Excessively Excessive

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Arbitrary quantification of complex creative ideas. And to think there's a whole website that you linked to that's devoted to the dreamcrushers. It's mindnumbingly stupid. Like TV Tropes level stupid.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Yahtzee, I was hoping for this debate to be over so we can start being immature again.
subtlefuge said:
Arbitrary quantification of complex creative ideas. And to think there's a whole website that you linked to that's devoted to the dreamcrushers. It's mindnumbingly stupid. Like TV Tropes level stupid.
DOn't diss the Great, all Powerful God Tv Tropes!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That bechdel test is fucking stupid, and so is basically every test that measures the worth of any movie, game, song, or book.

I'm actually really interested in seeing where the gaming industry goes from here. They can't continue the road of excess they've followed since the first home console, because this generation has already become too bloated for its own good. So it's either sink or swim in a new direction.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
...Just stop referring to the Bechdel Test as any kind of measurement. It just doesn't work

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Yahtzee, I was hoping for this debate to be over so we can start being immature again.
subtlefuge said:
What's it going to do, molest my avatar?

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
The Bechdel test is such a broken system that I can't even begin to understand why people insist on bringing it up.

It essentially is counter-productive to the entire cause. Instead of looking at the female characters in movies as what they are (are they strong, determined, important, etc), and reduces them to, well, numbers. Like cattle.
No, because that's not the point of The Bechdel Test. It's not some kind of gold star that makes a work of fiction magically feminist or a banner example of equality. There are plenty of works that pass the test and still portray women poorly, and there are many that fail the test that have excellent portrayals of female characters.

The Bechdel Test is a simple rough measure of how well-developed female characters in fiction are, how relevant they are to the plot, and how important they are in the setting. Much like body-mass index (BMI) is a simple, effective way of checking rates of obesity across large populations, but can be inaccurate when applied to individuals. If everything a female character says or does exists only in relation to male characters, and this happens in, say, 90% of works of fiction, that's a problem. The fact that a single work fails the Bechdel Test isn't a problem. The fact that so many do is.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Jove said:
Is it just me or did Croshaw become a lot less funny and much more cynical? His views have been...well to put it kindly...sketchy at best. (Bechdel Test...really?)

The guy is even less popular here now in terms of views and comments, Jimqusition and MovieBob seem to be way over him here now.
You've been keeping count on their views and comments?

Extra Punctuation's always been rather more down-to-earth and serious than Zero Punctuation. Sometimes it's funnier than other times, but it's usually more on point than trying to max out on jokes along the way. I don't see that as a problem.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Falseprophet said:
The Bechdel Test is a simple rough measure of how well-developed female characters in fiction are, how relevant they are to the plot, and how important they are in the setting. Much like body-mass index (BMI) is a simple, effective way of checking rates of obesity across large populations, but can be inaccurate when applied to individuals. If everything a female character says or does exists only in relation to male characters, and this happens in, say, 90% of works of fiction, that's a problem. The fact that a single work fails the Bechdel Test isn't a problem. The fact that so many do is.
But that's kinda like saying that measuring the size of a head is a rough measurement of brain capacity and or intelligence.

As you said, it's not the problem that a single work fails the Bechdel Test. But it's a problem that there are works that PASS the Bechdel Test that don't have well-developed female characters. The more than moderate margin of error in either direction makes the thing useless

Arc Light

Jul 3, 2012
You miss a couple of important points. Firstly, stereotyped representations are common in video games (snarling, muscle-bound men with big swords are as familiar as ass-wiggling women), and secondly, one of the biggest problems with the depiction of women relates to the lack of women working in the industry (more women actually working on games would likely result in less stupid depictions of women.)

As an aside, the comment, "it's always difficult to rid ourselves of such basic, instinctual things, in the same way human beings will probably never shake off instinctual racism," is so mind-numbingly ignorant that it's almost beneath contempt.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
subtlefuge said:
saintdane05 said:
subtlefuge said:
What's it going to do, molest my avatar?
SHHHH!!!

You must be careful of what you say, it might just happen... oh, wait... thats Rule 34. NVM.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I still think people over react to this issue.
Big tits, explosions, gunfire and one liners don't happen in my day to day life, i play games and watch movies to escape, to have fun.

Shamelessly promoting something via sex is questionable, but in the end do those products matter?
We'll remember Half-Life, Assassins Creed, Mario and Zelda, but not Dead or Alive: Extreme... At least not for being a worthwhile experience.

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Reading comprehension, you don't have it.

Where did I say that not passing the test makes anything a bad movie? Where? I said, very clearly, that the test is broken because it takes nothing but numbers into count and would pass any female characters, even if they were nude prostitutes that spoke of what are their favorite turnips, as long as they didn't talk about men and had names.

Next time, take your time and actually read what is there. Thank you.
I've gotta say, I've only recently heard of the Bechdel Test being used in this regard, and I can agree it's stupid.
The whole idea of the Bechdel test isn't to "rate" a movie, it was originally just an observation that women don't often get a lot of major roles in films.

And let's face it, that's doubly true for games. I can probably count the number of female protagonists in things I've played recently on one hand, and still have the fingers to factor in gender-optional characters.

It's not necessarily a comment on how feminist something is, but hey, the more female characters we have, the more chance there is to get them done right yeah?