Exploring Control Options in Standard

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I'm actually trying to craft a Grixis control deck currently, but I feel Nicol just doesn't have enough ramp or consistent card draw to add up to his mana cost. I'm definitely sideboarding him though.

Farthing

Jan 28, 2012
Saw some pretty great stuff at FNM. Angels are legit. Especially restoration angel with thragtusk. Speaking of which, I saw slaughter games maindecked to pretty great effect to counter the thragtusk brigade, and most win conditions. As far as getting Nicol Bolas out, just play an Architect of Thought or Tamyo to keep you alive until you can get him out =P.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
What I want to know is... how to play against control decks.

I'm running a bit of an unorthodox build with a G/U gravepower deck, starring [mtg_card=Kessig Cagebreakers] and [mtg_card=Splinterfright], with [mtg_card=Syncopate] and sideboarded [mtg_card=Witchbane Orb] to deal with [mtg_card=Rest in Peace], [mtg_card=Tormod's Crypt], etetera.

The deck currently uses [mtg_card=Sheltering Word]] (which used to be [mtg_card=Autumn's Veil]) to protect a little and usually give me a pretty big life boost, but other than that, there isn't much to deal with heavy control.

What are some cards you would suggest for combating control decks, both for my deck and in general?

Farthing

Jan 28, 2012
Huh, is Hexproof still going? this article seems to be the most recent and is over a month old now.