EXP: ScrewAttack's DEATH BATTLE! Link vs Cloud

ScrewAttack

May 16, 2013
ScrewAttack's DEATH BATTLE! Link vs Cloud

Legend of Zelda VS Final Fantasy VII! Two heroic swordsmen enter the arena, but only one will leave alive. Does the Hero of Hyrule and his vast arsenal stand a chance against the superhuman might of Cloud Strife?

Watch Video

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Still waiting on Plastic Man/Reed Richards.

Also, good fight. Sword and board trumps greatsword any day.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
huh, I woulda pegged cloud to take it easy with all the insane ff stuff he gets. but in a straight up sword fight always go with shield over brute strength

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Looks like when Cloud's ultimate spear meets Link's ultimate shield, it's the spear that breaks first.

(I think they disallowed summons to avoid having to animate them ;). )

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Eh, I think that they cheated for Link. I'll give them that his shield is indeed indestructible, but he gets to use "Z Targeting" as though it's an actual ability? Noooooo that's a game mechanic, not a character ability. Z Targeting is, by definition, holding the Z button on the N64 controller to target stuff. If you wanted to get REALLY technical about Z Targeting, it's sending Navi out to hover around an enemy, highlighting them to show Link where to aim. If Cloud can't use summons, then Link shouldn't have been able to use Navi. And without lock-on to auto-track Cloud's movements, there's no way Link could have reacted fast enough to block Cloud's lightning-fast Omnislash.

Bah, I generally give these guys a lot of suspension of disbelief considering what it is they're doing, but this is one of the few Death Battles that I've gotta call bullshit on.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Eh, I think that they cheated for Link. I'll give them that his shield is indeed indestructible, but he gets to use "Z Targeting" as though it's an actual ability? Noooooo that's a game mechanic, not a character ability. Z Targeting is, by definition, holding the Z button on the N64 controller to target stuff. If you wanted to get REALLY technical about Z Targeting, it's sending Navi out to hover around an enemy, highlighting them to show Link where to aim. If Cloud can't use summons, then Link shouldn't have been able to use Navi. And without lock-on to auto-track Cloud's movements, there's no way Link could have reacted fast enough to block Cloud's lightning-fast Omnislash.

Bah, I generally give these guys a lot of suspension of disbelief considering what it is they're doing, but this is one of the few Death Battles that I've gotta call bullshit on.
The Link in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword could target enemies without the need of a fairy assistant. This can be taken as proof that target and the benefits it provides is a natural ability to Link.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
T-Shirt Turtle said:
RJ 17 said:

The Link in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword could target enemies without the need of a fairy assistant. This can be taken as proof that target and the benefits it provides is a natural ability to Link.
I'd be willing to accept that if it weren't called "Z Targeting". It's a mechanic specifically named after the button you use to activate it. It's an in-game mechanic so you don't get your arse kicked in a 3D environment because you have crap-tastic aim.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
RJ 17 said:
T-Shirt Turtle said:
RJ 17 said:

I'd be willing to accept that if it weren't called "Z Targeting". It's a mechanic specifically named after the button you use to activate it. It's an in-game mechanic so you don't get your arse kicked in a 3D environment because you have crap-tastic aim.
So it's the name that is bothering you? What if they called the mechanic "focusing"? That is essentially what Link does when Z Targeting. He's concentrating his attention on a single target, allowing him to follow its movements no matter how fast they are at the cost of not being totally aware of his surroundings. What if, hypothetically, the act of looking down your iron sights in an FPS was called "LT aiming"? Would you say that the protagonist cannot use his iron sights because the act of using it is a mechanic named after the button you use to activate it?

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
T-Shirt Turtle said:
RJ 17 said:

Link in Wind Waker also had some ridiculous countering abilities and acrobatics. Dude's reflexes must be off the charts to pull of the moves he did, so I would also attribute his Z-targeting as a natural ability to Link's near perfect precision. I mean, come on, this is the same guy who becomes a natural master archer the moment he picks up a bow for the first time.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
T-Shirt Turtle said:
RJ 17 said:
T-Shirt Turtle said:
RJ 17 said:

So it's the name that is bothering you? What if they called the mechanic "focusing"? That is essentially what Link does when Z Targeting. He's concentrating his attention on a single target, allowing him to follow its movements no matter how fast they are at the cost of not being totally aware of his surroundings.
Actually, yeah, then it would imply that it actually was Link's ability to have a zen-like focus on a single target, being able to turn and follow it no matter where it went. At that point it would no longer be "press Z to lock on".
What if, hypothetically, the act of looking down your iron sights in an FPS was called "LT aiming"? Would you say that the protagonist cannot use his iron sights because the act of using it is a mechanic named after the button you use to activate it?
That comparison doesn't work. When you're aiming down the sights of a gun, you're doing all the work yourself. You're not magically locking onto targets with an auto-aim that tracks the target no matter where they go. There's nothing special about iron sight aiming in that anyone can do it. "Z Targeting" implies that Link has some sort of super-human reflexive vision mode that allows his mind and body to work as one in perfect cohesion. For instance, were Link holding a gun, he wouldn't need the iron sights because he'd just look at something and his gun would always get headshots when firing from the hip. That's why ALL 3D action games have a lock-on feature, trying to aim in a 3D environment - particularly at enemies that are flying around - is obscenely difficult unless you can go into a first-person view, and even then it's tricky.

