Extra dialogue as downloadable content

donquixote

Aug 18, 2006
picked up from david's comment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.35010#281118] and i think it deserves it's own post.

Blaxton

Dec 14, 2006
I like the idea, but I'm not really sold on downloadable content. I am quite worried that it will end up cuasing devs to remove content that was originally included, meanwhile failing to drop the price of the newly stripped down games.

As far as downloadable content goes, I think that sounds pretty cool.

Mar 18, 2007
Dialogue as what though? As in more drivel we have to put up with between scenes in a game like Fire Emblem? Or as in more selectable dialogue in games such as Knights of the Old Republic?

Sometimes there is already too much dialogue for a game's own good.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
Is the idea to have more voice-acting available for (paid) download if you care about having voice acting in your game?

David Miscavidge

Dec 13, 2006
I don't know if this is applicable, but here goes:

I dilligently played Animal Crossing on the DS for more than six months. I stopped playing when I got tired of my neighbors telling the same jokes over and over again. There was a bottomless availability of items to collect and actions to do (some of which were provided as downloadable content from Nintendo,) but I got bored with the game because I wanted my AC town to be a fun place to just 'hang out,' even when I was not collecting furniture, catching bugs, picking fruit, etc.

If Nintendo had, say, 1 or 2 writers on staff who provided fresh dialog and jokes for the neighbors at intervals of every month or two, it could've very much extended the longevity of the game by providing an entertaining 'social space' with the NPCs.

I also feel this could work for sandbox RPGs like Oblivion, turning NPCs into much more real characters by making them less repetitive and having them change over time in unpredictable ways.

donquixote

Aug 18, 2006
Haha David; Of course it's applicable. This thread was inspired by the comment you posted earlier. See my first post. I wonder why no game developer has implemented it yet... or do the expansions to The Sims count?

Mar 18, 2007
It might be hard to implement anything worthwhile. Whatever they add in would just probably be meaningless for most games because most dialogue would have a profound effect on the game. Anything that might be added could change an entire story or a view on a particular character.

Pavitra

Mar 28, 2007
TheBlaze said:
It might be hard to implement anything worthwhile. Whatever they add in would just probably be meaningless for most games because most dialogue would have a profound effect on the game. Anything that might be added could change an entire story or a view on a particular character.
Alternatively, the added content could be quite worthwhile and meaningful indeed, for exactly the reasons you mention. If the ongoing staff writers were sufficiently competent (perhaps the same staff who wrote the original, boxed dialogue), then they could sustain a continuing process of character and plot development. By changing the game - and doing it well - they would create much more of a living, breathing world.

I think that was the original idea of this thread.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Ochidi said:
Dumb idea!
You posted in a two year old thread to say "Dumb idea!"? I'm a fan of necro over redo but this is extreem and stupid.

The guidelines say a month is the the date for a thread being old, have you read them or did you not notice what you were doing?

Stupid.

On topic, why is it a bad idea?

Ochidi

Feb 5, 2009
Knight Templar said:
Ochidi said:
Dumb idea!
You posted in a two year old thread to say "Dumb idea!"? I'm a fan of necro over redo but this is extreem and stupid.

The guidelines say a month is the the date for a thread being old, have you read them or did you not notice what you were doing?

Stupid.

On topic, why is it a bad idea?
It doesn't really add to the experience the game was bought. We should get more gameplay, not more dialouge