Expendables' Ronda Rousey Talks Pokemon, Goku vs. Superman

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Baresark said:
I love how easily "nerds" are impressed. Sometimes "nerd culture" is so simple. Going by her age, is anyone surprised she played Pokemon or is aware of Goku or Superman. A couple of quotes and everyone is fumbling all over themselves.

She may be branching out into acting, but if she wants to be a serious actress, she should do something besides grunt and look mad at the camera. She is going to have a short and terrible career like Gina Carano, who did little more than that in most movies she was in. Ronda Rousey is already typecast. I watched Expendables 3, and there is no reason to have her do all those complex moves why she is being shot at, unless you want everyone to be sure of who she is when she is on screen. She is already the only woman in the Expendables and as such, is pretty recognizable. It was poor use of her if she wants to be a serious actress at any future time, and I can't help but feel it's going to be the exact same in the Fast & Furious film.
You know it's really fair to condemn someones entire future acting career based on their performance in their first movie. I think you'll find that the vast majority of "serious" actors didn't start out that way. They took the roles they could find, no matter how small or typecast, and worked their way up from there.

Plus, there's really only so much room at the top for "serious" actors because there are only so many parts available. But typecast supporting characters, there are tons of roles out there for those and the actors that play those parts can get plenty of work. Sure they may not get the multimillion dollar paydays for a single movie, but they can usually do pretty well and there's less stress since the success or failure of a movie usually falls on the lead actors, not the supporting roles. Also, doing more movies means more opportunities to meet new people and the more people you know the more work you can get. And occasionally a leading roll may come up that plays to that actors strengths.

Sep 24, 2008
Two things to consider in Goku vs Superman.

Chi is not magic. Chi Blast in the Dragon Ball Universe is lifeforce pressure. Magic, Kryptonite, and sometimes Electricity. Those are Supes' weaknesses. Someone stronger than Superman can beat him down, but I simply do not believe that is Goku.

My last Sentence goes to the second thing to consider. Goku does not value strength above speed and skill. While training with Gohan in the hyperbolic time chamber, he showed off and went to a Super Saiyan level above the one that they were training at. He said that form was flawed because while he was certainly stronger, he slowed down. All of his next forms were about trying to maximize his speed and strength at the same time.

Let's talk plain facts.

for the new 52 reboot, they were testing Supes' strength. They had him bench 5.972 sextillion tons [http://www.herosandwich.net/2013/01/30/lets-talk-about-sextillion/]. For the most astute of you, you know that's the weight of the Earth.

He did that for five days straight.

Also in the new 52, Supes is shown running with Flash [http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/7604/1164958-flashv2209p011.jpg]. Flash himself states that Superman is moving 2000 miles per second. Due to the sheer strength of his muscles.

I like Goku. It's just a different weight class. Superman is one of the Gods of the DC universe. In fact, he fought Gods and won. Goku can decimate, but Superman literally breaks the rules of physics by just existing. Goku is still a slave to many if not all of those laws.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Naqel said:
CrazyBlaze said:
Except you that Superman gets power from the sun so the more sunrays he absorbs the stronger, smarter and faster he gets. Also the correct answer to which Pokemon is Pikachu.
Superman, even after months of sunbathing and without holding back, can get twice, maybe thrice, as strong as he usually is.
Errrrr... Not really.

Last time Superman took a Sunbath he went from "leading a failed offensive against Braniac's world" to "winning the war single handedly by flying through the whole army and pushing his moon sized space ship into the beginning of time."

That's a bit more than two or three times stronger...

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
ObsidianJones said:
Also in the new 52, Supes is shown running with Flash [http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/7604/1164958-flashv2209p011.jpg].
I wish comic book writers would learn a LITTLE physics before writing science fiction... Or just staying away from the numbers.

If Flash steals Superman's kinetic energy, he would just STOP. If he keeps tumbling all the way to Moscow then he still has plenty of kinetic energy left...

Sorry. The nerd in me can't help it. Flash writers are AWFUL at physics... Evacuating half a million people, 2 or 3 at a time, half a mile away from the city, in .001 seconds... And NOT breaking lightspeed was probably worse though...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
J.McMillen said:
Baresark said:
I love how easily "nerds" are impressed. Sometimes "nerd culture" is so simple. Going by her age, is anyone surprised she played Pokemon or is aware of Goku or Superman. A couple of quotes and everyone is fumbling all over themselves.