Case in point: when you're not using Z Targeting and you're firing the bow manually, you can actually miss. If Z Targeting were a character ability, Link would NEVER miss a shot. He wouldn't need to "activate" his targeting ability since the show is arguing that it's built in reflexes/senses. Reflexes and senses are passive abilities. Unless the player presses the Z button, then Link's aim is only as good as the player's manual aim.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
You can bet the result pleased me greatly.

I wonder if Link's win was an allegory for how Final Fantasy has lost a lot of its influence and power over the gaming industry. Sure, FFXV brought a lot of new excitement back into the series, but it's been considered to be on a downward spiral for years now. While Zelda, despite being slightly weaker in terms of prestige is still regarded with much respect and excitement for every new game, particularly the new home console games.

Nah, Link's just better in every way! :p (totally not being a crazy fanboy)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I don't understand why people like this web series, it's always painfully one sided. I love Link, but lets be honest, Cloud would break him in two. This is like having Garrus fight Goku. Sure I love Garrus more, and he's a way better character, but I could never pretend he'd actually beat Goku in a fight.

How does a Hylian Shield protect against a 360 degree sword attack? How does the actual shield itself sustain the pressure of Clouds attack when Cloud is able to easily destroy metal robots and tanks? We see him cut through entire buildings in the movie for fucks sake. Why is Cloud loaded out with his worst equipment when Link has all his items from every game? Even with that taken into account, shouldn't Clouds fire ignite Link, or his lightning cause damage, seeing as a metal shield would conduct electricity? And those are the worst materia attacks in the game. If you brought in the more robust materia then it's over.

If you master materia use then the game is effectively broken with how strong the characters are. Do you want to Mime infinite Omnislash? Go ahead.

I don't even think FF7 is necessarily better, I consider it about equal to OoT. But you can't pretend Cloud isn't ridiculously overpowered. You can say they were trying to make them more of an equal match, but that defeats the point of the video, doesn't it?

kingpocky

Jan 21, 2009
Did you go back in time twelve years and ask me what two characters you should compare? Because if so, thanks! Great episode.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
cursedseishi said:
Fox12 said:
I don't understand why people like this web series, it's always painfully one sided. I love Link, but lets be honest, Cloud would break him in two. This is like having Garrus fight Goku. Sure I love Garrus more, and he's a way better character, but I could never pretend he'd actually beat Goku in a fight.

How does a Hylian Shield protect against a 360 degree sword attack? How does the actual shield itself sustain the pressure of Clouds attack when Cloud is able to easily destroy metal robots and tanks? We see him cut through entire buildings in the movie for fucks sake. Why is Cloud loaded out with his worst equipment when Link has all his items from every game? Even with that taken into account, shouldn't Clouds fire ignite Link, or his lightning cause damage, seeing as a metal shield would conduct electricity? And those are the worst materia attacks in the game. If you brought in the more robust materia then it's over.

If you master materia use then the game is effectively broken with how strong the characters are. Do you want to Mime infinite Omnislash? Go ahead.

I don't even think FF7 is necessarily better, I consider it about equal to OoT. But you can't pretend Cloud isn't ridiculously overpowered. You can say they were trying to make them more of an equal match, but that defeats the point of the video, doesn't it?

Not all of the episodes are painfully one sided. I do admit though, there is a large amount of bullshit in some of them.
Goku Vs. Supes and Lion-O Vs. He-Man were both one-sided from the start, thanks to one set of characters having to struggle to win (Goku and Lion-O) in all of their stories, showing dedication and hard work (and some intelligent thinking). While the Other set (Supes and He-Man) are lazy archetypical power fantasies, where the writers decide just how powerful they want them to be. And fun fact here, but too much Sun can kill superman. The very same source they get his "strength" rating from was also the same animated film that had him dying from being supercharged with sunlight, and that supercharge is where he got that strength from.
Then there is this.
They very clearly went all for one, and nothing for the other. Dissidia shown off about as close a fighting style he'd have, which they didn't bother to represent, and the fact they limited his limit-break skills to a small bit of uses despite being shown in Advent Children using all but Omnislash regularly. Yet with Link they decided to cherry-pick his information.

I like both characters, I thought the fight would be interesting. It was lazily done though. Much like how the Superman Vs Goku fight was lazily done.
Agreed. I love Link and OoT, so I'm not just playing the fanboy. They really had to tear Cloud down for this to be a reasonable fight. There are far stronger video game characters than Cloud, but Link is certainly not among them.

The Superman vs. Goku fight was also one sided, I agree. They tended to calculate Goku's strength and speed during earlier parts of the show, which means it wasn't entirely accurate. Also, if Frieza was able to destroy a planet that is both denser and larger than earth while in his weakest form, with apparent ease, and Goku becomes considerably more powerful than Frieza in his strongest form, than the level of power Goku can display must be in another league. Goku is also far more skilled, and any professional fighter will promise that skill beats strength every time. Finally, Supes power is inconsistent, ranging from unreasonable to rediculous. According to the video he survives being hit by two stars, and yet he's beaten (almost) to death by the monster Doomsday? It varies greatly between story arcs, but I have yet to personally see an incarnation of Superman that could reasonably stand up to Goku.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
In that time Link had to use his hook shot to grab his sword Cloud could have sliced him into about 7 pieces.