Ex-Bulletstorm Devs Unveil The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ex-Bulletstorm Devs Unveil The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

[video=6798]
Former members of the studio that gave the world "dicktits" are trying their hand at something completely different.

The Astronauts [http://www.theastronauts.com/], the Warsaw-based indie studio formed by veterans of Bulletstorm and Painkiller developer People Can Fly, has announced its first game, and it's probably not what you think. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a "weird fiction horror" story that will follow the adventures of a detective with supernatural abilities on the trail of a kidnapped young boy, and rather than blood-soaked violence and copious cursing, the focus will be on "immersive storytelling."

"What we care about the most is that the players feel like they're really there. Immersion is our number one priority," designer Adrian Chmielarz explained. "It's a game about exploration and discovery. We're not abandoning the gameplay - on the contrary, we're trying to strip it down to the bone and make sure it's always meaningful and truly makes the experience better."

Little is known about the game and the teaser isn't particularly informative, but your pursuit will eventually lead you to a beautiful mountainous region, where you discover the badly mutilated corpse of one of the kidnappers. From there, you'll have to uncover the secrets of the valley and the ancient force that rules it, on your way to finally uncovering the fate of the young boy. The studio said the game is inspired by "the weird fiction stories and other tales of macabre of the early 20th century," and is meant to be played "at night, alone, and in headphones."

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter will be released for the PC via digital distribution platforms later this year.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Fuck me, this came out of nowhere.

And the premise is kind of interesting, so I'll probably check it out.

CAPTCHA: in the cart

THAT'S IT. I'M DONE.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Damn, that's one fantastic looking artstyle.

Shows that that's one of the finer points of Bulletstorm's devs. I am still of the opinion that that game is horribly underrated. It's one of the most beautiful shooters I've played in ages.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Damn that looks really good, visually anyways.

It sounds interesting enough, so I will have to check it out when it does come out.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
rhizhim said:
so another trailer that says as much as nothing about the game at all.

they might had as well make a bunny pop out of nowhere and make him yell "WHAT'S UP, DOC!"
he looks like Elmer Fudd.
Advertising exits to entice you with the product, not to inform you about it. Why would we have an entire industry built around informing you about video games if the ads were meant to do it?

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
The fact it's being made by people from People Can Fly is more than enough. Sign me up.

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010

Look, is there anything more I can say? Detective + Immersion are like the ultimate password to my back account. I'm almost as intrigued about this game as I was with LA Noire.