She may be branching out into acting, but if she wants to be a serious actress, she should do something besides grunt and look mad at the camera. She is going to have a short and terrible career like Gina Carano, who did little more than that in most movies she was in. Ronda Rousey is already typecast. I watched Expendables 3, and there is no reason to have her do all those complex moves why she is being shot at, unless you want everyone to be sure of who she is when she is on screen. She is already the only woman in the Expendables and as such, is pretty recognizable. It was poor use of her if she wants to be a serious actress at any future time, and I can't help but feel it's going to be the exact same in the Fast & Furious film.
You know it's really fair to condemn someones entire future acting career based on their performance in their first movie. I think you'll find that the vast majority of "serious" actors didn't start out that way. They took the roles they could find, no matter how small or typecast, and worked their way up from there.

Plus, there's really only so much room at the top for "serious" actors because there are only so many parts available. But typecast supporting characters, there are tons of roles out there for those and the actors that play those parts can get plenty of work. Sure they may not get the multimillion dollar paydays for a single movie, but they can usually do pretty well and there's less stress since the success or failure of a movie usually falls on the lead actors, not the supporting roles. Also, doing more movies means more opportunities to meet new people and the more people you know the more work you can get. And occasionally a leading roll may come up that plays to that actors strengths.
I didn't condemn her. I don't know if she can act, she may be awesome. But she basically played herself as perceived by action movie buffs and nerd culture overall. So I was more speaking on how she is made such a big deal in things like this article when she didn't really do much. I mean, do you think her real life personality consists of punching people, looking angry and grunting? Probably not. But she has a perceived bad ass image (fed by her MMA career), which is what we saw. It does not present an opportunity to do anything but feed how the bulk of people who do not actually know her already perceive her.

Sep 24, 2008
The Deadpool said:
ObsidianJones said:
Also in the new 52, Supes is shown running with Flash [http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/7604/1164958-flashv2209p011.jpg].
I wish comic book writers would learn a LITTLE physics before writing science fiction... Or just staying away from the numbers.

If Flash steals Superman's kinetic energy, he would just STOP. If he keeps tumbling all the way to Moscow then he still has plenty of kinetic energy left...

Sorry. The nerd in me can't help it. Flash writers are AWFUL at physics... Evacuating half a million people, 2 or 3 at a time, half a mile away from the city, in .001 seconds... And NOT breaking lightspeed was probably worse though...
Dude, if they learned any physics, NONE of our heroes would be.

Let them be stupid for a little bit. Just... Just let them.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
for the new 52 reboot, they were testing Supes' strength. They had him bench 5.972 sextillion tons [http://www.herosandwich.net/2013/01/30/lets-talk-about-sextillion/].
Yea, except for that to work in our universe that means he has the weight of the earth between his hand at 1 meter, give or take.

In our universe that would be something special.
g= Gm/r^2

G = 6.67384e-11 m3 kg-1 s-2
m = 5.41770727e24 kilograms
r = 1 meter

Which would be 36 x 10^12 meters per second squared.

In other words there should be a black whole between his arms if the Speed of light is less than 36e12 meters per second^2. Lights much slower than that in our universe, and there clearly isn't a black hole in the scan.

Ether
A) He's not bench pressing 5e24 KG.
B) The C in his universe isn't the C in our universe.
C) The G in his universe isn't the G in our universe.

If any of those are true then he's not as powerful as the text implies. The numbers become meaningless and breakdown into the authors gibberish that it is. He'd also be breaking the energy density limit before becoming a black hole as well if he'd been doing that for 5 days.

If the physics for the DC comics doesn't match our physics then you have no reason to believe that the physics in Goku's universe matches the DC universe ether.

All using Comic Book numbers to justify an argument shows is a clear lack of understanding of physics, and is easily dismantled as the fiction that it is.

Superman could still logically lose to Goku.

Sep 24, 2008
medv4380 said:
ObsidianJones said:
for the new 52 reboot, they were testing Supes' strength. They had him bench 5.972 sextillion tons [http://www.herosandwich.net/2013/01/30/lets-talk-about-sextillion/].
Yea, except for that to work in our universe that means he has the weight of the earth between his hand at 1 meter, give or take.

In our universe that would be something special.
g= Gm/r^2

G = 6.67384e-11 m3 kg-1 s-2
m = 5.41770727e24 kilograms
r = 1 meter

Which would be 36 x 10^12 meters per second squared.

In other words there should be a black whole between his arms if the Speed of light is less than 36e12 meters per second^2. Lights much slower than that in our universe, and there clearly isn't a black hole in the scan.

