Exam Preparation: Important Study Guide!

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
With end of year exams coming up (The HSC over here in the great state of NSW in Australia), that will determine you're future career and role in society, its vital that you give yourself every advantage in the exams you possibly can. I decided to knock up a brief study guide, with methods that I've found tried and true throughout my years of schooling, so good luck!

[HEADING=1]IMPORTANT! For all students beginning final year exams:[/HEADING]

The following contains a brief list of steps that should be taken in order to ensure exam success, no matter what the subject, no matter how much you know, know matter how much you care.
With these steps, Exam Success:

You can do it!!

The Weeks leading up to the exam period

Play naughts and crosses in class. Talk about Master Chief. Talk about Gordon Freeman. Discuss who would win in a bout of combat. Talk about new WoW races, complain that "OMG Furriez for Ally are GONNA RUIN TEH GAME!!".

If the teacher asks if you are paying attention, simply repeat the last thing she said.
Go to a party. Every Friday. Imbibe alcohol, gallons of.
If you are feeling confident about your upcoming exams, you can skip Step 4.
Go to a party every Saturday, as well. Imbibe alcohol, keg-loads of.
If you wake up in a pool of vomit, go to Step 6. If not, repeat Steps 1 through 5 until you manage this.
Put some textbooks on your desk. Let your parents see them. [Note: Make sure you wash vomit off before Step 6]
Repeat Steps 1 through 7 until the day before your exam.

The Night before an exam
[ol]
Eat a hearty dinner of sausages, if possible, raw sausages. You will not lose marks by cooking the sausages, but doing so will make it harder to access a Band 6. (Remember the Enemy's Gate is Down, Band 6 is what you have been working towards your entire life. Not getting one is akin to catastrophic and critical existence failure.)
Start making notes. Stop after 10 minutes. Procrastinate.
Swear to never go on Facebook until exams are over. Make this your status, right now.
Go on Facebook. Whinge about how "fucked" you are for exams. (Do the same for all your followers on Twitter.)
Start reading straight from a textbook. At the same time, casually stalk an attractive member of the opposite sex's photo album. End all comments you leave with either

"lol nawwwwwwww
ily xxx"

OR

":0
how much?
nah jks lol :),

but srsly, pretty hot ;)"

Close Plants vs Zombies. I know you'll have it open by now.
Eat more sausages. HSC markes will say sausages are not strictly required, but in reality people who eat raw sausages the night before almost always get better marks. If you want to play the system, eat raw sausages.
Close Plants vs Zombies. Again.
Reach some kind of death clock! epiphany: There is at least 8 hours until your exam.[/I]
Start injecting pure caffeine into your bloodstream. While you're in the kitchen, eat a few more sausages.
Say goodnight to parents/other
Close Plants vs Zombies.
Put on one of your favourite Rick Astley albums and power on through the night. Study everything even remotely resembling useful information.
Do not sleep. Sleep is a trap.
Take a break at 3am. Troll the Paddle Steamer Appreciation Society Forum for teh lulz.
Have an early breakfast of straight vodka and marshmallows.
Close Plants vs Zombies.
Steal a horse. Ride it to school
[/ol]

Moments before the Exam

Arrive at the exam hall with at least 10 minutes to spare.
Begin hallucinating due to sleep deprivation and caffeine overdose.
Avoide the giant pink light-saber wielding spider.
Hallucinate some more.
Fight a Meerkat.
Start scabbing any notes you can off friends. Or teachers. Or the Meerkat.
Convince a friend to 'dispose' of their grandmother. Report this friend to the police.
This will postpone the exam, and give your whole year bonus marks.
If the above step was successful, go back to the very start of exam guide and repeat all steps. If not, go to next step.
Eat one last sausage.
Work out you're teacher said "Remember quotes" not, "Eat raw sausages."
Enter test and open exam paper.
Close Plants vs Zombies.
Look at Section I of the paper. Pass out from lack of sleep.
Awake 2-3 hours later. Panic.
Leave exam hall in tears, knowing you have failed.

Pick up a form from the local Unemployment Office or TAFE.

Double IMPORTANT: [/HEADING]
[HEADING=2]Things that should not be done before an exam under any circumstances:[/HEADING]

-Invade Poland.
-Send all your money to Nigeria
-Start a thread on The Escapist about peoples opinions on America/Americans.
-Look at a picture of Bobby Kotick

"Look at me grin, I'm just so hate-able. Perhaps its because
I bathe in a mixture of irate gamer tears and money"

-Jump in a bin filled with cake while trying to cross the English Channel.
-Get involved in "PC vs Consoles" Thread.
-Practice Dwarf tossing.
-Inhale an iguana.
-Replay all of Fallout 3 while humming the James Bond theme.
-Replay all of N64 Goldeneye while narrating your actions in Ron Pearlman's voice.
-Visit www.tvtropes.org [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage]
-Write pithy lists on The Escapist.

Armitage Shanks has an exam tomorrow. He did not have time to write this. But what the hey.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
Wow....
You sir have surpassed my knowledge of procrastination and i applaud such a wonderful and important study guide,

*sigh*

If only my school had this handed out to every student...

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Ah man, I feel your pain. Likewise I have an exam tomorrow (HSC Biology) but I have been unable to compete your steps to guarantee success and instead actually did some work and study. For the first time, ever. I then set down my textbook after a week of brain-breaking stuff and hopped online. Then almost fell out of my chair reading this. Thank you. Brightened my evening.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Yeah, I can't wait for my HSC exam. It's going to b soooo fun. I can't wait for when I have to do maths and history on the same day because you know, I love having to do six hours worth of exam in one fucking day. I'm not going to want to through up at the end, no sir! Still I have a Birthday during the exam month, good excuse not to study.

