Extra Credits Takes a Stab at the Mass Effect 3 issues

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
http://extra-credits.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2008

Nothing much to say except that Extra Credits decided to respond to this issue, and they have some pretty good views.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
I respect what Bioware has done, and I hope they don't cave in to the massive amount of whining.

Sure, I am disappointed in how they didn't uphold everything they said they would, but the best thing I can do is to express my disappointment and not purchase their products until they shape up.

Leave the past as it is and focus on the future, bringing back the Bioware we once knew.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I desperately hope Bioware doesn't overwrite what they've done. Not because I think it's perfect (I don't), but because they made an artistic choice.
No, fuck this, im done. Im never reading anything remotely related to EC again. I knew it was coming, I read it anyway, fuck this, fuck EC, fuck everything.

*Leaves tossing over random objects and kicking doors*

(Seriously though, I disagree. I knew EC would role out the pretentious artistic vision shit.)
Rushing the end of your game to meet unrealistic release dates is so artistic though! :p

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I desperately hope Bioware doesn't overwrite what they've done. Not because I think it's perfect (I don't), but because they made an artistic choice.
No, fuck this, im done. Im never reading anything remotely related to EC again. I knew it was coming, I read it anyway, fuck this, fuck EC, fuck everything.

(Seriously though, I disagree. I knew EC would role out the pretentious artistic vision shit.)
Games critics defending "artistic integrity" blah blah blah is getting so fucking old.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Why can't we all just shut the fuck up about this? Hell, discuss something other than the ending. I mean jesus tits, this is worse than when MW2 was released.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
endtherapture said:

Games critics defending "artistic integrity" blah blah blah is getting so fucking old.
Yeah, how DARE game critics want to treat games as a true art form? Shame on them for trying to treat the medium with a little bit of respect.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Sutter Cane said:
endtherapture said:

Yeah, how DARE game critics want to treat games as a true art form? Shame on them for trying to treat the medium with a little bit of respect.
Oh who really gives a shit if games are art? People who care about it so much need to go out and get a life and get laid or something.

I doubt 99% like the music I do. They might consider it "noise" or say "that's not music", and you know what, that doesn't bother me in the slightest? I couldn't give a shit. If you enjoy it, that's all that matters, no one cares if it's "art" or not.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
endtherapture said:
If you enjoy it, that's all that matters, no one cares if it's "art" or not.
Couldn't have said it better myself (and i've tried).

I've been gaming since 1985 and it's never been "taken seriously" or considered "art" and at 31 years old I just couldn't care about it now.

Plus i've never liked EC anyway so their opinions mean less to me than newt excrement.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
The douchey artsy guys have an artsy douchey view on the ending? I never saw it coming. I like those guys though and you have to give him credit for backing up his point and understanding why people are upset, even if his opinion doesn't line up 100% with everyone else.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Are these the same guys who did the hilarious, absolutely cringe-inducing segment on MMO addiction?

ultramarine486

Mar 27, 2012
In his defense I feel at least it wasn't an attack on the gamer community.

Although considering the episode 'role of the player' I can't help but feel a little disappointed.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Sutter Cane said:
You have 2 minutes to explain why asking for a different ending was disrespectful, and why game critics "respecting" (read that in an extremely patronizing voice) games as an "artform" (you know the drill) makes the slightest bit of fucking difference.
It doesn't. Not in the slightest. But people who are insecure about their hobby's worth need something to cling to to justify liking it.

The EC guys have always held a pretentious view when it comes to "video games as art", so nothing new here.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
endtherapture said:
Rawne1980 said:
Sutter Cane said:
why game critics "respecting" (read that in an extremely patronizing voice) games as an "artform" (you know the drill) makes the slightest bit of fucking difference.
Maybe I am missing something, I just find it ironic people can claim "It doesn't matter if games are considered art or not" When they are talking about the most story driven game I've ever played.

This whole uproar is based around the story of the game. The emotional investment you have towards the Mass Effect universe only exists because the people making the game consider it art.

you don't have to be an 'artsy' guy and you don't have to care. But I can see a huge step up from games with almost no artistic value (like space invaders) to modern games like Bastion and Limbo.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Wow, i even read his posts in that annoying voice he uses in his videos.

Anyway, it's kind of funny that people are so outraged at the fans compromising BioWare's creative vision, but don't say a peep about EA's influence on the company. So BioWare are perfectly fine with having a 2 year development cycle, cutting up their games for DLC and inserting idiotic cameos, but this is what crosses the line?

EA are the frontmen of the games as a service idea, cutting corners for profit is their goddamn company policy. The work BioWare produce under them is not art, calling it art is an insult to every developer that invests genuine love and craftsmanship into their games.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
DrVornoff said:
People with artistic inclinations weigh in from their perspective.

People who are not artists call them pretentious despite not knowing what the word actually means, make some classless, snotty remarks, and drag the level of discourse down another notch.
The last time I heard this argument, it was being made by a good friend of mine. He was 19 at the time, and fresh out of his first couple of years at a fairly prestigious university. He sounded like a puffed up idiot at the time, and years later we both had a good laugh about it.

For a more formal rebuttal, this is an appeal to authority, and it's incredibly obnoxious. Please stop it.