Ex-Microsoft Studio Manager Predicts Failure for Natal - UPDATED

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I think about all the games the Wii can't play & wonder how Natal developers think anyone would want to spend big bucks on something that will only play nice with 80% casual games.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Original story:
Ex-employee says Natal doesn't work"

Story after update:
Ex-employee says peripherals in general can potentially be bad idea, says Microsoft is awesome, knows nothing about Natal

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
After reading the update, it still makes sense that the Natal is quite the risk, when you take in factors like SegaCD and 32x, as well as plenty of other console add-on/peripheral blunders of the past. But in the end, motion control is not going to replace the controls we have a love/hate relationship with today. Once N, MS, and S realize that it is a good supplement and not the new world order....then they can sell people on it a whole lot more.
CD-R said:
I don't know. This could actually be pretty good for playing real time strategy games on since it looks like you could pretty easily mimic mouse controls. Suddenly RTS's could be viable on consoles. I'm predicting that's what the Natal support will be used for in Fable 3 since it looks like it's going to have some kingdom management aspect in it. I don't know if the RTS genre could make a comeback with this though. It might if they release a bunch of them when Starcraft finally ships.

If this is sort of attempt to cash in on the "casual market" then yeah it probably won't be too successful. But still we don't really even know the types of games that are coming out for Natal yet.
If you want to see a quite cool control scheme for RTS's, watch this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDwEY4aJfm8]. (No guarantees on if it is still there, Ubisoft doesn't seem to like free advertising and exposure.) I think you can figure what control system that would work with.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
His comments may have been taken out of context, but he's possibly hit the nail on the head. Along with the hefty price tag, most "hardcore" xbox owners already think that the Wii is a children's toy, and won't buy a product that makes their precious xbox like the Wii.

I, for one, hope that it does well. I like the idea, but does anyone remember the <a href=http://www.ballbouncer.org/images/eyetoy.jpg>Eyetoy for PS2? Yeah, that went well...

Corohan

Mar 11, 2010
My only worry for Natal right now is whether or not it's going to be precise and accurate on the movement detection.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Well , look at the picture ... the womans leg is kicking in the air but the avatar on screen has both legs planted on the ground, this shows theres a sizable delay in the tracking.
I also doubt it can seriously track subtle motion so it will most likely be limited to big broad expansive gestures... which translate into waving and kicking like a idiot at a screen.
Finally theres is the issue with space, at least in UK homes ... I can tell you there aint room in my house for kicking and waving arms about.

Its my opinion that this is more a move on MS (and Sony with thier motion controller) to encroach on the casual market that Nintendo have with thier Wii.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
Splinter their consumer base? Microsoft?

You mean the guys who built their company on PC's and PC operating systems? And relies on the raft of related businesses who provide things like continually upscaling graphics cards to play ever more high tech games for those PC's who run their OS to supply that consumer base?

And then proceeded to screw that base by making ever more titles exclusive to a console they then came out with? Thus steadily killing off that massive group of PC owners and gamers through neglect?

That Microsoft?

No way.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Man has good points. Integrating the two would be the best way to introduce the new technology, as developers could work out how to add in the new features initially to supplement the standard controls and be assured that a large chunk of the market will be able to use it, as opposed to having to make gimmicky 'wide appeal' games to snag as large a portion of the market as is possible when so few are likely to buy an unconventional peripheral.

Will be interesting to see if there's any serious titles released with Natal. Whatever it's launch games are will help decide Natal's long-lasting image. If they only have a couple of sports and gimmicks games, the Natal will be an over-priced Wii, and likely remain that way. If they have even one standard-fare shooter, then there's still hope that it could begin to revolutionise gaming.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Even though his original comment may have sounded snarkier and more Natal-specific than intended, I'm inclined to agree with him. At 150 bucks a pop (or anywhere near that mark) Natal is pretty much priced out of the reach of a LOT of of Microsoft's existing base of users. Post-release, meanwhile, potential customers will apparently be asked to choose between the shittiest Xbox on the market with a Natal controller, or the top-end bundle with two games, a headset, a wireless controller, etc. I know which way I'd go.

And unless Microsoft is willing to spend serious bucks subsidizing game development, most studios making games for the platform are going to see a relatively small uptake and they're just not going to bother - further disincentivizing future adoption of Natal. It's a very real risk that this thing could bomb.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Periphials sell fine. People buy stuff like balance boards and plastic guitars for their consoles.

