EXP: Geekbuzz - 5 Top Linux Games

NixiePixel

Sep 23, 2013
Geekbuzz - 5 Top Linux Games

For the first time in the history of Linux gaming, we have the trifecta: video game engines, digital distribution, and finally hardware manufacturers all working together.

Watch Video

StHubi

Jan 15, 2010
It really seems like there are some good games available on Linux now. But I am still too fond of Civilization and besides that: I have to work on Windows everyday as a software developer. Probably the last point will be the reason why I will never change my system - unless the world of PCs drastically changes.
But thanks for the well made video.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Great timing.
I'm going to be in the hospital for about a month at the start of next year, and for that purpose got my parents old laptop. Since it was in dire need of a full clean-up I decided to install Linux, and now I have about a month and a half left to find some games to play on that. This list is a good start :)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
moar pls.

Your videos are fun and put together well, and take a smart approach to their content. Best new series on the site. :D

boltronics

Nov 13, 2013
Nice video, and wouldn't mind seeing more.

A minor criticism is that it should be "GNU/Linux" when referring to the OS, perhaps now more than ever. We don't call Android "Linux" just because it too runs the Linux kernel, we call it Android. Same reasoning applies when using a GNU user-land instead of Android. Consider GNU/kfreebsd, where most people wouldn't immediately know the difference if you sat them down in front of it, and yet there is no Linux kernel in that OS at all.

To the topic at hand, in my opinion, the top 5 GNU/Linux games would probably be:

1. Metro: Last Light
2. the Penumbra series
3. Killing Floor
4. Battle for Wesnoth
5. Brutal Legend

I also found Oil Rush, Hotline Miami and Little Inferno all extremely fun and addictive. Teeworlds is great with friends.

CWestfall

Apr 16, 2009
Hey, good to see this show over on The Escapist. Hopefully everything works out.

boltronics said:
A minor criticism is that it should be "GNU/Linux" when referring to the OS, perhaps now more than ever. We don't call Android "Linux" just because it too runs the Linux kernel, we call it Android. Same reasoning applies when using a GNU user-land instead of Android. Consider GNU/kfreebsd, where most people wouldn't immediately know the difference if you sat them down in front of it, and yet there is no Linux kernel in that OS at all.
I have to tell you, you are literally the second person I have ever seen in my life to make that distinction.

The other person is Richard Stallman.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
boltronics said:
Nice video, and wouldn't mind seeing more.

Stallman pls. We don't call it Adobe/Windows so it's not GNU/Linux. Besides the reason Android is called Android is because it's a distro name like Ubuntu or Arch.

UtterTramp

Oct 29, 2009
More, please!
Thanks for the list. I didn't know Gone Home was released on linux. Also: what program did you use to make the end title animation?

boltronics

Nov 13, 2013
The other person is Richard Stallman.
Stallman largely wants the recognition for his work and the beliefs associated with it. It seems quite fair to me, but I'm not interested in debating that one way or another. Instead, I'm pointing out the name needs correcting because it's getting to a point where I'm seeing even technical people become confused. Quite possibly, it's because software like Steam is now bringing GNU/Linux into the limelight and people are prepared to look at it more seriously.

Yes, I've actually had people ask me if their Android programs would run fine under "Linux", where they meant a GNU/Linux distribution such as Ubuntu. I feel that it's quite unfortunate that it's come to this, and it's only going to get worse if we don't start naming it logically.

We don't call it Adobe/Windows so it's not GNU/Linux.
Last I checked, Adobe software didn't make up the majority of the Windows operating system. In fact, it's not a part of the operating system at all - Windows boots fine without it. For comparison, "GNU" (without the "/Linux") is much more important if you just want to compare user familiarity, lines of code, and perhaps many other metrics. However, the GNU user-land can of course be mixed with different kernels, which would mean binaries built for one kernel may not run under a different kernel, even if the end user cannot distinguish any visual difference between operating systems. I hope that helps to clear up why describing the operating system precisely as both GNU *and* Linux is important.

Besides the reason Android is called Android is because it's a distro name like Ubuntu or Arch.
Just a distro? I think you have just perfectly demonstrated my point - because user-land and kernels can often be mixed and matched in the free software world, people are seriously confused by this! If Android were just another distribution, Android binaries could execute fine on Debian GNU/Linux, Mageia GNU/Linux, etc. Steam could run fine on Android also (as it runs on Debian and Mageia). The truth is that Android, like GNU, is the user-land that makes up the majority of the operating system, but Android and GNU have very little in common and there is basically no application compatibility between them. Clearly then, they are indeed very different operating systems.

Diceman

Aug 21, 2008
Nixie, you have a fantastically smooth voice.
Also, this video reminds me not to leave out Linux with game making.