Extra Credits discussion thread

Imaynotbehere4long

Apr 13, 2018
My search brought up some old threads about various aspects of the show, but I didn't see a dedicated discussion thread about it. So, what are your thoughts on the channel? For me, I don't always agree with them, but they can bring up interesting points or perspectives that I wouldn't have considered otherwise.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I like that they expanded their content to history (the South Sea Bubble [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1kndKWJKB8&list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5CwbTgovbJJhy1LyAaDqStr] and The Broad Street Pump [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpzHHbFrHY&list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5A1enWhR5Ll3afdyhokVvLv] are my favorite) and sci-fi literature (I can't wait for them to talk about Asimov).

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I watched them while they were here but didn't care enough to follow them after they left. The show was ok but I can't actually think of any points they bought up now.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They are one of the better analysis channels around, but at this point I think I like their history stuff best. They have kinda covered almost everything for the game stuff.

Caramel Frappe

Legacy
Dec 10, 2010
California
Country
United States
I used to enjoy their content until they got greedy. Long story short, their artist got injured and needed surgery or else she wouldn?t ever draw again. They had a fundraiser and needed I believe $20,000 to have the surgery. They made over $100,000 and instead of using it to better their show or improve their content, they wanted to make their own Indie Studio and screw over their fans on here. The Escapist CM held them to the contract but, they tried playing victim and making The Escapist look like a big culprit bully. They even lied at times to look more innocent until the CM revealed what happened during their conversation, how they hired lawyers before the CM could even get a meeting scheduled.

They?re not bad or evil obviously, but they clearly rubbed me off the wrong way and I?ll never trust them or watch their content ever again.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I wasn't very impressed with them a few weeks ago when they did those episodes that essentially defended lootboxes.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
They think that lootboxes are fine and people need to shut up and accept overpriced games. Screw em'.

And their history videos aren't any good, either. They aren't as bad as John Green, but they're pretty bad.

HOWEVER, the head guy's stuff specifically on animation, which is a thing he actually has insider knowledge of, is pretty good. His guest appearance on Mother's Basement was really insightful.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Canadamus Prime said:
I wasn't very impressed with them a few weeks ago when they did those episodes that essentially defended lootboxes.
But publishers have to make money somehow! If they don't use microtransactions, loot boxes, deluxe editions, day one dlc, and season passes they just won't make enough money to cover the cost of development.

Is this the future you want?!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I like them, they make some good points.
Some folks get butt hurt because they don't immediately kiss the asses of certain gaming sects.

The best thing to happen for them was for TE to fuck them over.
Going to youtube has really allowed them to make some great content.

Apr 17, 2009
I watched them while they were here but thought they were kind of just off in their own little world with some of the theories and solutions they were throwing out. Like they were too used to dealing with technology and forgot that humans can be unpredictable bastards with that whole "emotions" thing we have going. I haven't followed them since they left the site

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I see them as I see the Simpsons: Outstandingly good content that I couldn't wait consume early on, gradually transformed into content that I more or less consider "okay".

I haven't watched new Simpsons episodes in almost a decade.

Ftaghn To You Too said:
And their history videos aren't any good, either. They aren't as bad as John Green, but they're pretty bad.
Care to elaborate what's wrong with John Green?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Canadamus Prime said:
But publishers have to make money somehow! If they don't use microtransactions, loot boxes, deluxe editions, day one dlc, and season passes they just won't make enough money to cover the cost of development.

Is this the future you want?!

First of all I call BS on all that. And second of all if that means all the big publishers go out of business then yes.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I don't really like them. Everything they say in their video's is weaksauce and mediocre.

Canadamus Prime said:
Drathnoxis said:
First of all I call BS on all that. And second of all if that means all the big publishers go out of business then yes.
I'm inclined to believe that Drathnoxis was being sarcastic.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Not interested in their history stuff. They've covered pretty much everything to do with video games meaning they haven't done a topic I'm interested in for a couple of years (though haven't paid attention to them as much as I did when they were hosted here). Never liked how they presented their videos either.

Lately though, I've really hated the videos I've watched. Making the argument that the price for games should be raised? Defending lootboxes? I'm out.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Canadamus Prime said:
But look at poor Bobby Kotick! He already needs to beg on the street! You heartless, heartless man!
[sub][sup][sub][sup]Okay, your post just really made me want to edit a picture so that Bobby Kotick was begging.[/sup][/sub][/sup][/sub]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I have no strong feelings towards them one way ano...

Canadamus Prime said:
Ftaghn To You Too said:
They think that lootboxes are fine and people need to shut up and accept overpriced games. Screw em'.
Caramel Frappe said:
I used to enjoy their content until they got greedy. Long story short, their artist got injured and needed surgery or else she wouldn?t ever draw again. They had a fundraiser and needed I believe $20,000 to have the surgery. They made over $100,000 and instead of using it to better their show or improve their content, they wanted to make their own Indie Studio and screw over their fans on here. The Escapist CM held them to the contract but, they tried playing victim and making The Escapist look like a big culprit bully. They even lied at times to look more innocent until the CM revealed what happened during their conversation, how they hired lawyers before the CM could even get a meeting scheduled.

They?re not bad or evil obviously, but they clearly rubbed me off the wrong way and I?ll never trust them or watch their content ever again.
...the bastards! they've lost all extra credibility now

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Pseudonym said:
I don't really like them. Everything they say in their video's is weaksauce and mediocre.

Canadamus Prime said:
Drathnoxis said:
I'm inclined to believe that Drathnoxis was being sarcastic.
*facepalm* Of course he was. How could I be so dense?

Drathnoxis said:
Canadamus Prime said:
But look at poor Bobby Kotick! He already needs to beg on the street! You heartless, heartless man!
[sub][sup][sub][sup]Okay, your post just really made me want to edit a picture so that Bobby Kotick was begging.[/sup][/sub][/sup][/sub]
Yes I am a heartless man. I spare not a thought for the poor poor Bobby Kotick who makes more in a week than I'll ever see in my entire life. I am so ashamed.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I don't remember the whole video but lootboxes weren't completely supported. I do think though that this industry REALLY does need more financial transparency. Not just so we can see the profits, but the costs as well.

One thing I do agree on with Jim Sterling is how horribly silent the industry can be. I mean, you can't just say, "lootboxes/microtransactions are needed in $60 games" and not present us hard facts that support that.

Besides that though, people say they've already covered most of the things in the industry and I actually disagree. Give their videos a look sometime. Lots of good stuff in there actually.