Evolve! But without Monsters?

Colin Bagley

Apr 20, 2011
Just a very small post this time.

I'm loving Evolve. Especially Monstering about. I've played a Monster enough to know just how much easier it is, compared to playing as the Hunters. You can easily do well, as long as you're not still learning how to Monster.

So if you ARE a skilled Monster player, do us all a favour and show your face, every so often.

I've played games (Both sides of the hunt) where the Hunters never find the Monster until he/she's already Stage 3 and a hulking unstoppable behemoth, and WANTS to be found.

Playing as a Monster, it's fun as hell to constantly elude the Hunters, by simply being faster and more agile. Especially once you get the Wraith.

However, as a Hunter, it turns Evolve into a 10-minute running simulator. Putting it somewhere on the scale between frustrating and boring. Which shouldn't be the case, considering all that Evolve has to offer.

So Fellow Monsters, join me in showing up to your own hunt!

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
This isn't a problem with the monster, but rather with the hunters. Unskilled hunters (like me and my group) will routinely engage in "running simulator 2015" until stage 3 comes around, but it is because we aren't adept enough at predicting monster behavior or knowledgeable about the maps. I played with some experienced hunters in the Closed Beta and they had an almost uncanny ability to constantly figure out where the monster was headed and beat it to the punch.

It is also, partially, a problem with how Maggie is designed as a trapper. Since Daisy only follows trails, new players are likely to only follow Daisy and thus always be one step behind. It was a lot easier to find the monster once the trapper was Griffin instead, who could more reliably predict the monsters movement through his sensor spikes.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
It's basically up to how skilled the Trapper is. When I played during the beta, Maggie/Griffin were the reason the humans succeeded or lost. Technically having the other players there is important, but only insofar as they can add DPS to the situation. Well, unless the monster is Kraken, I guess. I don't know if they changed anything for the gold version, but in the beta, I could consistently wipe the Hunters at level 1 with Kraken, and level 2 was basically 'Kiss your ass goodbye'.

Colin Bagley

Apr 20, 2011
Yes. I must say that a Hunt wins and loses on the Trapper.
I'd say that Maggie would be the better option, in general. Since Daisy starts going in the right direction IMMEDIATLY, instead of having to run about setting up Spikes all over the place, or tag every single critter on the map.
And getting an early advantage on knocking down Monster health is VITAL.

This might sound like I'm blowing my own whistle here. But I've just experienced my first Hunter win in about 4 hours of playing, with me as Maggie. Although I must say that the rest of my team were brilliant too, once the fighting began. Medic kept us all alive and kicking, with Support shielding and stealthing like a Pro.
We were facing Wraith, btw.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I would surmise more people are learning the nuances of the monster and becoming better at it then are mastering the Hunting game. While probably just using bog-standard FPS tactics on the hunters, which are hit and miss.

It'll probably swing around a bit once people learn how to use their Hunters (Trapper particularly)

Mental Cosmas

Jul 23, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
It's basically up to how skilled the Trapper is. When I played during the beta, Maggie/Griffin were the reason the humans succeeded or lost. Technically having the other players there is important, but only insofar as they can add DPS to the situation. Well, unless the monster is Kraken, I guess. I don't know if they changed anything for the gold version, but in the beta, I could consistently wipe the Hunters at level 1 with Kraken, and level 2 was basically 'Kiss your ass goodbye'.
Well, from my experience you do at least need to get to level 2 to wipe them now, not that i'm an expert. I've had one game where the monster managed to win at level 1 (although weirdly enough they were a Goliath... they were really good and I at least did pretty bad OK?)

I'll admit I've had some fun sneaking around as a Goliath (pretty hilarious to tiptoe around the hunters as a giant gorilla and successfully avoid them, if I had mic I probably would have given myself away...) and dashing about as a Kraken to avoid getting caught early.

The problem is, that one game aside, at level 1 you really stand no chance, and an early doming usually leaves you in a situation where level 3 is nearly required. level 2 when mostly uninjured it is possible to win (heck, that's most of my monster victories so far), but even then you'll want to armor up first (I'm a little sad you lose all your armor when you evolve... You do lose it right? I think i remember losing it), and that's really the earliest in my experience that feels remotely fair to confront the hunters, so you've still strung them along for a while before giving them a good fight (not as long as waiting until stage 3, but probably enough to frustrate them)

But yeah, you've really got to plan out your hunt a bit. Blindly following the trail means you'll always be one step behind. I think there can be some blame put on both sides of the chase up to a point.