Evolve Pulled From Steam, Gets Mysterious Countdown

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Hm, I don't think "craziest" is the word they're looking for. Maybe...more like "incredibly predictable and a prelude to death sentence to every game that's ever made poor development decisions".

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Zydrate said:
Worgen said:
Going free to play, calling it. Considering how much dlc they had, it would make sense.
I'd actually try playing it, then. It'd depend on the P2W elements of any extra monsters, and how long matchmaking is.
Didn't stick with it long enough to see the DLC monsters, but the first round of DLC hunters were heading that way, with several of the DLC ones being multi-role fillers with previously exclusive abilities from other classes.

Granted, that could've equally been a loss for ideas as a P2W strategy. Run out of ideas, just start copying existing abilities to different guys with minor cosmetic alterations.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Me and a few friends would probably play it if it were free.

But we'd need a party of 5. The Kraken just made the game un-fun, and lack of communication between teammates/enemy was also a super-massive detractor. I had a chance to play a trial, and really, It's a good idea, but it's just not impressive by any stretch of the imagination.

Hopefully, things have changed considerably.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
008Zulu said:
If you hold your breath for that kind of fairness, you'd pass out and hit your head on the coffee table first :)

OT; Is a game going f2p really worthy of putting a countdown on the store page? Seems... weak.
Pretty much everything about the marketing and sales of Evolve an be described as weak. Why would the latest announcement be any different? Still, if it's free it might actually be worth picking up and playing again, although it's most fundamental flaw on release was how boring it quickly became,
Pyrian said:
That's got to be annoying to people who paid full price. Maybe they should get some bonus DLC at least?
At this point, if any of them still care the prospect of having people to pay the game with again would surely outweigh the frustration of them having gotten in for free.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
A bad game that couldn't make it as a fully priced product because nobody wanted to play it and they think switching to some abysmal f2p model will save them.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Not much of a mysterious countdown now, now that the devs explained it goes F2P.
Although, I have no bloody clue how it'll help the game since you practically get it with a box of cornflakes, if unwanted perhaps.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
F2P has been confirmed, hopefully it helps the game out. I find Evolve to be such a sad story, there is so much about that game I love, but stupid greedy decisions killed it.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
SirSullymore said:
F2P has been confirmed, hopefully it helps the game out. I find Evolve to be such a sad story, there is so much about that game I love, but stupid greedy decisions killed it.
Blame 2K. And currently they are well underway to kill Battleborn the same way.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
SirSullymore said:
I know, I like BB too! I guess I just like any class/hero based shooter game. Haha
Hey. I bought Bb day one, and later on got the seasonpass. Though 2K's meddling made me want to take a long break from the game until all SP content is released. Damn shame though, Orendi and Whisky Foxtrot are my favorite characters in that game.

Wish GBX could go to another publisher for BL3...

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, i completely forgot about it. i know how many people complained not only about the DLCs, but also that the game isnt anything special. i know angry joe gave it a poor review.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Metalrocks said:
i know angry joe gave it a poor review.
Probly because they didn't give him a paid preview deal.

On a more serious note: ogh gosh golly gee, what a HUGE amd CRAZY change! Can't wait maybe try it... For maybe 2 or 3 hours.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
So what about the console editions? You know...the way more expensive versions that also probably have like 2 people left playing? Never bought or tried the game before. Seems like an awful waste of money for a multiplayer only game that also requires an internet and console online subscription (oh and friends!) to enjoy. That's not even mentioning the frankly insulting DLC practices.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Zulnam said:
Metalrocks said:

On a more serious note: ogh gosh golly gee, what a HUGE amd CRAZY change! Can't wait maybe try it... For maybe 2 or 3 hours.
lol, maybe.

if its for free, i may give it a try as well. nothing to lose besides some loss of data from the download.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Metalrocks said:
Zulnam said:
Metalrocks said:

lol, maybe.

if its for free, i may give it a try as well. nothing to lose besides some loss of data from the download.
And time, maaaaaaaan.

I mean, who the f*ck has the time? I've got around 20 games in the backlog that want to play but haven't booted yet, thanks to steam sale / humble monthly.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Zulnam said:
Metalrocks said:

Really? Paid review accusations? What year is this, 2007? Did Kane and Lynch just come out?

Reviews are subjective. Not every reviewer's going to hit whatever sweet spot it is you've determined as your personal objectivity threshold.

Evolve's fine, it's just that its formula wears thin excessively quickly. Add the ridiculous amount of DLC to the mix, and you've got a project that values profit over quality gameplay.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
IamLEAM1983 said:
Zulnam said:
Metalrocks said:

Really? Paid review accusations? What year is this, 2007? Did Kane and Lynch just come out?
Soothe your mammaries and you might notice that there was a P in front.

He openly admitted to doing paid previews. Remember? No, course you don't.