Exams

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
So I just got done with my computer exam, and had an hour to kill, waiting for my trigonmetry exam to start. So I started thinking what kind of exams has The Escapist taken.

So Escapist, what's the hardest exam you have taken? And how old were you when you took it? If you have taken exams that is.

I'll start us off, for me, I'd have to say the hardest I've taken as off now? Probably my computer exam I just took, but that'll be changing in about thirty minutes, for I know my trigonmetry exam is going to be harder. How old was I when I took these. 15. Considering I just took my computer exam about thirty minutes ago, and my trigonmetry exam is in about thirty minutes.

Grimm91

Jan 8, 2009
Well any math exam. I really suck at math and I also have a math exam tomorrow. Just fucking lovely!

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
I'd say one of the hardest exams I had to take was in a theology class I had. I was one of the first finished with the exam and it took me four and a half hours. He was the best prof I've had. The reason his exams were so difficult is that he wanted us to actually think about and argue our own answers, rather than quote his notes back to him. If he felt you hadn't thought out a position well enough on an exam, he'd make you take it over.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
I've had three exams so far. Two math exams, one orally and one in writning and I've had an oral exam in science.

Got good grades as well. We measure on a scale from 1-6 where 6 is the best.
I recieved a 4 on my written math exam and 5 on the two others.

Chances are high that I'll be chosen for an oral exam in Spanish in the spring, though >_<

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Yeah, any subject in my college that has computations. A small list of said exams:

Math 134 - Differential Calculus
Math 143 - Integral Calculus
Math 153 - Differential Equations
Phy 113 - Physics 1
Phy 123 - Physics 2
Mec 013 - Introduction to Engineering Thermodynamics
ECE 543 - Advanced Engineering Mathematics
ECE 553 - Numerical Methods
ECE 563 - Control Systems

I'm pretty sure there's more. Including Strength of Materials and Material Science. All of these spread over four years of pain. Looking back, it's a wonder how I passed, because I have little to no recollection of what I learned in those subjects. Granted, a slight nudge in the right direction can get me started again.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I had an 'exam' on aggressive driving actually forcing yourself to ram another car using a PIT is really really hard.

TheTrooper

Jan 13, 2009
Being one of those "Gifted" kids.. exams to me are easy in general.. But to answer the question, my Grade 10 French exam was the hardest I've ever written, I was 15 when I wrote it.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
math, statistics...

though to be honest i did nothing that would have made it easier, except attend class. the homework wasn't graded so i didn't do it, i didn't do much studying outside of exam time.

end result was while i waited for it to start i counted the points i had and what i would need to pass the class, i needed to get roughly 75% on the final to pass and i was worried. passed the class with a D+

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
I once tried, for a joke, a BMAT (or was it LMAT?) test - the kind with the multiple choices so hard that an average person just guessing would be a vastly better idea.
Hardest one I've actually DONE was probably my AS chemistry. Soon however,it will be my A2 chemistry which is the hardest -_-

Healey

Apr 14, 2008
Math B, the first exam of last year. I flicked through the entire paper, perusing the questions. I then sat back in my chair and stared at the paper for a quarter of the exam, simply repeating "damn" to myself.

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
Probably my Engineering Statistics final two years ago. My professor let us use the book since it had tables with constants we needed to look up, so he made the test super hard since we could also look up everything else. Unfortunately, I had the wrong book for the entire class so the way it did things were different enough from the classwork to throw me off. That was a bad quarter...

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Luckily I dropped Geography before we were examined on it... I think - otherwise I can't remember the exam. My lack of Geographical skills is shocking. My hardest exam would have to be an exam I took last year at University for a module called 'Business Information Technology Management', which in essence is how computers function, run and operate in addition to how to build one and how hardware/software interacts.

This may not sound difficult to you... but I study Accounting & Finance. Yeah, try to figure why this module was non-optional. However I did learn a lot and walked into the exam confident that I knew the course material that had been taught to us. There was a 40 mark question (out of a total 100 marks) that asked something along the lines of 'What is the difference between RAID 0 and RAID 1, and how would the following life of the system change if x company adopted it under the following circumstances (lists circumstances)?'

I remember RAID being taught to us, only being instructed as 'RAID', without the numbers at the end indicating different iterations. I initially found it strange so pushed for more information but was told by my tutor that 'it's not really necessary to know, just know that it exists?. Even the textbook simply had one paragraph saying ?RAID? again, without the numbers and having a brief definition.

I complained to the University that we weren?t taught it, and that there was no indication given that there were different numbers. However this was immediately shot down saying that ?the lecture that it was given it, at the end of the powerpoint there was a hyperlink that explained it? and thus I had no grounds to base my argument because at University you're supposed to conduct individual learning... despite being told that it wasn't necessary to know.

Just in case you wondered, I failed that exam but passed the retake so I?m not too bitter.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Comparative Indoeuropean Linguistics I - Phonetics
Comparative Indoeuropean Linguistics II - Morphology

I still dread the finals I have to take before I can get my degree...

Teachingaddict

Nov 8, 2008
tbh none of my exams where pretty difficult if I had worked for them, my Masters written essays ( 4 x 4500) for ym PGCE course (1 year) for teaching was far more difficult, I have never been good at writing essays.

Ithirra

Nov 24, 2008
For me it would have to be some of the computing exams I had to do last year at uni, they ask you to spool off programs in a handwritten format, so you have no way of testing it, and just have to hope that you haven't missed out some punctuation without which the whole program won't work.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Evil Raven665 said:
So I just got done with my computer exam, and had an hour to kill, waiting for my trigonmetry exam to start. So I started thinking what kind of exams has The Escapist taken.

So Escapist, what's the hardest exam you have taken? And how old were you when you took it? If you have taken exams that is.

I'll start us off, for me, I'd have to say the hardest I've taken as off now? Probably my computer exam I just took, but that'll be changing in about thirty minutes, for I know my trigonmetry exam is going to be harder. How old was I when I took these. 15. Considering I just took my computer exam about thirty minutes ago, and my trigonmetry exam is in about thirty minutes.
My school never let me or my best friend take a computing exam despite the fact that he won them a room full of BBC Microcomputers in a programming competition. He went off to University to do Electronics and Computing and I went off to Art school as there were no courses in videogame development in the country. So, I am entirely self-taught, self-funded and self-motivated in Software Engineering and Design as a long-term hobby. So, although it has taken me a lot longer to acquire the skills I need, I am free from dogma. I never learnt anything at school that I hadn't already discovered from TV. Waste of time.