Extreme Makeover: (Steampunk) Home Edition

ThePeaceFrog

Oct 18, 2008
eurgh, why do people insist on ruining the good name of steampunk by turning it into a gimmick? They obvioulsy spend ages sourcing the material than insist on hideously fake looking wooden floors and cream walls in half the building, and whilst Im on it, that is NOT a Victorian style house, no Englishman with any self-respect would have a wooden house (it would let in the smoke from the factory next door:p)

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
What is the Escapists obsession with Steampunk? yeah i get it, it's pretty cool, but we don't really need a weekly report on the latest Steampunk USB storage device, or what some berk has done with his kitchen. Just seems irrelelvant.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
My ultimate goal is to mod my house to look like the inside of a spaceship a la Firefly, but I would not be disappointed with this house instead. Absolutely gorgeous.

dalek sec said:
Holy Lords of Kobol and the Cylon God that's amazing!
Couldn't have put it better myself...Especially since you added in BSG references (I <3 BSG)

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Wow, looks like steampunk is suddenly taking the Escapist by steam storm. That said, that is one awesome looking house.

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
Heh. At the end of the linked article there was an advertisement for NeoSteam. Clever.

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Needs moar Cyberpunk.

Looks amazing though, kudos.
I agree with that, Steampunk is cool but it's no Cyberpunk.

And your avatar is TopCat how can you not be right?

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Blimey O'Reilley I want to live in a house like that! Maybe when I've finished uni and payed off all the debt... hah!

Plus it really does put that usb stick to shame.

chinese_democracy

Aug 22, 2009
It's not a very consistent design by any means. The individual pieces look pretty cool but it doesn't go with the exterior of the house. Also the Home Depot paint scheme, modern drywall and trim really detract from the overall look. I know I'm being a little pessimistic, but all the steampunk doo-dads still feel like they are in the wrong setting. It's like seeing one of those crappy houses with really over elaborate lawn statues and fountains (I'm not saying this house is crappy, I'm just trying to use an analogy).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Okay, after years of this I think I've finally snapped to some extent.

This kind of thing needs to be stopped, it's not Steampunk. What it is is retro-futurism and that is something entirely differant. Basically you have people creating enviroments and items that seemed like they would have popped out of something like "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", nothing inherantly wrong with that, but that's just archaic science fiction and what people of the time thought super-tech or futuristic concepts might look like.

At some point the media and general fan community got a hold of "Steampunk" and started to apply it to things where it doesn't belong. It's not about brass, rivets, pipes, and other things. That's just retro future from the 1890s.

Steampunk is supposed to have a punk aestetic to it. 99% of this stuff seems like something a proper victorian gentleman would wind up using if he had the technology (or could invent it). That is not Steampunk.

Steampunk is pretty much what Cyberpunk was in reverse. Cyberpunk pretty much dealt with the future as people from the 1980s alternative music/lifestyles crowd would have made it had they been a dominant cultural force. The idea of things like super-tech body modification that was both practical and made a lifestyle statement. Of course then retards got ahold of the idea, didn't understand it, and next thing you know you had movies like "The Matrix" claiming that it was "Cyberpunk" when characters like Neo and such pretty much represented exactly what Punk was not. Only one member of his entorage seemed to even have the look down remotely. Basically if your trying to keep a low profile, and do the "cool, resistance from within" thing your not punk. In fact the heroes in that looked like the bad guys (who were sort of cool in their own right), and only got any kind of rebel cred because they made the "Agents" even more conservative looking... Lol. :p

At any rate Steampunk is the idea of taking Punk fashion and sensibility and applying it retroactively to a lower level of technology, in this case the age of steam of course. The idea being like taking a bit of modern engineering to one of the older steampowered cars to create say a lowrider with flames down the side and spinners. Or taking Victorian fashion, adding in leather, studs, hair dye, and things like mirror shade monocles.

Some dude walking by with dark purple hair hanging forward over his eyes, a leopard skin tophat and frock coat, a swatch pocket watch, and a mirror shade monocle is Steampunk. If that doesn't sound especially cool... well consider it's going on 30 years since the height of punk fashion.

When it comes to what a Steampunk enviroment would look like, well it does cross over into retro-future mad science and such for the purposes of story. But still your looking at a sensibility where even a "normal" enviroment should be fairly discordant, where the materials are similar, but thrown together like some art-punk melted and riveted a bunch of metal together in a fashion that somehow remains functional despite all common sense. You should be looking around and seeing a lot of disjointed angles and decorative shapes being design in a fashion that is counter intuitive.

Interestingly this is one of the reasons why Steampunk has crossed over into horror in the past because some of the same artstyles are similar to how Lovecraftian sorcerors did things like build without any right angles specifically to prevent creatures from coming through based on geometry.

Don't get me wrong, retro-futurism is fine, but for some reason the buzzword just suddenly bugged me. Sort of like how when Cyberpunk somehow hit the common vernacular it was being used everywhere (and still is to an extent) and used to describe people who are about as Punk as the Pope.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
I think i enjoyed the pieces of Steampunk rather than the whole house setting as it is a bit inconsistent but still, do want.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
jebussaves88 said:
What is the Escapists obsession with Steampunk? yeah i get it, it's pretty cool, but we don't really need a weekly report on the latest Steampunk USB storage device, or what some berk has done with his kitchen. Just seems irrelelvant.
I agree for the most part with that... Sure, the house is pretty epic, but an overpriced USB drive...? Come on...

I'm really starting to wonder when this steampunk fetish will hit it's peak... it's not just here on the Escapist, but many other mainstream news sites have run feature or human interest articles about the steampunk aesthetic recently...