you of Seed Destiny being a bad thing I could understand (I stopped watching that series after, like, two episodes of the original Seed), but what do you have against Zeta Gundam? That's where the franchise really grew the beard, the TNG to 0079's TOS[footnote]not to start a TOS vs TNG war here, it's just that TNG is less likely to get dismissed out of hand for the cheesiness[/footnote].

Edit: Also, are you sure you weren't thinking of Gundam ZZ, which was like Zeta's version of Destiny? I haven't seen it (never released in the US, along with F91 and half of the other UC stuff), but from what I've heard, that one has a lot of haters because it starts out with a very light mood. I've never heard of anyone who didn't like Zeta, or at least not a fan of Gundam who didn't like it.
no, its Zeta, not seen ZZ yet.

the reason i hated Zeta is the same reason i hated Destiny (mostly, the other problem with Destiny was it was Seed all over again)

the whiny little prick the spent to much time focused on, in Destiny it was that whiny loser Shinn Asuka.

and Zeta had Kamille Bidan.

what sucks is that Zeta had more going for it, a squeal with out feeling like a rehash, but Kamille didn't have a character arc, he started off, a jerk, and ended an unlikeable jerk that got what he deserved imo, not to mention nothing he did seemed to matter to much. yay he designed the Zeta Gundam, yay, he stole the MK2s (for pretty much no real reason as i recall) I mean Char fuck-mothering Aznable was around, so was Amuro, (didn't really like him much in the original series, but he got better as time went on) why couldn't have been about them instead, they where way more interesting. (plus, would have be awesome seeing Char and Amuro fighting back to back)
for instance

but that pretty much the reason, Kamille fucked it up for me :/

and what was wrong with Seed? Destiny should be deleted from existence no argument there, but Seed it self was pretty good and the characters had an actual arc, beliefs called into question, sides switched, (i don't remember anybody swapping sides part way through in any of the others i've seen) which is kinda rare in the series as a whole. yeah it was the G1 Gundams story basically, but that was hardly a deal breaker for me

Wing, Seed, 8Th, War in the Pocket, Star Dust Memory, Char's Counter Attack, 00, G, X, Zeta, Destiny

A Shadows Age

Mar 30, 2011
rob_simple said:
Would you please drop the whole 'Japanese Animation' thing and just call them cartoons.

As someone who watches anime the same way I do everything else (i.e. without caring what other people think about it) threads like this warrant a heavy dose of 'This is why we can't have nice things.'

Because those ignorant people have something called a vote, and votes make laws...

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, well, no.

If you want to write a complete guide on anime make in more objective next time. A love letter to anime from an anime fan wont convince me of anything.

A nice example of a discussion that was over before it even began. Well said.

As for the original post's inquiry about whether it was able to hold my attention throughout: No. We're all biased, sure, but you could at least try to be objective. You're making yourself out to be an authority and that you're educated the unwashed masses, but you're really just a fan criticizing people who aren't. I hate to break it to you, but people who don't like a given thing aren't immediately hateful maniacs who desire nothing more than the death of all that's different from what they're accustomed to. Your thoughts, while having good intentions, I'm sure, are presented as being ridiculously arrogant.

A Shadows Age said:
rob_simple said:

Because those ignorant people have something called a vote, and votes make laws...
...Which has fuck all to do with someone not watching a television show. Horrendous analogy.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Kitsuna10060 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Kitsuna10060 said:

no, its Zeta, not seen ZZ yet.

the reason i hated Zeta is the same reason i hated Destiny (mostly, the other problem with Destiny was it was Seed all over again)

the whiny little prick the spent to much time focused on, in Destiny it was that whiny loser Shinn Asuka.

and Zeta had Kamille Bidan.

what sucks is that Zeta had more going for it, a squeal with out feeling like a rehash, but Kamille didn't have a character arc, he started off, a jerk, and ended an unlikeable jerk that got what he deserved imo, not to mention nothing he did seemed to matter to much. yay he designed the Zeta Gundam, yay, he stole the MK2s (for pretty much no real reason as i recall) I mean Char fuck-mothering Aznable was around, so was Amuro, (didn't really like him much in the original series, but he got better as time went on) why couldn't have been about them instead, they where way more interesting. (plus, would have be awesome seeing Char and Amuro fighting back to back)
for instance

but that pretty much the reason, Kamille fucked it up for me :/

and what was wrong with Seed? Destiny should be deleted from existence no argument there, but Seed it self was pretty good and the characters had an actual arc, beliefs called into question, sides switched, (i don't remember anybody swapping sides part way through in any of the others i've seen) which is kinda rare in the series as a whole. yeah it was the G1 Gundams story basically, but that was hardly a deal breaker for me

