Evo 2013 Champions Revealed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Evo 2013 Champions Revealed

Singapore's Kun "Xian" Ho and America's Job "Flocker" Figueroa are the respective winners of the Street Fighter IV and UMVC 3 competitions.

This weekend has probably been the most important weekend of the year for fighting game fans, with the 2013 Evo fighting tournament being held in Paris, Las Vegas. After three days of combo breakers, mix ups, air dodges, wave dashes, frame traps, and footsies, the champions of the event have risen above the competition to take the Evo gold. Here are all of your respective winners:

Super Street Fighter IV: Kun "Xian" Ho from Singapore, using the character Gen
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Job "Flocker" Figueroa from America, using the characters Zero, Vergil, and Hawkeye
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Phillip C. "KDZ" Atkinson from America using the character Superman
Super Smash Bros. Melee: Joseph "Mango" Marquez from America, using the characters Fox and Falco
The King of Fighters XIII: Reynald Tacsuan from America, using a whole boatload of characters
Street Fighter X Tekken: Seon-woo "Infiltration" Lee from Korea, using the characters Jin and Alisa
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Bae Jae "CafeId Knee" Min, using the characters Devil Jin/Bruce, Dragunov/Marduk and Heihachi/Lars
Mortal Kombat: Denzell "DJT88" Terry from America, using the character Cyrax
Persona 4 Arena: "Yume" from Japan, using the character Aigis

Fan favorite Daigo "the Beast" Umehara, referred to by the Japanese media as "God of 2D fighting games," came in at a respectable 7th place in the Street Fighter competition. "[Daigo] has risen above winning and merely wishes to express his true nature through fighting," said Seth Killian, former Capcom strategic marketing director of online and community.

Other than that, the Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 broke the fighting game stream record, with over 140,000 concurrent viewers tuning in to its twitch.tv stream. The record was previously set earlier in the night by Super Smash Bros. Melee (which Nintendo actually tried to block [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125837-Nintendo-Tried-to-Block-Evo-Streams]) with an impressive 120,000 viewers.

Source: Shoryuken [http://shoryuken.com/]

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
http://www.heavy.com/homepage/page/2/

The Super Street Fighter IV play was amazing, even on Friday prior to the final bracket.

They claimed on the final stream (SSFIV) that they had 150,000 viewers for the finals (Xian vs Tokido).

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
"Even a god is not invincible."

I ended up missing a good chunk of Evo due to work, so it kinda saddens me that this seemed to be the year of upsets. The only thing I'm actually kinda surprised about is the fact that ChrisG did not win UMvC3, but again, even a god is not invincible.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I was only interested in the King of Fighters XIII stream, but the organisation of it was very poor. I don't even think there was English commentary for KoF. If there was, it wasn't at the hours they advertised.

Bit of a shame.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Great tournament. KOF13 and Melee was great, SF4 was pretty damn good as well. Didn't expect Xian to win, especially with four of the five japanese 2D gods in top 8, as well as heavy hitters like GamerBee, Infiltration and PR Balrog(who also played exceptionally well).

Candidus said:
I was only interested in the King of Fighters XIII stream, but the organisation of it was very poor. I don't even think there was English commentary for KoF. If there was, it wasn't at the hours they advertised.
Here you go, english commentary on the main stream, starting at 22 minutes [http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo1/b/430438070]. Where were you watching? ô.o
Also, what else was wrong with the organization? I can't think of anything wrong with that tournament, in all honesty.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Naeras said:
Where were you watching? ô.o
Also, what else was wrong with the organization? I can't think of anything wrong with that tournament, in all honesty.
Oh...

Well, on day one I went and got the times for the KoF pools (Saturday) and finals (Sunday), adjusted them for my timezone and set some alarms. I went to twitch on those alarms, searched for the streams and found nothing KoF on any of the three main channels (srkevo channels 1-3).

Obviously I just... I don't even know. Just, thank you for the link. T-T

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Candidus said:
Naeras said:
Where were you watching? ô.o
Oh...

Well, on day one I went and got the times for the KoF pools (Saturday) and finals (Sunday), adjusted them for my timezone and set some alarms. I went to twitch on those alarms, searched for the streams and found nothing KoF on any of the three main channels (srkevo channels 1-3).

Obviously I just... I don't even know. Just, thank you for the link. T-T
Oh, you didn't even get it? Ouch.

Well, enjoy the top 8 then. It's seriously great play, with a couple of "how the fuck did that even work"-moments thrown in(including whiff-punishing with fullscreen Neomaxes <3).

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
This year's EVO was absolutely wonderful. Everyone that I pretty much wanted to win the tourney won in their respective games.

Xian deserves it after all the work he's done the past few years. Flocker deserves his UMvC3 title after working so hard to improve to this point. And Reynald provided (for me) the most hype grand finals with his excellent no-holds-barred EX Kyo and Benimaru play.

Now KoFXIII just needs to come out on PC so I can play it there and not have to pay a new wireless adapter for my 360 plus a subscription.