EYE: Divine Cybermancy

Sir Pootis

Aug 4, 2012
I really loved this game. My only problem was the fact that it felt a bit like a HL2 mod instead of a finished game, but the gameplay was great. If I had to describe it, it would be Deus Ex fused with Halo and run through Bad Translator.

As for the DLC, I didn't know about it, but I hope it improves on it's more arbitrary components like the translation

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Luca72 said:
What do you find good about it, OP? I've seen videos that look cool, and I like the setting, but I tend to hear a community response like the one in this topic. Sounds like it has it's fair share of problems.

But it's not that hard to sell me on an excuse to blast cyberpunk corporate ninjas in Source
I think it depends on what you're looking for in a game.

The narrative is inconsequential and just plain context at best, and incomprehensibly jumpy at worst.

The gameplay is brutal, massively complex, and barely explained, but fun once you get the handle of it. Leveling is even more complicated and even less explained, though common sense can dictate most of the more basic things.

And while my word may not be the best to go off of since I thought Amnesia: The Dark Descent was a pretty decent-looking game, it looks rather awe-striking considering the assets they had to work with.

It's definitely not polished. If you would expect to jump in and immediately know where you're going, what you're doing, and how to get there, it'll probably leave you extremely confused and disappointed. And you could pretty much forget about trying to play in a stealthy manner too, unless some of the later abilities heavily augment it.

I suppose in a way it's sort of like the Demon's Souls of first-person shooters, and by that token I'd recommend it to people who think they can muscle their way past unexplained mechanics and clunky interfaces to find the chasm of depth hidden behind it all.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Well I own it on Steam but its one of those games that demands you to invest a lot of time and concentration into it and I honestly didn't find the gameplay enjoyable enough to warrant making that investment into the game. Its a very deep and confusing game and it has some cool ideas but it just doesn't hook me in, a shame really.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I tried the demo, it was kind of fun but it runs pretty poorly on my computer and it seemed to be connecting to some server somewhere to load the maps which bothered me a bit, I was under the impression it was single player and everything was local instead of some sort of MMO so I passed on it. Now for me it's like EVE Online, one of those games where it's fun to hear stories about it but I'll never play it. Here's a really cool video where Jim Sterling talks about how much he enjoyed the game though.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Stryc9 said:
it seemed to be connecting to some server somewhere to load the maps which bothered me a bit, I was under the impression it was single player and everything was local instead of some sort of MMO so I passed on it.
It is all local and single player (if you play single player).

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
i thought it was a great game, it was brave and had complex mechanics but because of its budget and translation the interesting world was underdeveloped, the story was barley there and the mechanics were never explained. So it was great but confusing. still im looking farward to the DLC

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I tried to play it.

But I didn't feel like watching an hours worth of tutorials for it.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I regret not finishing it, because I really, really liked it. Some IRL business came up, and then I never got around to it. It was a clusterfuck mixed with all kinds of hallucinatory substances, and I loved it.
Some parts were hard as balls though, it wasn't very well balanced. Or maybe I'm just terrible, which is not unlikely at all.

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
I tried it a little, but it's so counterintuitive and shakily designed that I couldn't get into it. If they could fix the levleing system, translation, and interface, I'd totally love to get into it. It looks like a lot of fun, the shooting is amazing, and I really liked the atmosphere and visuals.

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
I tried it, got stuck in a ventilation shaft and just after that fell down a giant hole and couldn't get out. But I suppose that says more about me than about the game.

Sherokain

Jan 11, 2013
hazabaza1 said:
I remember playing it a while back. It was a massive clusterfuck and I had no idea what was going on but it was charming in a retarded kind of way.
My opinion of it is pretty much this, still to this day i have zero idea how to actually learn new abilities. I'm just kinda stuck cloak and summon three expendable soldiers, granted i know how to upgrade what i have i just don't know how to learn new powers. :/

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
...this game... this is like a more open clusterfuck version of System Shock 2. I'm gonna have to pick this up.

Question - clearly the developers are still supporting this game (new content patches) - do you think these guys could make enough money off a Kickstarter to make this a standalone game? One that manages to have the same amount of content, but fix up the bugs? Would that even make it better than it is in the current state?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
well you know how there are some games that intrigue you when they throw a lot of options at you?
yeah, this does that but when you realizes that you simply will not pick up things because mechanics don't work like you think because of technical issues and bad English.
i would have been all over this 10 years ago but now i just don't have the time

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
E.Y.E is one of those games that can't really by described in a sane manner. You have to play it. It's so bat-shit disjointed (mechanically and thematically) that any secondary description isn't going to do it justice. Unfortunately, getting a real feel for the story arch requires multiple playthroughs, and only the most dedicated fans have managed that.

Glad to hear that the devs are apparently on the path to releasing an extensive update, but given the fact they've been talking about "improving" the game since day one, I'll believe it when I see it.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
DazZ. said:
Stryc9 said:
it seemed to be connecting to some server somewhere to load the maps which bothered me a bit, I was under the impression it was single player and everything was local instead of some sort of MMO so I passed on it.
It is all local and single player (if you play single player).
Maybe the demo just did something weird then, still runs like shit for me but I might look into it again when\if I ever get a better PC.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I played it for an hour. In that hour I held dual SMGs and leapt off a dam, killing 2 dudes with my SMGs while soaring through the air. I landed, at which point I broke both of my legs and realised my SMGs only had 1 clip each. So I swapped for a sword and pistol, turned invisible and limped about taking potshots and dude's with rifles. Then I was shot in the head, got concussed and went insane. I survived the level and when it was over the dialogue hurt me so much, so I stopped.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Bought it on sale, played a little, but I didn't manage to get into it. I do want to give it another try, since it does seem like the kind of game I would want to play.