But you have an exam tomorrow? To my knowledge they start towards the end of October or are you doing a trial exam tomorrow?

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I actually opened this thread expecting something usefu, how silly of me:p

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Glefistus said:
So are HSCs like the SAT, PAT or dimploma exams of N.A.?
It differs in different states. In New South Wales the HSC exam is at the end of High School and is used to determine your UAI which is used to show universities whether they want you or not. It's a flawed system though because you can wait six months after the exam to get into uni without the UAI, you can get into uni if you do well enough on a series of exams before the HSC and you can get into UNI on a low UAI and after a year change to pretty much any course you want. To my knowledge anyway. I seem to get conflicting accounts from different people and have just kind of pieced this whole mess together from sugar packets. Don't even get me started on the convoluted way of scaling the marks.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
If there were a qualification in procrastination we'd all be professors, and you would be king.

Very funny thread Armitage, thanks for the laughs!

And, good luck tomorrow, don't be reading this, be studying!

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Glefistus said:
Well, you didn't forget Poland.
Touche, fine sir.
Blackadder51 said:
Wow....
You sir have surpassed my knowledge of procrastination and i applaud such a wonderful and important study guide,
I am to please!
Blackadder51 said:
*sigh*

If only my school had this handed out to every student...
Well, for starters, local butchers would be pretty happy.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
Fire Daemon said:
Glefistus said:
So are HSCs like the SAT, PAT or dimploma exams of N.A.?
It differs in different states. In New South Wales the HSC exam is at the end of High School and is used to determine your UAI which is used to show universities whether they want you or not. It's a flawed system though because you can wait six months after the exam to get into uni without the UAI, you can get into uni if you do well enough on a series of exams before the HSC and you can get into UNI on a low UAI and after a year change to pretty much any course you want. To my knowledge anyway. I seem to get conflicting accounts from different people and have just kind of pieced this whole mess together from sugar packets. Don't even get me started on the convoluted way of scaling the marks.
Isn't it called ATAR now?

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Haha, this made me laugh. Even though college starts for me next week and final exams are several months off. I laughed.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Blackadder51 said:
Isn't it called ATAR now?
Yeah it's something like that. In my opinion it's pretty ATARded

Glefistus said:
They scale marks in Alberta too, just like in universities, the bastards. Those statisticians are weeeeeeird people. Especially the profs. It really isn't fair.
I'm sure those that get their marks scaled up don't have a problem with it.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Glefistus said:
Pretty sure I got my marks scaled up, even though I scored in the tip top percentile.
Tip Top? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_Top_Bakeries]

I have no problem with marks being scaled, it stops the schools with easy going teachers getting a higher mark than schools with good teachers but they don't give you the mark you actually got in the exam, they only give you the scaled mark which kind of sucks.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Labyrinth said:
Why thank you. Some of this hyperbole, I actually have studied at least a little bit.
Actual said:
And, good luck tomorrow, don't be reading this, be studying!
Ah, thats where I'm one step ahead of you, I've already pre-ordered my raw sausage, so I've got a bit of spare time.
Fire Daemon said:
But you have an exam tomorrow? To my knowledge they start towards the end of October or are you doing a trial exam tomorrow?
Yup. Trials. Ouch, two on the one day? I don't think I've got any double ups luckily.

teh_saminator

Dec 11, 2008
hmm, nice to see a few subtle changes from your facebook posting of this. and now I know who you are on the escapist, MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Armitage Shanks said:

Wait, slow down a minute. You have to study for exams? Where in the name of sanity did you get this absurb notion from? Just go into the exam write "I am a fish" a thousand times, salute and then faint.

ps. you pass the test if you get the reference.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
See. This is why I'm not doing as good as I should be... damn teachers probably hid this approach, knowing it would require them to make all exams harder to compensate for our terific study skills.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
It's like an itemised list of how I approached my AS exams, except replacing the raw sausages with bacon sandwiches (brown sauce, light smattering of margerine) and Plants Vs Zombies with KotOR2.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
teh_saminator said:
hmm, nice to see a few subtle changes from your facebook posting of this.
In one case it was a single letter.
EDIT:
Amnestic said:
It's like an itemised list of how I approached my AS exams, except replacing the raw sausages with bacon sandwiches (brown sauce, light smattering of margerine) and Plants Vs Zombies with KotOR2.
... And you got full marks yes?

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Holdon a second here. Doesn't everybody in Australia do the same high school leaving exam and their marks are basically compared against the whole cohort? I know that's what the GCEs and GCSEs do.

In any case, this is a very good guide. Listen to the man he knows what he's talking about. Although you might want to consider closing Peggle as well. Freaking popcap =P

I have a mock english composition writing exam tomorrow. Reading Das Kapital right now. ( I'm banking on the off chance that one of the five given topics have something to do with capitalism, marxism, karl marx, engels )

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Armitage Shanks said:
Amnestic said:
... And you got full marks yes?
Full marks? No. It was...four B grades as memory serves, I retook two modules and pushed it up to AABB though.

I only revised moderately for my A2s as well, far less than most, and came out with BBB and a straight pass into Durham University to study Applied Psychology.

It's not Oxbridge, but I would never have gotten there anyway. Top 10 is more than good enough for me, especially considering I did bugger all proper work.