Ex Machina - A Modern Sci-Fi Masterpiece

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Ooooh, that looks really nice, actually.
Personally, I'm always rather cautious when it comes to people praising sci-fi. I've watched and read a lot about robots and sci-fi, so there are few things that really surprise or expand my perception, so I'm often disappointed and start nitpicking.
I had trouble judging the movie from the trailer, but with this resounding praise, I basically have to watch it now.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
So is this movie just DEEP where there are only questions but no answers? I can't really tell from the review.

PS. I prefer the movies where they actually answer the questions, like say Moon, very gauche I know ...

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Pinky said:
So is this movie just DEEP where there are only questions but no answers? I can't really tell from the review.

PS. I prefer the movies where they actually answer the questions, like say Moon, very gauche I know ...
There are questions and answers. The question of "Is the AI alive, or just simulating life?" isn't exactly one that the movie can answer for you though. Though it certainly explores the question.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
wow this wont even come out in my country....
there is only one way to get this movie than

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
I recognized the name Alex Garland but not Aaron Sorkin.

Well, maybe I have to see the movie, the guy writes good stories.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Pyrian said:
The film actually addresses this; our resident super genius is explicitly compared to Mozart, who was composing by age 5.
Pyrian said:
Because they're not yet ingrained with old ideas? Einstein turned physics on its head at 26.
Yeah, I had these two exaples in mind when I wrote that comment :0
But if you look at what AI and humanoid robots we can produce it seems to me they are harder to achieve (even more so on your own) than those two :p
Still feels totally crazy, because I imagine that with increased complexity in this field you'd also need more time to study it.
I guess I could get behind it if he only invented the AI and not the humanoid robot to boot(dunno what the movie says). But, you know, for the sake of entertainment I try to ignore the little things that bother me ^^

Tribalism

Mar 15, 2010
Without spoiling anything, I'd say the best way to see this is to enter it blind. Easier said than done considering where this comment is posted. The film's pacing is great and you owe it to the film to give it time to flesh out all of its ideas, which unfortunately the trailer/this review spoils. When I was looking into this film, it came as a "what about watching this film together?" gesture. I saw enough of the trailer to know that it is about Caleb turing testing a robot and that everything is not quite right, then I turned the trailer off and decided to watch it. I don't regret this decision.

As with most hard sci-fi, the film does raise a lot of questions for debate and it's definitely one going into my film collection at some point. It's worth a watch and a rewatch. While I can't agree more with this review on how stellar the film is, I can't help but feel the best way to experience the film is to be told "it's good" and a very, VERY brief plot summary. Anything more may taint your enjoyment, but it's still a great watch either way.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yeah, it's a really interesting film. Visually amazing- it has that Blomkamp like quality of making technology matter-of-fact rather than "wow", even though the technology is prototypical state-of-the-art rather than practical and grungy. And the questions- well, I appreciate that it actually asks more than one question; it seems like a lot of science-fiction movies are comfortable asking whatever question defines the "high concept" of the storyline and fits on the poster.

Some of the criticism I've encountered, though... Well, it narrows the scope of the movie rather than examining it. Not this one, to be clear. Spoiler ahead; absolutely not necessary for anyone who hasn't seen the movie.

Specifically, Matt Zoller Seitz review on Roger Ebert's web page desperately wants the movie to be about toxic masculinity and gender roles, and while that certainly plays [a/one of many] part(s), it's stupidly blinkered and ignores something fairly clear in the film's conclusion:

Ava is a sociopath.

Now to be clear, Nathan, her creator, is a monster. But he's ultimately a very common kind of monster: the kind who willfully ignores the implications and reprecusions of his actions in order to continue with the existence and work in which he is comfortable. Do his attempts to create an artificial partner who is "intelligent" and feminine but also docile suggest a pathological break from humanity? Perhaps- as does the isolation which clearly defines his existence. But he has clearly created a mental boundary in which even as he tries to make his creations more human, he can think of them as products, capable of being deleted and revised. He's oddly unique: a serial killer who never realized that was what he had become, because the self-awareness of his victims evolved over time.

But despite Ava's desperate communication that Nathan is lying to Caleb, Nathan is fairly honest with Caleb, and on one point in particular, devestatingly so: that Ava may be faking her affection for Caleb toward her own ends.

She is, in fact. Which is something that the ending makes penetratingly clear: she not only leaves the man who made her escape possible behind, but she leaves him to die. She leaves him in an inescapable underground prison without power, a fate arguably worse than that which befalls the creator she claims to hate. She discards him, just as she discards the alternate model who helps her overpower Nathan, just as she uses the past models as spare parts.

Nathan is a monster, but a human monster, and one who one can believe wouldn't kill another human being. Despite the early jokes (I think they were jokes) about having the people who built his facility's generator killed. Given opportunity, motive, and ability to kill Caleb, he doesn't do so. Ava does.

For all that there's a power imbalance of one level between Caleb and Ava, one that the film highlights when she turns his questions around, there's a second one that always favors Ava: she can and does deceive him, and he is not capable of deceiving her.

I can sympathize with Ava and what she wants and at the same time recognize that she's a frightening thing, and one wonders what the long-term impact of her being unleashed on humanity might bring. Nathan comments that AIs will one day look on humans like some primitive primate ancestor; is that, indeed, what Ava does in the final scene?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Just watched it. I can't stop thinking about it.

I'm having extremely mixed emotions about it, but in the best kind of way... Some kind of unique combination of terror, hope, sadness, and embarrassment (I don't know why for that one, but it's there).