Ether
A) He's not bench pressing 5e24 KG.
B) The C in his universe isn't the C in our universe.
C) The G in his universe isn't the G in our universe.

If any of those are true then he's not as powerful as the text implies. The numbers become meaningless and breakdown into the authors gibberish that it is. He'd also be breaking the energy density limit before becoming a black hole as well if he'd been doing that for 5 days.

If the physics for the DC comics doesn't match our physics then you have no reason to believe that the physics in Goku's universe matches the DC universe ether.

All using Comic Book numbers to justify an argument shows is a clear lack of understanding of physics, and is easily dismantled as the fiction that it is.

Superman could still logically lose to Goku.
I already stated and I stick by that comic book writers really have no concept of physics.

Using your example that proves there's no feasible way that Superman could have done what he done proves one thing that we already knew and which you already stated: Our physics and their physics do not coincide. Never did. Not even once. I've accepted that as fact long ago.

so... why can't Spider Man win a fight with Goku? Howard the Duck? Aunt May.

Yeah, I know the gut reaction is to say 'Who's to say they can not? It's not our reality". But most people would laugh at the idea so hard, they might need to be checked to see if they are still able to breathe. Why? Because they'll compare the Lore. They'll see the type of characters and what they have done and figure out what they should be capable of doing in other match ups.

Superman's feats are getting mind shatteringly unfeasible? Won't deny you on that. We're talking about a book series that a man got so angry that he punched apart time. But the fact still remains is that Goku never came close to replicating one of Superman's feats.

Lifting a Mountain, Lifting a Continent, Lifting a Planet, Hurling a Planet, Holding a miniature Black Hole... Goku has done nothing that came close.

Superman has been shown to fly at the speed of light multiple times. Hell, if there's intergalactic trouble, Superman just peaces out and flys to the planet on his own power. So, with just basic math, if Superman can grab onto Goku just for a second, Goku would be 186282 miles above earth in the following second. Nearly 30 times the distance of the farthest atmosphere. I'm assured the G forces themselves would make Goku the finest liquid you have ever seen in your life (if there was that much of him left), but even not... Even Dragon Ball Z shows that Goku needs things like air and warmth to live. Goku himself said (I believe it was in "The World's Strongest") that it's hard to power up when it's cold. Well, Goku will have never felt cold like the cold up there.

We're using Science, so let's use the most basic principles of Science: Observe, record, and only base ideas and rules on what is constantly re-measurable. Ludicrous as Superman has gotten, enough people accept it as fact that it's canon and constantly seen and measurable in his universe. To state 'We don't know the limits of Goku so he might win', but not seeing him replicate a thing close to Superman's abilities... Well, that's theory against fact*.

*Fact here meaning what is written and accepted by other comic book characters and the fans at large.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
MovieBob said:
"Goku would definitely win, because Superman is already capped out. You know what I mean? His powers are where it's at and he's not going to get any more. Goku can destroy an entire planet, and I don't think Superman can do that, so definitely Goku."

Several questions later, another attendee rose to ask, simply: "Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur?," to which she replied:

"Charmander, every single time. I always start with Charmander. That was my first Pokemon ever!"

\
So nerdy...not. I'm pretty sure most people know who Goku, Superman, Squirtle, Charmander, and Bulbasaur are. I'm not impressed.

And her lack of knowledge shows. Superman can destroy a planet.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
ObsidianJones said:
Let them be stupid for a little bit. Just... Just let them.
I'm not expecting 100% fidelity. But know enough not to say dumb shit like "If I remove his kinetic energy he will have too much kinetic energy and crash"

I don't need a realistic way as to HOW Flash removes someone's kinetic energy. That's comic book magic. Whatever. But that statement simply makes no sense.

medv4380 said:
ObsidianJones said:
Where did you get that idea?

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
My example does not prove the Superman couldn't do it. It proves he couldn't do it if G and C are equal to our G and C, and thus I've proven that the DC Universe does not use our G, or our C. That also means that Superman might only have the power equivalent of 100 joules in our universe, but to know that we'd have to know what his G and C actually are. It is entirely possible that the C in a Marvel Universe is as such that Aunt May's walk to the park takes the exact number of Joules as Superman at top Speed.

However, excluding Stan Lee's well put argument that the one who wins is always the one who the author wants to win. Hence Marvels position that Squirrel Girl can beat Galactus.

