Extra Punctuation: L.A. Noire Is a Bad Adventure Game

Luthir Fontaine

Oct 16, 2010
[
sravankb said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
No offense Yahtzee but nothing well ever make you happy, so why bother
Yeah, this is true. I genuinely don't understand him sometimes. There's about 3 games out there that he seems to like, and what's funny is that Silent Hill 2 is one of them. I'm sorry, but SH2 has a shitload of gameplay problems. It's incredibly easy to rip apart that game, but hey, it's a matter of opinions, I guess.
I agree though funny and makes you think at times he doesnt really stand for anything just against everything with 3 expections

Portal
Sands of time
Silent hill 2

good games in thier own merit (didnt care for silent hill or sands but that was me) but most of the time he just complains about one thing after another...

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
I would like to bring up the game "the experiment" or "experience 112". http://www.giantbomb.com/the-experiment/61-12735/

The game is not exciting, but it does investigation rather well. A lot of the game is about reading peoples correspondence, diaries and other such things. To get to that you need passwords and login names. These are gotten from either characters, code breaking, the aforementioned investigations or from finding it in the game world. Here comes the kicker though. You can't navigate around the world on your own. You are trapped (apparently in a security booth) and the only way for you to get information is through cameras. These are also your only means to communicate which gets a bit odd. Anyway the cool thing is that the game doesn't hold your hand. There are heaps of information to miss and if you miss it you may not get the crucial information or ever figure out what is happening. There are puzzles to solve and things you have to do, but the most enjoyment I got from the game was figuring out the mysteries hidden in the computer. Affairs, betrayals, dark secrets and of course what the hell is going on.

The first time I felt the controller vibrate in LA Noire my mind immediately went to The Experiment and that clue I nearly missed.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Wasn't that old adventure game, D, based somewhere around this idea? Of course, the game itself had an atrocious plot but you had a limited time to complete the game, aside from the death events you could encounter. As far as I can tell, while it did increase the tension it ended up working that each time you failed you had to redo everything, only faster. Progressive, repetition based gaming.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Sounds like a great game idea but I really really want to play "Mankind has yet to recognize my genius."

Luthir Fontaine said:
There are games he likes. And they aren't always good ones either... like No More Heroes: a game with an even more pointless sandbox than LA Noir.

I kind of feel the same way about LA Noir.
I also didn't like their scheme of making gameplay content pre-order "bonus" dlc. So I had a peeve about this game from the start but now that I'm playing the rental, I'm glad I only rented it. It seems like they either came up with the new creepy face (NCF) system for a poker game or something then said "hey let's make a whole open world game with it" or they came up with it for a whole range of interesting uses in the game but then cut everything but investigation and interrogation out. And for the interrogation, what's the use of all the fancy tech if we're only going to get the same three choices each time. They give a good amount of output but not a lot of room for input.

Yahtzee Croshaw said:
It gives me this horrible feeling that gaming is just going to drift around in the same cycle for the rest of eternity, rather than continually evolving. Forgetting about entire genres while everyone rips off the same dreary tripe, then rediscovering them for the novelty points before remembering how much we enjoyed making lots of money off the easy mediocre bollocks and starting the cycle again.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but that seems to be what gaming has been doing for a while. Even when something that feels really original comes around, it's usually based on a very simple and old mechanic.
As much as I love Katamari and as original as it seemed(to begin with), they're really just trippy driving games.
As great as Elder Scrolls games can seem, they're a lot like Zelda aren't they.
And as crazy as Portal is, it's just an fps that's been made into a puzzle game.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
sravankb said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
Yeah, this is true. I genuinely don't understand him sometimes. There's about 3 games out there that he seems to like, and what's funny is that Silent Hill 2 is one of them. I'm sorry, but SH2 has a shitload of gameplay problems. It's incredibly easy to rip apart that game, but hey, it's a matter of opinions, I guess.
How come people take him , or to be more precise, his Zero Punctuation-Persona so seriously? Those reviews are mostly for the fun of watching a game being ripped apart, so naturally, his critizism, while, and this is what still impresses me a lot,in most cases, not unjustified, is blown out of proportion in contrast to the more kind aspects of the critique (not review). It helps noticing, that in many of his videos he doesn't state a game is utterly bad, just that it's pretty much mediocre and nothing exceptional and he admits liking (or not hating) parts of a lot of them.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
It gives me this horrible feeling that gaming is just going to drift around in the same cycle for the rest of eternity, rather than continually evolving. Forgetting about entire genres while everyone rips off the same dreary tripe, then rediscovering them for the novelty points before remembering how much we enjoyed making lots of money off the easy mediocre bollocks and starting the cycle again.
Generally speaking, it has been my experience (and I'm as old as the hills) that you don't see paradigm shifting games until there is new technology to be exploited. Until that happens, you really are limited by the medium itself to the 'same cycle', with the hope that someone will come up with a fresh take on the 'same dreary tripe'.

