F.E.A.R 2 demo

Lycaeus_Wrex

Jan 19, 2009
Calax said:
Also in the hud I found things to be missing. I couldn't find how many Medkits I had on me at the time for example. I also miss the old reflex meter, the new one is to small.
If you look just to the right of your health meter you will see how many medkits you have.

I also got confused with the new reflex meter, I had to pull up a tutorial to discover where it was. However, it's now much more unobtrusive and I do like the faster re-charge allowing for more slo-mo awesomeness!

Calax

Jan 16, 2009
Worst part of the HUD was over the past week I've been fighting my way, on and off, through the original game. So I was looking for at least a similar hud, but instead they flipped it all around. and some of the controls are a bit different so it's difficult to go from one to the other (although I think FEAR2's default controls are more in line with standard FPS controls.)

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Consistence said:
only a demo, lets not write it off untill we play the whole thing
Oh no we're not writing it off... afterall dare you write off alma?! *ahh there's so much blood*

@ calax: I noticed that too? But are kinda messy for me. I had to re bind a lot of them still. It's not a bad thing that they give you so much control over what you do but if you try playing on a laptop ( like i sometimes do ) i find the amount of keys i have to rebind, remember and then execute in a smooth flow a bit too much.

Calax

Jan 16, 2009
Well my standard rebind is to have SloMo on mouse two (my mouse wheel), and then aiming on mouse three, melee is shift (a better spot than in COD 4's defaults imho) ctrl is crouch and flashlight is x. It's hard going from E to F for activate and vice versa, I understand why they switch it but it's still annoying.

Raptoricus

Jan 13, 2009
MEH! If there's bad AI in FEAR 2 I'll be well pissed, that was one of the best things about the first game, the fact that you could screw with the enemies, and they'd try and screw with you, and also, they'd react differently every time you approached a combat situation. Seriously I hope that it's only bad in the demo, because if the AI's bad in the full release, I'm going to be annoyed. I was really looking forward to this too :(.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Raptoricus said:
MEH! If there's bad AI in FEAR 2 I'll be well pissed, that was one of the best things about the first game, the fact that you could screw with the enemies, and they'd try and screw with you, and also, they'd react differently every time you approached a combat situation. Seriously I hope that it's only bad in the demo, because if the AI's bad in the full release, I'm going to be annoyed. I was really looking forward to this too :(.
The ai definitely seems dumber, even if you factor in the linear map design. We can only hope that in a more non linear map in the full game the AI isn't as stupid. I think i can say for sure though, that they will have nothing on the original FEAR AI. Played it 4 times now, definitely not up to scratch.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
harhol said:
Probably the worst demo I have played in five years. Stunningly mediocre. I couldn't wait for it to end.
Arne't you being just a bit too mean?
I mean, come on, it was alright.

Calax

Jan 16, 2009
nekolux said:
Raptoricus said:
The ai definitely seems dumber, even if you factor in the linear map design. We can only hope that in a more non linear map in the full game the AI isn't as stupid. I think i can say for sure though, that they will have nothing on the original FEAR AI. Played it 4 times now, definitely not up to scratch.
They had to dumb down the AI, otherwise the Console players would be slaughtered because they couldn't react fast or accurately enough. As to the linearity of progression, FEAR1 was fairly linear, it just didn't feel that way because you were zipping through hallways etc. I think if you took the "non-linear" areas and put them side by side with some of FEAR2's levels you'd find that they both take up the same area.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
I played the PS3 version multiple times. I thought it was a very solid and well-done shooter. Also, did anyone find
that decapitated head in the toilet?

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
Nice graphics, scary though. I still haven't figured out how to save, so I re-play it every time, I haven't actually finished it. Can you save? (PC version).

And yes, the AI is a lot dumber than the original FEAR's.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
[Gavo said:
]Nice graphics, scary though. I still haven't figured out how to save, so I re-play it every time, I haven't actually finished it. Can you save? (PC version).

And yes, the AI is a lot dumber than the original FEAR's.
You can only save at certain checkpoints. The demo is actually fairly short. Discounting the pausing to save yourself from a heartattack i would say its a 15 - 30 minutes demo.
Calax said:
nekolux said:
Raptoricus said:
They had to dumb down the AI, otherwise the Console players would be slaughtered because they couldn't react fast or accurately enough. As to the linearity of progression, FEAR1 was fairly linear, it just didn't feel that way because you were zipping through hallways etc. I think if you took the "non-linear" areas and put them side by side with some of FEAR2's levels you'd find that they both take up the same area.
See that was exactly what i was suspecting. Damn console players you're ruining the game for us! We can only hope, DOW2 will not be released on console then dumbed down cause those guys cant macro >.<

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
sneak_copter said:
harhol said:
Probably the worst demo I have played in five years. Stunningly mediocre. I couldn't wait for it to end.
Arne't you being just a bit too mean?
I mean, come on, it was alright.
I agree that is a bit harsh. I mean, if you want the demo to end, just turn your console off... ;)

Kyuumi

Jan 12, 2009
harhol said:
Just because it scared the living crap out of you doesn't mean you have to hate it, be a man and play on.

The cinema part when the women grabs you shit me up so bad, I literally screamed in front of all my friends in the Party at the time.

Calax

Jan 16, 2009
BTW if anyone needs a sort of primer to FEAR I posted one here [http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=51570]. Note it gives away the entire plot for the first game.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Kyuumi said:
harhol said:
Just because it scared the living crap out of you doesn't mean you have to hate it, be a man and play on.

The cinema part when the women grabs you shit me up so bad, I literally screamed in front of all my friends in the Party at the time.
Doh i would think playing together actually removes a lot of the fear and tension that FEAR oozes.
When i look at the FEAR AI now, i think FEAR2 brought condemned's AI over the only problem is that condemned AI had OP cover OP disguises and you basically only had melee weapons.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Wow I thought the graphics were amazing on the 360. I am so stoked for this game. I better be able to reconfigure the controls though. Crouch is R3 not L3 dammit.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Does anyone know if you can lean? You could in F.E.A.R. on the Xbox, but only with the D-pad, which made it really awkward. That game would have been much better if you could temporarily enter an Aim mode like in Goldeneye 007 on the N64, during which the movement stick would lean rather than strafe. I didn't care for the silly spooky bits, but I remember the original's AI was decent.