Excessive profanity in games

RaginDrage

Jul 4, 2012
(Warning: Wall of text comin through!)

What's this? A topic demonizing the essence of profanity in gaming?

Hell no!

I honestly couldn't care less about the notion, people curse all the time. It's pretty common and would almost seem weird these days to have certain mature games without it.

But that's not the point, i'm talking about games that embrace profanity with the same subtlety and grandeur as a raging twelve year old on Xbox Live, trying to achieve some gritty standard in order to be more "mature".

Case in point: Crysis 2

An overall good game with great graphics and well thought out aesthetics that fit the apocalyptic theme.

Back to the subject.

Within five minutes into the game i'm introduced to an antagonizing force of grunts with about as much personality you'd find in a cardboard box, spouting "Fuck" and "Shit" multiple times in each line as if there's some sort of quota to fill. Now of course, this is just one of the writer's techniques in deliberately dehumanizing them in order to establish them as the bad guys, in the hopes that you'll render no guilt as you haplessly gun them down to progress further into the game.

I guess I didn't mind this until progressing towards the part where you meet up with marines of the game.
At this point I was annoyed to see this game picked up on the "Fuck Yea!" bad ass gun toting marine with an attitude archetype that has pretty much graced almost every shooter supposedly going for an dark and edgy tone, only to end up feeling satirical at the end.

At this point, I realized too late that the "Fucking Fuck Shit" attitude displayed by the bad guys in the beginning wasn't established to make them appear bad, but also to mostly imply some sort of overall mature atmosphere in the game, because even the good guys do it excessively at the point of seeming comedic. So rather than wit, this game tries to appear mature and edgy through lines like:

"Let's kill the Alien Squid Motherfuckers!"

"Stop standing around with your dicks in your hands marines, lets move out!"

This is a lot of what I hear in the game, and it's unintentionally hilarious from the way its presented. It feels contrived and unnecessary, like the game's writer is trying make it sound like like popular titles such Gears of War, which really isn't engaging in terms of characters and story anyway(Just my opinion, your Mileage May Vary on that statement).

Try picturing those kind of lines being said in movies, with serious themes. I guess you can argue this sort of behavior is supposed to provoke some sort of raunchy emotional support to progress, or maybe even to add a fun tone to the game, but that's probably not the case since the game feels the need to show several dying citizens suffering from a horrible alien virus throughout my venture, as if the game is saying "Stop having fun and look at how serious this is!"

Yeah I know this argument may seem one-sided, but it's sort of a thing I've noticed a lot of games try to employ, and yes I'm well aware this has been done for a while now. Maybe i'm nitpicking and over analyzing it, maybe i'm so much of a wuss that I can't hear the word Fuck without crying to the nearest adult to complain too, either way, it's just something i'm taking note on.

I never said swearing in games is bad. Profanity can be used to great effect in writing, it can tell a lot about characters and the way their personalities hold up.

But in games like Crysis 2 and several others it feels like pandering to the lowest common denominator of maturity.

What's your take on this?

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
To be fair, popular lines from actual marines tend to have about as much substance. Not that I mean to say they're a bunch of trucker-mouthed philistines, just that when they get famous it tends to be for screaming things like "TAKE A FLYING SHIT!"

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Depends very much on the game in question and the situation involved. If some really intense/scary/horrific stuff is going on then I won't notice profanity so much.

If the characters are out for a leisurely stroll on a calm day then it sticks out and becomes rather jarring.

Anyone who has played Longest Journey may well get blindsided by Flipper's way of talking....

RaginDrage

Jul 4, 2012
Cheesepower5 said:
To be fair, popular lines from actual marines tend to have about as much substance. Not that I mean to say they're a bunch of trucker-mouthed philistines, just that when they get famous it tends to be for screaming things like "TAKE A FLYING SHIT!"
Very true.

But I guess it sort of gets ridiculous when every marine within hearing distance begins saying saying that stuff whenever something both significant or insignificant happens in a game. I get the impression of "Trying too hard" rather than grit in these instances, but that's probably just me.

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
I think it depends on the situation and characters.
Profanity has a time and a place in dialogue...and if a character drops an F-bomb suddenly for no real reason a line can just feel dumb.
That and even though people curse a lot in real life not everyone curses the same way, furthermore we don't tend to do it in every other sentence either.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Well, I liked the touch in Spec Ops: The Line where at the beginning of the game your character gives commands to his squad in a composed military fashion, but after several hundred kills and a bunch of tragedies, he's completely raggy, beaten up, screaming profanities and bloody murder to anyone in his way.

That was nifty. Otherwise it's pretty much become background noise in modern shooters.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Yeah, I don't like the excessive swearing unless it's used for comedic effect, like in Bulletstorm.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Your avatar is hypnotizing ._.

