Ex-Gearbox Developer Casts Doubt on Aliens Development

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Ex-Gearbox Developer Casts Doubt on Aliens Development

Primary development of Aliens: Colonial Marines is TimeGate Studios work, according to ex-Gearbox employee.

The long wait is over, and Aliens: Colonial Marines [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10187-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Review-Game-Over-Man] is out there, for better or worse; but who made it? One ex-Gearbox developer has cast doubt on its origins, claiming that the bulk of the game was TimeGate Studios' doing.

"I used to work at Gearbox," says the anonymous developer [http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2080612&forum_id=13], "and the development of that game has been a total train wreck, going on what, 6 years now? Gearbox isn't even making the game, except for the multiplayer. Primary development was outsourced to TimeGate Studios, which has a less than stellar past."

The statement, first brought to the internet's attention by was 80% in-house [https://twitter.com/supererogatory].

"I hope it proves me wrong," the source goes on to say, "as I still have a lot of friends still working at Gearbox, but I am expecting it to be average at best."

Though it's early days yet, Aliens: Colonial Marines isn't having a happy time over at Metacritic [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/aliens-colonial-marines], where the Metascore at time of writing is 50/100.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-12-aliens-colonial-marines-primary-development-outsourced-to-section-8-developer-timegate-studios-report]

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
This just in: reviews and scores should be taken with a grain of salt.

CoD gets 9's and 10's and The Old Republic was a REVOLUTION in MMOs! Metacritic is useless when most reviewers are reviewing the 360 version of the game.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
VanQQisH said:
This just in: reviews and scores should be taken with a grain of salt.

CoD gets 9's and 10's and The Old Republic was a REVOLUTION in MMOs! Metacritic is useless when most reviewers are reviewing the 360 version of the game.

That's weird, looks like the brightness has been turned way up for no apparent reason and they put a blue-tinted filter over everything. Very strange.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
My God! Washed out colors and and less detailed rendering? THIS GAME IS UNPLAYABLE!
And the frame rate! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO THE FRAME RATE!?!
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but they seem to be the major things people are screaming about the game at the moment. I do think it looks awful and I feel bad for the folks paying full price for the 360 version. Then again, they never specified what settings they were running either version on. I still haven't seen footage of the PS3 version so this is not me going "consoles suck" since I will always defend my PS3.

Hell, even the professional reviewers on there aren't too pleased with what they're playing. And that 0 user score is just more proof that metacritic should not be taken seriously and that was the point of my post.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
VanQQisH said:
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but they seem to be the major things people are screaming about the game at the moment. I do think it looks awful and I feel bad for the folks paying full price for the 360 version. Then again, they never specified what settings they were running either version on.
To be honest it still doesn't bother me since Alandoril pointed out the washed out colours for the 360 as if the TV had been specifically set to that (My tv never has any game look anything that washed out).

This is also one of those moment where PC players could say it's better on their platform but at the end of the day they most likely won't enjoy this game in particular for it being what it is.

I've also discussed with my room mate and we both agreed we would give the campaign a go over this Thu and give multiplayer a 4-5 hour tryout and if it doesn't give us a good vibe then the next day there will be a refund and the money will be put towards the new Metal Gear due out next week so it won't really be an overall loss to us two.

This is also probably the second time I'm taking a huge grain of salt seeing as how Fall of Cybertron flew under everyone's radars and will probably do so even though it was a great game and it not getting the attention it deserved did cross a few wires.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
What's that? Gearbox shits out yet another awful, half-assed game?

Consider me shocked! Shocked, I say!!

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
So turns out taking 10 years, constant delays, cancellation, re-imagined, then outsourcing most of the work to outside contractors is not the best way to make a game. Who'd of though it.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
So turns out taking 10 years, constant delays, cancellation, re-imagined, then outsourcing most of the work to outside contractors is not the best way to make a game. Who'd of though it.
I was looking this up for something else but it applies here as well