That is not to say that it's impossible to come up with something totally new within the current limits of the medium, just that it seems that new technology not only allows for innovation, but also spurs it.

It's a sad fact perhaps, but there are enough quality gaming products out there to keep me entertained, so I'm not too terribly broken up about it.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Fronzel said:
Kahunaburger said:
Fronzel said:
Kahunaburger said:
I think the thing that's new about this game is the use of mo-cap to get facial movements down to the point where you (maybe) can determine if a character's lying or hiding something. That sort of thing wouldn't be a route I'd mind seeing future games take.
But all I hear is that the faces look weird on the comparatively unrealistic bodies and it's blatantly obvious when people are lying to you because they over-act "suspicious" body language. Doesn't sound that great.
Yeah, the technology is in its infancy - I just think it's cool proof-of-concept. And in terms of people lying in a more "suspicious" fashion, that kind of goes with the territory. It makes more sense for this mechanic to have people act in an exaggerated fashion than it does for them to act in a realistic fashion, because players shouldn't have to be actual interrogators to play.
But if it's that easy to tell if they're lying, where's the game? Would it really be different if the story included some sort of supernatural ability to detect lies that made the screen flash? Both are obvious "press button to continue" cues. What's the point?
The point is that, to my knowledge, this is the first game that made paying attention to facial cues a mechanic. I agree with you that L.A. Noire is not the be-all-end-all epitome of motion capture in games, but it is an excellent proof of concept for that tool. That's innovation, in my book.

Umra Tiwil

Aug 18, 2009
Dorkmaster Flek said:
awesomeClaw said:
Good idea, but wouldn´t correct application of yelling also make their patience wear thin?

But might I add that the killer forces you to solve each case individually and gives you a set amount of time to do so of each case? Like, Case 1: 12 hours. Case 2: 9 hours etc etc instead of a constantly ticking clock? That way, the designer knows KIND OFF how much time you have on you and can design from that.
That's actually not a bad idea, because it would prevent you from blowing all your time on the early cases and not having enough overall time left for the later ones, thus completely screwing over your save. Of course, some people like the idea of a brutal system that can fuck over your current game if you don't have an earlier save. That's why they play Rogue-like games, right? But I don't think that would fly in a mainstream game. :)

This kind of system would actually work pretty well in something like Inform 7. It handles relationships between objects like this in a very interesting and powerful way.
I also like this idea, but I wonder if maybe you could have an option to choose one system over the other. This would mean that "easy mode" would have a clock for case by case basis, but "Hard Mode" would just have one ultimate countdown. That way the hardcore players could gamble one the whole game. It would require some additional writing, but not really too much more. The hardcore version you only receive one message from the kller about a deadline, while with the other one, you would get several.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Fronzel said:
Kahunaburger said:
Fronzel said:
Kahunaburger said:
Fronzel said:
Kahunaburger said:
I think the thing that's new about this game is the use of mo-cap to get facial movements down to the point where you (maybe) can determine if a character's lying or hiding something. That sort of thing wouldn't be a route I'd mind seeing future games take.
But all I hear is that the faces look weird on the comparatively unrealistic bodies and it's blatantly obvious when people are lying to you because they over-act "suspicious" body language. Doesn't sound that great.
Yeah, the technology is in its infancy - I just think it's cool proof-of-concept. And in terms of people lying in a more "suspicious" fashion, that kind of goes with the territory. It makes more sense for this mechanic to have people act in an exaggerated fashion than it does for them to act in a realistic fashion, because players shouldn't have to be actual interrogators to play.
But if it's that easy to tell if they're lying, where's the game? Would it really be different if the story included some sort of supernatural ability to detect lies that made the screen flash? Both are obvious "press button to continue" cues. What's the point?
The point is that, to my knowledge, this is the first game that made paying attention to facial cues a mechanic. I agree with you that L.A. Noire is not the be-all-end-all epitome of motion capture in games, but it is an excellent proof of concept for that tool. That's innovation, in my book.
But where can you go in that direction? You said earlier the over-acting was necessary because you can't expect the player to actually be a competent interrogator. Doesn't that leave this new mechanic forever blunt and overstated?
You really only have to go that route if you make progress in the game dependent on the player being able to tell if a character's lying by picking up on facial cues. There are other ways you could use the technology from a pure storytelling perspective, esp. for games that center on stuff like inter-character interaction or intrigue. Allowing actors to give a better performance can only be a positive thing.

