Explore the Unterzee During Sunless Sea's Free Steam Weekend

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Explore the Unterzee During Sunless Sea's Free Steam Weekend

Have you explored Fallen London's waters or devoured your crew yet? Now's your chance, since Sunless Sea is free on Steam this weekend.

Last year's Sunless Sea <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12973-Sunless-Sea-Review-Failbetter-Games#&gid=gallery_3816&pid=7>was a challenging but wonderfully immersive game, forcing you to brave the horrors and dangers of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/fallen%20london?os=fallen+london>Fallen London's Unterzee. It merged a Victorian Gothic atmosphere, roguelike mechanics, and procedural stories into something truly unique, even within the indie gaming scene. And now that it's approaching a one-year anniversary, Failbetter Games wants everyone to play it for themselves. That's why Sunless Sea is free on Steam for the weekend, with all the horrific crew-eating potential that entails.

Sunless Sea is set in the Fallen London universe, where London was dragged underground during Queen Victoria's reign. You play as a newly minted ship captain who explores the Unterzee, seeking wealth and adventure. You'll explore distant ports, face horrific creatures, pursue romantic relationships, and eat crew members when food stores get low. You'll also die, frequently, but can leave an inheritance to new captains who will try their luck at the Unterzee once again.

Even if you already have Sunless Sea, Failbetter Games has released updates for all players to enjoy. The Rose Market has just been added to the game, where collectors can buy various curiosities found on your travels. New options have been added to islands that let you explore strange Unterzee customs. (Well, stranger than normal.) Finally, players can collect Steam trading cards and badges from their time playing Sunless Sea.

[gallery=5544]

And more is on the way. Failbetter Games is currently working on its Zubmariner expansion, which lets you take submersible craft even deeper into the Unterzee. Until that launches, diving into the core game should whet your Lovecraftian roguelike appetites. Especially if you garnish it with a few ship officers.

If you enjoy the taste this weekend, you can purchase Sunless Sea for play beyond the weekend at a 40% discount.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Please! Please Failbetter! I've played your game for 114 hours and that's just on record, I think some hours slipped through the cracks. PLEASE! Release the Zubmariner expansion! Or at the very least give us a status update on it!

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
PLAY THIS.

Play it more. Then start playing Fallen London if you haven't already.

All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.

Skee

Dec 1, 2009
Lifebergs. I believed I knew how to handle them. Oh my beautiful ship.

The unterzee is a delight, but death is too bitter. Why does it prevail at zee, even when beyond the sight of the Judgements?

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
erttheking said:
Please! Please Failbetter! I've played your game for 114 hours and that's just on record, I think some hours slipped through the cracks. PLEASE! Release the Zubmariner expansion! Or at the very least give us a status update on it!
God fuck yes.

This is a TERRIFIC Rouge-like, probably the best one I've ever played, and I will strangle someone to death in front of their own momma to get more content.

PLAY THIS GAME.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Schadrach said:
PLAY THIS.

Christ that reminds me that I haven't played FL yet. Need to get around to that.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
erttheking said:
No don't listen to him, he's unaccountably peckish for an expansion. Too many meals at the Chapel of Lights.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
erttheking said:
Schadrach said:
PLAY THIS.

Christ that reminds me that I haven't played FL yet. Need to get around to that.
You haven't played FL yet? Like at all?

Want a patron? Helps speed your way through the lower levels, and I'm not using my Free Evenings for anything else.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
albino boo said:
erttheking said:
No don't listen to him, he's unaccountably peckish for an expansion. Too many meals at the Chapel of Lights.
Hey I only had three meals there and I only knew what I was eating for one!

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
While I was left pretty disapointed by the base game, I would be prepared to dive back into it with the Zubmariner expansion. Perhaps that will actually deliver the horror I was hoping for, and indeed things of actual interest beyond the occasional giant crab and unexplained location.