Explain the Populatity of Civilization Games

TheDuckbunny

Jul 9, 2009
I'm in your boat OP, never been much for strategy games because, well, I'm really bad at them. But just for us I think Civ V is an amazing game and easily the best strategy game I've played. It's very accessible for new and non strategy players with a surprising amount of depth that you start noticing once you get the hang of it. It also has tons of civilizations to choose from (including the Netherlands which is always a selling point), a great and attractive visual style and of course the series' famed addictive nature. If you want to give strategy games another go I'd say this is your best bet by far!

Kizo

Jul 5, 2008
Civ V is a particularly good starting point; if you've never played any Civ game, I'd advise V over any other. The rest all have their strengths, but V is much more accessible.

The interminable IV vs V debate, which is utterly ludicrous as both games are perfectly good alternatives to each other, comes down to what you want. If you prefer a wealth of detail and customization in your empire building, try IV, which is far more involved than its successor. If you prefer war, try V; hexes and one-unit-per-tile are a boon, not a disadvantage. If you are a sensible person, try both. The vitriol spewed by loyalists to either game is tiresome and unnecessary.

For what it's worth, I prefer V to IV, but both are great games, and neither of them have taken over my life nearly as much as II did.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I suppose the appeal comes from watching your nation grow from a primitive tiny tribe in the middle of nowhere to massive sprawling empire. Similar to SimCity I suppose only on a much larger scale. I must warn you though, the Civ games can be quite slow.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Vrach said:
00slash00 said:
and the expansion is on sale for like $3.
Could I ask you where? Checked Steam, it's 15 euros there :\
the sale is unfortunately over now, but on greenmangaming.com the expansion was on sale for 85% off, which you could also add a 30% off voucher to

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Others have explained the mechanics. The appeal of Civ games is shepherding multiple, overlapping mini-goals, such as exploring for more resources, deploying troops, influencing rivals, building scientific research infrastructure etc., created as the situation changes and previous mini-goals are completed whilst stringing them together as an overarching strategy for winning.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
I like Alpha Centauri because it was CIV INNNNN SPPPPPAAAAAAAACE!

It's because there is always an appeal to world dominance.