Anyway, I always felt it was just dumb. It makes the game seem much more cheesy, and just stupid when they have an immature story then put a bunch of swears in it so that it can be called "mature". I'm also playing through crysis 2 atm, and the dialogue is putting me off a bit.
Good the the game is fun :D

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
I don't have a problem with it when it sounds natural (i.e. Jack from ME2), and swearing, like anything, gains more impact when used sparingly.

When it's that contrived, though, it gets very annoying.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I don't like it. At first I thought I didn't have a problem with it but after seeing clips for the new DmC and all the swearing in there it just sounds stupid. I'm fine if it's appropriate for the situation. If you're yelling shit instead of aaaaah! or using them to show more emotion it's fine. If you're just yelling fuck you back and forth it's a waste of time and breath.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
I haven't played Crysis 2 but...

I'm a Brit from a working class background so swearing doesn't bother me (the word fucking can be used in every other word with some ppl), I just wish it more games would be more colourful in it's usage.

The Fuck You! DMC vid made me chuckle because the game doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. I just wish NT don't overplay Fuck Yous in the the rest of the game.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Well teenage boys who love action and bloody tits love it, so they need profanities in their face every few seconds.

Case in point Prototype 2

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
RaginDrage said:
Cheesepower5 said:
Very true.

But I guess it sort of gets ridiculous when every marine within hearing distance begins saying saying that stuff whenever something both significant or insignificant happens in a game. I get the impression of "Trying too hard" rather than grit in these instances, but that's probably just me.
Well, I suppose it's situational. If you only program 4 or 5 generic marine battle cries and 2 of them amount to "fuck you!" There'll be a tonne of cursing. If it's in scripted or cinematic scenes it's more likely lazy writing.

I never played Crisis 2, so I don't know if it's one or the other or both. It was dumb as hell when they used it to make Shadow the Hedgehog more "mature"(who the hell though cartoon hedgehogs were mature?) for example, but it can go the other way too. Hearing the hero calling a villain who just killed his love interest a "dastard" in Fire Emblem just sounds silly to the modern ear, for example.

TwentyPercentCooler

Jul 28, 2012
kyosai7 said:
Yeah, I don't like the excessive swearing unless it's used for comedic effect, like in Bulletstorm.
Yeah, I feel like it either has to be tongue-in-cheek, or done...tastefully? Okay, not tastefully, but used sparingly, to have an effect. If everyone casually throws swear words around, everyone listening gets jaded and stop caring (or laughs). When it's saved for a big moment, especially out of the mouth of a character who doesn't swear, it can have a pretty big effect. See the "Precision F Strike" tvtropes page for what I mean.

It's like if Sir Patrick Stewart lets one fly: you know it's about to go down.

http://youtu.be/SjpObUPEJpg

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
In defense of excessive swearing in military shooters, that's just how a lot of soldiers talk.

Don't believe me? Go watch Gunner Palace, Restrepo, or really any military documentary. Soldiers curse like sailors and in the middle of battle there's no time for civility.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
TwentyPercentCooler said:
kyosai7 said:
Yeah, I feel like it either has to be tongue-in-cheek, or done...tastefully? Okay, not tastefully, but used sparingly, to have an effect. If everyone casually throws swear words around, everyone listening gets jaded and stop caring (or laughs). When it's saved for a big moment, especially out of the mouth of a character who doesn't swear, it can have a pretty big effect. See the "Precision F Strike" tvtropes page for what I mean.

It's like if Sir Patrick Stewart lets one fly: you know it's about to go down.

http://youtu.be/SjpObUPEJpg
Pretty much it, exactly.

RaginDrage

Jul 4, 2012
Cheesepower5 said:
RaginDrage said:
Cheesepower5 said:
Very true.

Well, I suppose it's situational. If you only program 4 or 5 generic marine battle cries and 2 of them amount to "fuck you!" There'll be a tonne of cursing. If it's in scripted or cinematic scenes it's more likely lazy writing.

I never played Crisis 2, so I don't know if it's one or the other or both. It was dumb as hell when they used it to make Shadow the Hedgehog more "mature"(who the hell though cartoon hedgehogs were mature?) for example, but it can go the other way too. Hearing the hero calling a villain who just killed his love interest a "dastard" in Fire Emblem just sounds silly to the modern ear, for example.
Oh god i'm getting back bad memories of Shadow yelling "Damn!" every time he falls down a bottomless pit.

I honestly don't know what the writer was thinking at the time.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Never heard the adage "To curse like a sailor"? Ah... well yeah I agree that excessive swearing for the sake of being "edgy" does just the opposite.
There are reasons though that some games have repetitive voice acting. Most of which I believe have to do with budget constraints and perhaps data bloat. It does need balance in some games, but I do expect it from military games since I've actually been part of the military and most of the enlisted men and women are fairly foul-mouthed. Not sure if its background or just a product of a stressful environment. The latter seems to be more probable, as human beings under stress tend toward the id side of their personas.