Explore These No Man's Sky Facts Ahead of the Game's Release

Apr 25, 2009
I enjoy exploring virtual spaces so as long as I can hunt, fly around, explore and find interesting things I don't care so much about 'what you do' in the game, i.e. quests or stories or missions. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in this game because it won't be what they expect.

From what I can see No Mans Sky is an evolution of old space exploration sims like Noctis, which has a very similar premise. You just explore and expand and discover in a functionally infinite procedurally generated universe. Not everyone's cup of tea, which is why I think a lot of people will feel let down.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
omega 616 said:
Cowabungaa said:
Except fallout and WOW have quests and things to do, it's great you get your kicks by walking but I would say the majority of people need more to latch on to.
Well what I meant to say is that I happily spent time ignoring those and just wandered around at random. Maybe you're right that 'explorer-types' are a minority, so maybe this'll be a niche game. I'd be okay with that.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah ok, Minecraft is also procedurally generated, it's nothing new. Same thing as Borderlands advertising that it has a trillion gazillion guns or whatever, yes they're just random stats and colors placed on a few templates. Yeah, you add +1 damage or fire rate - new gun! I couldn't care less. In terms of Minecraft, I found the news about the new biomes, animals, enemies and stuff to do more interesting than how infinitely large the world could be.

Still don't know jack about what you actually do among all those 18 billion BILLION planets.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
From what I have read on the wiki page it has no single player campaign, and is one of those structure-less sandbox games (Minecraft [not counting the Telltale game], Ark, etc) where the player just wanders around doing random stuff. I liked the look of this game, and how it worked. But after reading this, I am bored of it.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
zidine100 said:
Proceduary generated, does not mean interesting or fun. It just means your using the same assets over and over again in a different randomly selected sequence. If you cant tell I dont have high hopes for this.
Not that this guarantees it won't be interesting either, but what really annoys me is the constant 'hype point' about how many planets there are. Billions of billions.

I mean, sure, but have you ever played a game with randomly generated levels? Be it your Diablo Dungeons or an RTS map, it's generated with logic and math. Same shit, yet you don't see them going about claiming that there's 'quintillions of maps!', because while true, it's meaningless. You have a system that can generate environments from a seed. Great.

At best, it sure as hell goes back to your original point. You're damn well going to stop seeing worthwhile new content long before the billionth planet. I'll be impressed enough if they can break into dozens and still have things interesting.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
zidine100 said:
Proceduary generated, does not mean interesting or fun. It just means your using the same assets over and over again in a different randomly selected sequence. If you cant tell I dont have high hopes for this.
Pretty much this. Procedurally generated games are fine, but the mechanics need to allow for such longevity to actually translate to long periods of fun. Minecraft makes it work because exploring for resources is part of the fun, as is collecting new resources.

Dungeon games are also good at it because they're games that are driven by their mechanics being enjoyable in themselves.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
If i can't swoop down onto an unsuspecting planet inhabitd by sentient steaks of delicious meat and enslave them through religious propaganda to worship the gods; gravy and roast spuds...conditioning them to feel obliged to jump onto my plate, eager for consumption...i will be severely disappointed, Hello Games and Sean Murray, you weirdly endearing grinning frontman. Law of averages and such.
I can't help but feel your avatar makes your post make so much sense.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
To those wondering what you actually do in this game, the devs have actually (reluctantly at times) revealed what the core gameplay loop will be like:
[li]travel through the procedurally generated space and planets[/li]
[li]fight in space and on land[/li]
[li]harvest resources from planets[/li]
[li]upgrade your ship and weapons to do the above more effectively[/li]
[li]continue until you stop dicking around and reach the center of the universe[/li]
Funnily enough, the lead designer said, in jest, that his game may be seen as "Minecraft in Space" if he revealed too much information, but given their tight-lipped nature and the little information they gave, what we have so far is going to be "Minecraft in Space" but without building neat stuff. For a full-price release? I'm not sure that's worth it. I'd like to see more of the game, but it doesn't seem like the devs want to show us anything.

Plus, those preorder bonuses - especially the Gamestop ones - are really turning me away from the game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Not that this doesn't look pretty and interesting, but a lot it sounds like a 3D version of Starbound, which was Terreria in SPACE! which itself was 2d/16 bit Minecraft.