Wing, Seed, 8Th, War in the Pocket, Star Dust Memory, Char's Counter Attack, 00, G, X, Zeta, Destiny
Okay, I can understand that. It didn't bug me as much (for the same reason Amuro didn't; Amuro started out whiny, but eventually realized he had to do what he had to do. Kamille seemed to be getting better at the point I stopped watching), but then I got through most of the first season before college suddenly got a lot harder and I no longer had time to watch much TV, so I guess it's possible that it got worse again. As for Seed: I dunno. It just didn't click with me. The problem may have been that I was watching the dubbed version on Toonami, though[footnote]Seriously, has there even been a single good dub since Cowboy Bebop? There's a lot of well dubbed stuff from the 80's and 90's, but you can tell the voice actors are just looking for a paycheck in most of the recent series. Zeta< Gundam is a good example of that, actually. If the dub were any good at all, I'd watch it just because it's in 5.1 and the original track is in mono, but the voices are so horrendously bad it's not worth it -- which is sad, because Mobile Suit Gundam actually had a very good dub.[/footnote].

Also, you win points for having seen 0080. That show embodies one of my favorite things about Gundam: it's a story about two sides going to war, with each side having a pretty good reason to believe they're in the right. There's good and bad people on both sides, and it's rare that one side or the other is truly evil.

notsosavagemessiah

Jul 23, 2009
I like some anime, and chose orders to japan, and after being here for a while, i'd say everything that OP has said is somewhat true. But he has a misconception about why people don't like it. People don't like anime because they don't like it's fans, rabid weaboos who want so desperately to be a part of a culture they truthfully know nothing about. They feel the need to defend it as some sort of higher art form of a superior culture, and while the point can be made for some of them, most anime is in fact complete and utter tripe. The central conceit of what i'm trying to say then, is that like any kind of niche things it's the fans that push people away from a particular thing. Whether that be football, WH40k or anime, nobody likes somebody who acts like a complete tool about the thing they love. People tend to assign guilt by association, so they think to themselves, "boy what a goddamn loser that guy is" so they won't have any kind of interest in whatever it is you might, simply because they associate it with you and people like you no matter how good the particular thing you love so dearly may actually be.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I just came here to say that what they were eating in the picture of Princess Jellyfish is a very, very nice snack. I don't want to comment on anime, sorry, because I'm more of a manga guy. An interesting read though, I'm sure I'll understand it much better later in my life.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Cartoons can't have kids in them?

wthamireading.jpg

EDIT: dont get me wrong, I'm not a fan of anime or manga either

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Okay, I can understand that. It didn't bug me as much (for the same reason Amuro didn't; Amuro started out whiny, but eventually realized he had to do what he had to do. Kamille seemed to be getting better at the point I stopped watching), but then I got through most of the first season before college suddenly got a lot harder and I no longer had time to watch much TV, so I guess it's possible that it got worse again. As for Seed: I dunno. It just didn't click with me. The problem may have been that I was watching the dubbed version on Toonami, though[footnote]Seriously, has there even been a single good dub since Cowboy Bebop? There's a lot of well dubbed stuff from the 80's and 90's, but you can tell the voice actors are just looking for a paycheck in most of the recent series. Zeta< Gundam is a good example of that, actually. If the dub were any good at all, I'd watch it just because it's in 5.1 and the original track is in mono, but the voices are so horrendously bad it's not worth it -- which is sad, because Mobile Suit Gundam actually had a very good dub.

Also, you win points for having seen 0080. That show embodies one of my favorite things about Gundam: it's a story about two sides going to war, with each side having a pretty good reason to believe they're in the right. There's good and bad people on both sides, and it's rare that one side or the other is truly evil.
more a reply to this
"Seriously, has there even been a single good dub since Cowpony Bebop? There's a lot of well dubbed stuff from the 80's and 90's, but you can tell the voice actors are just looking for a paycheck in most of the recent series. Zeta< Gundam is a good example of that, actually. If the dub were any good at all, I'd watch it just because it's in 5.1 and the original track is in mono, but the voices are so horrendously bad it's not worth it -- which is sad, because Mobile Suit Gundam actually had a very good dub."

in my experience, Bandia had always done a good job with their dub work, so it didn't bother me to much, it is kinda dodgy in spots in Seed though I'll give you that. to bad Bandia's gone now :/

as for 0080, sir i have made it a POINT to see every Gundam to cross over to our shores (and in the case of X, hunting down a funsab), Gundam Wing blew my mind when i first saw it. Gundam is what got me into anime, so i try to keep an eye out for it.

but your right, it's a really good cross section of Gundam on the whole, the 'gray area' is front and center in that one. the ending was a nice 'twist of the dagger' to i thought, it really was a pretty sad ending for all the main cast, lest the female fedi pilot got off easy with think she was just stood up :/

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Sorry, dude. You haven't brought up anything I haven't heard dozens of times in the past ten years about why anime is so unique and diverse and deserves everyone's admiration and respect. Only maybe one of those images you posted in the thread doesn't look absolutely retarded and artistically ugly to me. I honestly doubt I'm the target audience for any of that stuff. The aesthetics and storytelling styles are so far from what appeals to me, I just have no interest in watching it. Cartoons in general and Japanese entertainment just aren't a big part enough of my life (or part at all) for this to matter at all.