I'd also imagine that you would see future games implement this mechanic more effectively in general (i.e., the level of subtlety players can deal with, etc.) once there's a knowledge base on how to use motion capture in games. The problem with breaking new ground is that you don't really have any idea what works and what doesn't work in practice.

VichusSmith

Oct 26, 2010
My answer to this is: "Who cares?"

Again, LA Confidential is brought up. How many gamers have seen LA Confidential, and even if they did, could you PLAY LA Confidential?

Then let's get to all these adventure games you've mentioned. I haven't played one of them, and I also have yet to play a Pheonix Wright. part of an opinion has to deal with experience, but I think there are more people who play games and have not come across all the elements Yahtzee brings up. There's nothing new under the sun, and even if you point to a games unoriginality doesn't make it unworthy of attention.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
I'd play this game. I think the timer idea is awesome. Dead Rising (the first one of course) gave me genuine anxiety. They softened it in the second one. But the first one, damn, that timer was always running out and those DAMN ZOMBIES WON'T GET OUT OF MY WAY!

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Sure it would take some careful writing, but the larger problem is: "Who wants to play a time limited game?"

Sure, a timer or countdown works in something like a movie, but in a video game where everyone plays at their own pace and in their own style, forcing people to play quickly or potentially "lose" the entire game and then have to start over would not only be frustrating to players, but it would take us back to the time when games didn't have save files or limitless continues.

I don't know about other people, but I know a big barrier to finishing games me in the old days was having to replay beginning levels over and over again to get to the parts that I'd yet to master. I got bored and/or frustrated with the first three or four of five levels and then didn't want to play anymore, even though I'd yet to finish the game. I see this proposed time mechanic forcing a lot of players into that cycle again simply because not everyone is going to be able to think fast enough to complete the game within the timeframe provided, even if eventually they'd have come to the correct solutions/conclusions.

TheHappySquid

Feb 2, 2011
"The game is almost entirely about info-gathering. Puzzling only comes into it when you have all that info - you solve the crimes by selecting two pieces of intelligence from your notebook and combining them into a conclusion."

Sounds like Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney.

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
Yahtzee,
Interestingly enough, the forensics missions in the Atlus Wii game; Trauma Team. Plays out quite a bit like your game design, and is worth a look to see how it came together. It doesn't use time and patience mechanics, but the investigation tactics and evidence combining is spot on to what you were mentioning.

Scott Glasgow

mjp19xx

Oct 22, 2008
This article is an example of either simple failed logic or a misunderstanding of what new means. New is not synonymous with better or even good. The word new offers no insight into the quality of something other than temporal placement, and an indication of difference from what has come before. The atomic bomb was at one time new, but I am not so sure it was better for humanity than weapons that preceded it. People have been writing stories for thousands of years. In that time countless stories have been retold. Some of the worlds most beloved stories are simply old stories retold by new authors. L.A. Noire draws from several different sources, but I dare anyone to point out an adventure game that really does all the same things that L.A. Noire does. It offers a unique package, and much like the writings of arguably literature's greatest borrower, Shakespeare, has made the old seem new and exciting again for many people.

L.A. Noire is not a perfect game, and it probably will not be remembered for centuries like the works of Shakespeare, but to dismiss it because its elements are derived from what has come before is absolutely foolish. The game concept that Yahtzee introduces is interesting, but L.A. Noire is an actual finished product that is fairly polished and succeeds at the majority of what it attempts to do. Tearing into a game is fine but tearing into it simply because it is built on old or borrowed ideas just to try and make your "novel" ideas look better is pathetic. Time limits are not exactly new, and elements of everything else Yahtzee describes can be found in Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire.