Evolve Review - Intelligent Design

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Lightknight said:
My problem is more in feeling like I'm buying a game piecemeal rather than getting the full game that I would have before DLC was a thing.

I absolutely don't mind DLC for full games. But titles like Destiny have just ruined the notion of building a game for DLC like these studios are doing.

Do you feel like this was a full game or would you even really know since you've only had a limited time to review it? I'm betting few people knew that Destiny was as short as it was by the time they put a review up. Or, since this is basically a multi-player title only I guess this would be easier to ascertain the "fullness" of. Do you feel like there is enough meat on the bones to warrant buying it in vanilla form or is this a game to wait for one winter's eve where I find it on sale along with a DLC bundle?

*Sigh* I just wish I could pay for a thing and get the thing. Game + ALL DLC and it not be $200.
From what I've played, I don't think the vanilla game is shortchanged in any way. It is a multiplayer title, but you can play it offline as well with bots, so that's a good way to learn.

I don't think you're going to "need" any of the DLC to enjoy the game to its fullest. I spent something like 40 hours playing during the press preview without the DLC characters, and never felt like it was lacking. That said, it depends on you. Some people want all the add-ons and characters, and if you're one of those, you should probably wait for the inevitable "Game of the Year" (or whatever) edition that packs everything in.

It's as much a full game as Left 4 Dead was, and maybe a bit more, since the Evacuation mode changes things up so much.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
ffronw said:
From what I've played, I don't think the vanilla game is shortchanged in any way. It is a multiplayer title, but you can play it offline as well with bots, so that's a good way to learn.
Offline? Bots? That's fantastic. I certainly wasn't expecting that with offline gaming being seriously shortchanged this gen.

Any idea how many people can play it on the same console? I'm still waiting on a legitimate FPS to invite people to play on the new consoles. Everything seems bottle-necked at two players if not one.

I don't think you're going to "need" any of the DLC to enjoy the game to its fullest. I spent something like 40 hours playing during the press preview without the DLC characters, and never felt like it was lacking. That said, it depends on you. Some people want all the add-ons and characters, and if you're one of those, you should probably wait for the inevitable "Game of the Year" (or whatever) edition that packs everything in.

It's as much a full game as Left 4 Dead was, and maybe a bit more, since the Evacuation mode changes things up so much.
That's pretty darn high praise. Thank you for taking the time to response as that has opened me up a lot more to considering this game!

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
ffronw said:

I find the problem with DLC is the value each individual assigns to the content and how their personal views impact that decision. One thing I have never really understood are the people that are upset that DLC exists, but perfectly happy demanding expansion which normally both get the same source for the content.

Right now I think the game that has bugged me the most with DLC is Assassin's Creed Unity, for I have avoided the game because of the bugs and other issues around it so all my knowledge is second hand. It sounds like they have another level of weapons and upgrades that can only be completed if you pay for them. If Evolve DLC never feels like "you need to buy this class or you are at a disadvantage" I have no problem with it, but the moment it feels like you need to give them extra money I will remember that in the future.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Lightknight said:
Offline? Bots? That's fantastic. I certainly wasn't expecting that with offline gaming being seriously shortchanged this gen.

Any idea how many people can play it on the same console? I'm still waiting on a legitimate FPS to invite people to play on the new consoles. Everything seems bottle-necked at two players if not one.
Unfortunately, I don't know from experience, as I spent all my time with the PC version.

I just realized something I left out of the review that I should have mentioned. If you're playing with a less-than-full group, you can actually hotswap between the AI-controlled characters, so you can try different characters within the same game. Plus, if you have a friend using a DLC Hunter you don't have, you can jump into that character and use it (assuming they swap to another character), even if you don't own the DLC associated with it.

EDIT: I accidentally a word.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
ffronw said:
Lightknight said:

Unfortunately, I don't know from experience, as I spent all my time with the PC version.

I just realized something I left out of the review that I should have mentioned. If you're playing with a less-than-full group, you can actually hotswap between the AI-controlled characters, so you can try different characters within the same game. Plus, if you have a friend using a DLC Hunter you don't have, you can jump into that character and use it (assuming they swap to another character), even if you don't own the DLC associated with it.

EDIT: I accidentally a word.
Well then, that's mighty fine information. Depending on the quality of the bots I'll be very happy. Thanks again. Nice to see a Van Cleef fan writing reviews.

Darxide

Dec 14, 2009
Sanunes said:
My biggest concern with the game is still what was mentioned in the article being stuck with a bad group hurting the fun I am having with the game. Its frustrating in other multiplayer games I have played in the past when you have the one person that thinks they know better then everyone else dies a lot and then starts to curse out the group because "we are noobs" and it sounds like you rely upon one another much more then what I have experienced in the past.

The other concern I have is the longevity of the game, for I know the game has more options for a solo player then Titanfall, but I keep thinking it might wind up like with the near empty lobbies that it has on the PC version right now.

With those concerns I am still interested, but I will be waiting to see more on it before I make my final decision.
That's any multiplayer game with a matchmaking system. Just play some games until you find a few good players, ask if you can friend them and after a little bit you have a list of good players that you can join up with for some really good games. Protip: This isn't just for your 4 hunters, you can also have a fifth friend join up as the monster so you know you won't be fighting a scrub monster.

Darxide

Dec 14, 2009
Lightknight said:
Well then, that's mighty fine information. Depending on the quality of the bots I'll be very happy.
It's nothing groundbreaking, but the bots are actually pretty well coded, especially the monster AI.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Worgen said:
If they didn't make the game a full $60 release then I would get it, if $60 included the season pass then I would get it, its just too much for what feels like slightly limited content.
Yeah, I don't necessarily mind an MP-only or a "DLC Platform" type game, but chucking the full 70 (CAD) tag on something that is both of those seems a little much. The monster *might* be worth the 15 they're charging, but the game is still a bit of an unproven commodity to be selling that highly priced an option before its even out. I'm pretty sure the Hunter pack will absolutely not be worth the asking price, as even in Beta the Hunters start feeling samey, and seem to have exhausted most practical options already in terms of weapon types.

The other problem is that playing with friends is all well and good, but one random cowboy can easily ruin your match, especially while pursuing the Ranking up objectives fiercely to the detriment of the actual game objective. You can also end up with your chosen class slot being abruptly shuffled away from you to someone, since the game bases it on people's prioritized list of choices. Rather then simply matching someone prioritized to Assault into your Medic/Support/Trapper team, you simply get a random guy who may take your Trapper slot, bump you into Support, and knock the Medic into assault, resulting in chaos as everyone adjusts or tries to learn an unfamiliar role.

HostileParadox

Apr 25, 2011
Worgen said:
If they didn't make the game a full $60 release then I would get it, if $60 included the season pass then I would get it, its just too much for what feels like slightly limited content.
Green Man Gaming actually has a VIP sale for the PC version right now.
Digital Deluxe which is the base game + Hunting Season Pass is $60.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/?gmgr=kiwovatu

Having said that, I thought this game was going to get ripped to shreds on the Escapist.
And then I remembered, Jim Sterling doesn't work here anymore.

I don't want to say his video was misinformed, I just feel he didn't provide all the facts about the game, like all future maps and game modes would be free, and you could play with all the DLC characters as allies even if you didn't buy the game. And that it was not going to be Pay to win.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
HostileParadox said:
Worgen said:
Green Man Gaming actually has a VIP sale for the PC version right now.
Digital Deluxe which is the base game + Hunting Season Pass is $60.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/?gmgr=kiwovatu

Having said that, I thought this game was going to get ripped to shreds on the Escapist.
And then I remembered, Jim Sterling doesn't work here anymore.

I don't want to say his video was misinformed, I just feel he didn't provide all the facts about the game, like all future maps and game modes would be free, and you could play with all the DLC characters as allies even if you didn't buy the game. And that it was not going to be Pay to win.
I am aware of the gmg sale and its tempting, if I didn't have to sign up for the site then I would probably do it.

Sterling was right in his vid on the game, when they first announced the game they talked a lot about dlc and this was before they even had put out any screen shots. I never thought it would be pay 2 win, I just worried about the amount of content and the value of it.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
inu-kun said:
Evolve:
Intelligent Design; Unintelligent marketing.
That's what it sounds like.

I played this at PAX Prime 2014; I loved it. Left PAX and preorder it.

Then all the DLC-fest came and I un-preordered it.

Based on this review and several others, will look to pick this up when I get some free time.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Perhaps for a steam sale at a later date. This game doesn't have enough to it to justify 60 bucks. Maybe when the rest of the maps and game modes actually come out and it's on sale for less than 25.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
no matter how good this game is, it was just marketed so poorly, i dont think i could support it in any way.

Turtle rock's attitude about dlc should not be encouraged, i cant fathom how the people behind left 4 dead could mess that up so badly.
left 4 dead had such a great reputation for quality and value attached to it, and at the first opportunity they piss away all that goodwill with their abysmal dlc plans

ya fucked up, son

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I'm happy to hear that it's good. Both my brother and me rather enjoyed the beta/alpha/whatever, but I was worried that it'd get old too fast. Titanfall certainly did. My own backlog of games is way too large to invest in another right now (barely started Freedom Wars or Soul Sacrifice Delta, haven't even touched Bayonetta 2, and Monster Hunter 4 and Majora's Mask are on the way soon), I might give him a heads up about this.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
so, the dlcs are not needed to enjoy the game. maybe i can get it. but for now, i wait for a price drop. 60$ is just too much lately for me and i have to sit a bit on the money.

Groenteman

Mar 30, 2011
I do take a bit of issue with wording like 'free monsters' or 'free maps' in a $60 game.

But its good to hear the game has at least something going for it rather than being nothing more than a DLC peddling platform. I might peruse this one on a steam sale.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
inu-kun said:
Evolve:
Intelligent Design; Unintelligent marketing.
Indeed. The more I hear about the game from people not involved with developing or marketing it, the better it sounds. If the devs had just kept their mouths shut, things would have gone so much better for them.

josemlopes said:
The problem that I am having its that it seems like one of those where its good, as in the first five minutes are great, but then its the same thing over and over.
Is there a single multiplayer game for which that's not the case? Hell, is there a single multiplayer anything where it's not the case? Things like football and pool are no different, the important part is always that each game goes differently because you're playing against different people doing different things even though the basic game is always identical.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Kahani said:
josemlopes said:
The problem that I am having its that it seems like one of those where its good, as in the first five minutes are great, but then its the same thing over and over.
Is there a single multiplayer game for which that's not the case? Hell, is there a single multiplayer anything where it's not the case? Things like football and pool are no different, the important part is always that each game goes differently because you're playing against different people doing different things even though the basic game is always identical.
But the problem is the pricing, I dont mind multiplayer only games but to price it full 60$ plus the huge amount of DLC that it already has is asking too much.