Natal will fail because it's very casual

and casuals want CHEAP, not xbox360 + 149 natal + $60+ games kind of expensive.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Unless something soul-destroyingly depressing is shown between now and release, I am gonna buy it. When I saw it last year I felt the future had arrived. For £100 (I assume this is the ballpark price for the UK) I can have that in my living room? Yeah, I'm sold. I don't want to be playing nothing but party games a la Wii, but if it can integrate into some controller-based games too with voice-control and the occasional gesture, I think it can revolutionise games.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
And unless Microsoft is willing to spend serious bucks subsidizing game development, most studios making games for the platform are going to see a relatively small uptake and they're just not going to bother - further disincentivizing future adoption of Natal. It's a very real risk that this thing could bomb.
I wouldn't be surprised if part of Microsoft's evil plan for Natal includes some kind of deal with various government bodies, like security agencies (NSA, TSA). Since Natal technology is software-independent (or so they say), I think $150 for a camera that also outputs semi-reliable 3D tracking data is going to be much more interesting to non-gaming applications. I'm thinking along the lines of interactivity with personal robots, vending machines, and the like.

If anything, the problem is that Natal is being marketed alongside games. As gamers, we see an expensive novelty peripheral, instead of a sensing device of unprecedented potential. I think we'll have to wait and see what happens. If they do a decent .NET implementation (better yet, .NETMF), I think we'll see Natal take off with maybe a worthwhile PC game or two in tow.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
After reading the update, it still makes sense that the Natal is quite the risk, when you take in factors like SegaCD and 32x, as well as plenty of other console add-on/peripheral blunders of the past. But in the end, motion control is not going to replace the controls we have a love/hate relationship with today. Once N, MS, and S realize that it is a good supplement and not the new world order....then they can sell people on it a whole lot more.
CD-R said:
I don't know. This could actually be pretty good for playing real time strategy games on since it looks like you could pretty easily mimic mouse controls. Suddenly RTS's could be viable on consoles. I'm predicting that's what the Natal support will be used for in Fable 3 since it looks like it's going to have some kingdom management aspect in it. I don't know if the RTS genre could make a comeback with this though. It might if they release a bunch of them when Starcraft finally ships.

If this is sort of attempt to cash in on the "casual market" then yeah it probably won't be too successful. But still we don't really even know the types of games that are coming out for Natal yet.
If you want to see a quite cool control scheme for RTS's, watch this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDwEY4aJfm8]. (No guarantees on if it is still there, Ubisoft doesn't seem to like free advertising and exposure.) I think you can figure what control system that would work with.
This [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oArux66gA], one right?

[Edit] Embeded for convinence

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Natal is a waste of time. The premise of them doing this is not to succeed financially in the short run (nor make fun games) but to try to undercut Nintendo for long term profits.

Microsoft completely fails to realize that the Wii outsells them because of its price, not just its gimmick.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Silver Patriot said:
samsonguy920 said:
CD-R said:

This [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oArux66gA], one right?

[Edit] Embeded for convinence
Exactomondo! Looks like it would take a bit of practice, but it may just make several features of RTS commands easier.
(Some cranky people on the Youtube page, thanks for the embed)

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
Andy Chalk said:
I wouldn't be surprised if part of Microsoft's evil plan for Natal includes some kind of deal with various government bodies, like security agencies (NSA, TSA). Since Natal technology is software-independent (or so they say), I think $150 for a camera that also outputs semi-reliable 3D tracking data is going to be much more interesting to non-gaming applications. I'm thinking along the lines of interactivity with personal robots, vending machines, and the like.

If anything, the problem is that Natal is being marketed alongside games. As gamers, we see an expensive novelty peripheral, instead of a sensing device of unprecedented potential. I think we'll have to wait and see what happens. If they do a decent .NET implementation (better yet, .NETMF), I think we'll see Natal take off with maybe a worthwhile PC game or two in tow.
And suddenly I can see the plot for the remake of Fail Safe [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fail-Safe_(1964_film)], where the nukes are launched because of a RROD.

goldenheart323

Oct 9, 2009
Galaxy613 said:
...Will Natal somehow unlock a marketplace of old classics like owning a Wii does?
Come to think of it, I suppose Natal would bring new life to all the old school games, like Pong & Breakout, that controlled with a paddle.
Wicky_42 said:
Man has good points. Integrating the two would be the best way to introduce the new technology, as developers could work out how to add in the new features initially to supplement the standard controls...
Only thing I can think of would be a normally controlled FPS with Natal tracking the player's head for subtle camera changes. Moving your head to the side would let you look around the corner. $150 is WAY too steep for such a feature, but if you already had it for other Natal games, it'd be neat.

And I think it'll fail too.