Though Starbound kind of has an overarching plot and gating quests. The big thing it doesn't have I see here is space combat. However, I'd be happy to be proven wrong and find out it's a lot more then that.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
You know what I think I may be the only person on earth with reasonable expectations for this game.(I also realized this made me sound a bit like a prick)

That being "this game will be the unofficial sequel to 'Noctis' and I will be able to fly around and walk on planets" If anybody hasn't played Noctis its basically a game programmed in DOS with a procedural universe that you could explore. It wasn't hugely diverse or anything but there was enough stuff there that you got really excited when you found a planet with life on it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Yes, it's big and uses procedural generation. We've known this for a long time. I'm getting more and more worried about this game since we keep getting surface details. I'm beginning to think that there will be several systems in place to provide a very basic sandbox experience and the main selling point of the game is just going to be "look at how many places you can go and see". They say unique, but I'm quite doubtful about that as well. Across the huge number of planets, I bet a ton of them are going to look quite similar. It wouldn't surprise me if there was only about 5 different distinct looks that end up having slight variations across the galaxy.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
The only problem I can foresee is that having so many variables and things to see, the goal of the game would probably be just get forgotten whilst you explore one or maybe 2 systems. If there are too many requirements to do things (like elements for gear/weapon and ship upgrades) you will have to spend a lot of time farming stuff before really achieving anything, while the game does intrigue me , I am really not sure it is the sort of game I would enjoy.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Yeah RNG, makes for impressive numbers but it really never results in impressive content. I have no doubt they have endless variations of stuff, but stuff without interesting context is just clutter.
I do know some people can be swept away with huge amounts of samey content, I've been down this road too many times however, doesn't yield entertainment for me any more.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Pyrian said:
So... That's an unsigned 64 bit integer. Basically you can wrap each of those planets down to 64 things which you can say are true or false. Or, say, 16 things each on a scale of 1-16. If the latter (and it's just an example but it's probably not far from the truth) then you could see everything the game has to offer in as little as 16 planets; the rest of the variation is just combinations.

Oooo, 16. ;) Doesn't sound so huge now, does it?
No, 16 still sounds huge but most people are satisfied with just 12... (how to ruin your son)

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
I've waited so long for a game with MATH FUNCTIONS! I can't wait to load up and explore a game that uses MATH FUNCTIONS!

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Let's try this for a point of comparison. They're claiming about 10 to the 19th power unique combinations. Here's a procedural province map for a little game I'm working on (Glade Raid [http://gladeraidgame.blogspot.com/]). It has well over 10 to the 46th power unique possible maps, but it just looks like this:

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Whether its universe manages to feel suitably vast and complex probably won't just come down to how many assets their procedural universe has whipped up, (and, seeing the interviews behind that, there do seem to be a metric ton of possible variations,) but rather it's going to be about how 'smartly' the procedural engine that populates the planets distributes them. It's absolutely inevitable that you will have plenty of creatures who are simply marginally different from one another, (looking at how many planets they've touted more than once, I think it'd be a physical impossibility NOT to have repetition,) but if they're able to spread out the different elements in such a way that the average player won't keep running into them... it might prevent things from feeling too old too quickly, especially given the actual life-to-lifeless ratio for planets means you won't be stumbling on a new, complex-life planet every ten minutes.

Truth be told, I'm FAR less concerned with the planets that have life on them, (again, they seem to be on top of things insofar as making lifeforms, trees, grass and plants,) and am instead a bit more worried about the LIFELESS ones. It was specified in interviews months and months ago that about one tenth of planets would have notable life, and one tenth of THOSE would have 'Space Dinosaur' levels of complexity insofar as lifeforms. On the one hand, there are good enough reasons for this- both increasing the longevity of the novelty of life-holding planets, and even making the act of discovering a planet with complex life slightly more exciting than 'Oh, look, Life-Bearing Planet Number Sixty-Seven. Productive first two days!' On the other, that means there are going to be literally dozens of planets that will not have flora or animal life to create variation contrasts, presumably meaning it's largely going to come down to topography, resources, sky, weather, etc, maybe facilities or crashed ships to add points of interest. That seems like it has the potential to get old a great deal faster, in which case maintaining engagement is likely to fall more extensively on the actual game mechanics.

As for those mechanics... well, they have them? That's really all I can say. I don't know how extensive their tech trees are, (i.e. if there's a 'level cap' when it comes to upgrading your equipment and ship, or building equipment and modifications, let alone what that cap would be,) so while there certainly are mechanics that will assist you in gathering resources to progress in terms of potency- mining on planets and in space, piracy/crime on planets and in space, exploration, even a rough form of diplomacy, I don't know at what point you'll be able to say 'Yup, I have the strongest suit, multitool and ship in the game. No need to horde resources anymore.'

That being said, my concerns aside, I do have to admit that what's been confirmed about the title interests me a great deal more than most of the other space titles I've played, including some very 'indie-scale' titles like Rebel Galaxy. Before that, I played Elite: Dangerous, and I found both titles highly educational in fleshing out exactly what I wanted out of a space-themed game, and what elements I didn't care about at all. So far at least, No Man's Sky is pushing all the right buttons with me, and I'm probably going to pick this up Day One regardless. x3 Even if all I end up with is a space game where I can fly to alien worlds, fight pirates, BE a pirate, have limited conversations with aliens, and blow holes in the terrain like an easily amused demolitionist, it's still gonna be worth it for me.