Superman would eventually lose to Goku if we use 1986 - 2011 Superman, and I'm pretty sure I can put up a plausible argument for Goku to win against Superboy Prime. Every Superman fan I know who's read Superman for 30 years, and who knows Goku's story knows exactly how and why Superman loses. Superboy Prime is another story, but he's manageable if you actually know the lore. The only problem with the New 52 version is that he's new, and only has a few years of comics to actually explain his strengths, and weaknesses. If he was better known he'd probably go down the same way 86-11 would.

Goku has actually done one thing that Superman normally fails at. In the original Dragon Ball(not Z) series Goku tanked a nuke. Superman usually goes unconscious from it. However, this still falls to the the C and G problem.

As for "science" Goku actually has much more power than Superman if we compare feats. The instant transmission comes to only two possible conclusion. He is ether capable of Infinite positive energy because it travels at C due to a translation error(assuming C and the speed of light are the same in the Anime Dub), or as it is originally stated is really instant thus is Infinite Negative Energy. Instant movement is easily proven to be Infinite regardless of what C happens to be. A similar argument probably exists for Superman.

You can't really get more than infinite, and as such any fight between Superman and Goku would have to rely on actual lore and not psudo-science. If you truly believe that Supes always wins then I'll take you up on two debates.

Goku vs Superman 86-11
and
Goku vs Superboy Prime

If you can't see how easy it is for Goku to win just send me a message and well set up a debate on an actual debate site.

ObsidianJones said:
I already stated and I stick by that comic book writers really have no concept of physics.

Using your example that proves there's no feasible way that Superman could have done what he done proves one thing that we already knew and which you already stated: Our physics and their physics do not coincide. Never did. Not even once. I've accepted that as fact long ago.

so... why can't Spider Man win a fight with Goku? Howard the Duck? Aunt May.

Yeah, I know the gut reaction is to say 'Who's to say they can not? It's not our reality". But most people would laugh at the idea so hard, they might need to be checked to see if they are still able to breathe. Why? Because they'll compare the Lore. They'll see the type of characters and what they have done and figure out what they should be capable of doing in other match ups.

Superman's feats are getting mind shatteringly unfeasible? Won't deny you on that. We're talking about a book series that a man got so angry that he punched apart time. But the fact still remains is that Goku never came close to replicating one of Superman's feats.

Lifting a Mountain, Lifting a Continent, Lifting a Planet, Hurling a Planet, Holding a miniature Black Hole... Goku has done nothing that came close.

Superman has been shown to fly at the speed of light multiple times. Hell, if there's intergalactic trouble, Superman just peaces out and flys to the planet on his own power. So, with just basic math, if Superman can grab onto Goku just for a second, Goku would be 186282 miles above earth in the following second. Nearly 30 times the distance of the farthest atmosphere. I'm assured the G forces themselves would make Goku the finest liquid you have ever seen in your life (if there was that much of him left), but even not... Even Dragon Ball Z shows that Goku needs things like air and warmth to live. Goku himself said (I believe it was in "The World's Strongest") that it's hard to power up when it's cold. Well, Goku will have never felt cold like the cold up there.

We're using Science, so let's use the most basic principles of Science: Observe, record, and only base ideas and rules on what is constantly re-measurable. Ludicrous as Superman has gotten, enough people accept it as fact that it's canon and constantly seen and measurable in his universe. To state 'We don't know the limits of Goku so he might win', but not seeing him replicate a thing close to Superman's abilities... Well, that's theory against fact*.

*Fact here meaning what is written and accepted by other comic book characters and the fans at large.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
"Pound for pound" is always funny to me. It's just a ridiculous way to say "this specific fighter's weight class in arbitrary comparison to other weight classes". But when it comes to Ronda, it really doesn't matter what weight class she's in since there's only one for women in the UFC. You could compare her to men's, but I'm pretty sure she'd still lose to a flyweight man despite her amazing skills. She's such a great fighter, but 10-15 pounds wouldn't be enough.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I reckon Superman could beat Goku, due to the whole lack of limitations thing already discussed, but he couldn't beat Vegetto. Vegetto's whole point is that he's stronger than everybody else and knows it, and he could even take Buu's strongest form (which had absorbed Gohan, Gotenks and pretty much everyone else) to school.

Actually, on that note I'd be more interested to see Superman vs Buu that had absorbed Batman. It would be a way of pitting the might of the Man of Steel against the mind of the Great Detective where Superman wouldn't be able to beat Batman in just one punch.