F Zero?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
I dusted off the ole Gamecube collection and noticed F Zero GX. Had so much fun with this game and I'll likely pop it in again for a nostalgic experience. I also played the hell out of the original SNES game back in the day. I don't even think I owned it but I rented it more times than I can count.

Anywho, I think we are about due for a new F Zero game. I wonder why it seems like the series has been abandoned.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Ando85 said:
Anywho, I think we are about due for a new F Zero game. I wonder why it seems like the series has been abandoned.
Miyamoto stated he didn't see how there was any room left for innovation with F-zero, which is supposedly the reason why we haven't seen a new one since GX. (Miyamoto says some really dumb stuff sometimes...)

Meanwhile, Mario Kart 8 is slowly absorbing F-zero elements, transforming into some sort of wacky hybrid. It's even got track like Mute City and 200cc feels a lot like F-zero (it's super fast!). So, if you're desperate for a new one, you could give that a shot.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Yeah, GX was the shit. It still holds up really well to this day.

I'd be nice to see more in the series. Nintendo seems to only really care about Mario & Zelda and lets all the other franchises go fuck themselves.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I loved that game, but it got way too hard for me at a certain point. I could never get the hang of the whole snake thing that is apparently physically accurate

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Miyamoto is stupid for not making a new one! We don't need a new gimmick for every single new games!

Serinanth

Apr 29, 2009
Its already been said but I am pretty sure its Mariokarts fault. Dont get me wrong we have been enjoying Mariokart 8 a whole bunch. The F-zero track made me wonder why the hell they haven't made a new one and then it hit me, "Duh, I'm already playing a racing game".

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'd pay for a new F-Zero, with multiplayer support. Then I remember just how f'ed up the last game was (in good ways) and how twisted my brain would be after playing a few rounds...
Its fun but it screws with my perceptions hardcore.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
F-Zero GX is one of those games I wish they would actually do an HD "remaster" - even a minimal one that renders at 1080p as long as it keeps at a smooth 60Hz (I'll take jaggies over sub-optimal resolution/frame-rate for sure in this case). Update sprites for HD, add controller and online multiplayer support (or leaderboards at the very least - maybe online multiplayer won't have the latency to properly play). Fairly low effort production-wise, otherwise they will never do it.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
How about a game where we actually see Captain Falcon doing some bounty-hunting? Make it a semi-open world crime game set in the future, with racing just one aspect of the gameplay. Plus, it could have a brawling system, so Cap could use his Falcon punch. Hunting down fugitives in the Blue Falcon would be awesome. You could also have a garage to upgrade and customize. F-Zero could have a future if Nintendo gave it a chance and changed up the genre. It doesn't need to be relegated to just a pure racing game, F-Zero has a very usable universe and setting.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks so. I loved GX, it was probably one of my favorite games of all time! I really wish they'd do a new F-Zero game, or even do an HD remake of GX.

The new Mario Kart isn't bad, but it's nowhere near as good as F-Zero.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Of late, it seems like its been relegated to being Mario Kart DLC. Its weird, with some of their effort to get some "Adult" content in their library (funding Bayonetta 2, and that THQ game they bought up), and the popularity of stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy, they might dust off their action/space comic/superhero setting out of the vault.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
F-zero GX huh, yeah, I can see why he might have said that...

F-zero is very much a pure racing game, and there's only so many places you can go with that...
Contrary to popular belief Nintendo isn't all that fond of repeating itself.
The thing is, what they dislike is repeating the same gameplay without any alteration...
So if they can't think of anything new to do with it gameplay wise...

Anyway, F-zero GX was always kind of weird...
There was an arcade version of it with compatible save data for the gamecube version...

Not to mention it's a game resulting from the 'triforce' alliance (nintendo+sega+namco)

F-zero may be Nintendo IP, but F-zero GX was Sega's doing... (and the arcade counterpart was Namco's work... Yes, the same namco that makes ridge racer... >_>)

It really was a rather bizarre game in that sense...

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I never actually played GX, but I loved the original. Mute City is still one of my favourite video game themes.

If the Wii U came out with a new F-Zero, it would probably be the thing finally pushed me into getting the console (not that I'm not already tempted, this would just force my hand).

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
ultrabiome said:
F-Zero GX is one of those games I wish they would actually do an HD "remaster" - even a minimal one that renders at 1080p as long as it keeps at a smooth 60Hz (I'll take jaggies over sub-optimal resolution/frame-rate for sure in this case). Update sprites for HD, add controller and online multiplayer support (or leaderboards at the very least - maybe online multiplayer won't have the latency to properly play). Fairly low effort production-wise, otherwise they will never do it.
That is what I'm hoping for (especially now that the Mario Kart DLC thing seems to working out). Knowing Nintendo they could actually pull of a constant high framerate at 1080p. (They have done similar things in the past. The cars could have looked much better in the N64 version, but Nintendo didn't want to sacrifice speed for looks.)

As for an online mode, it would be a great addition, but I agree that it would spell trouble for players with slower connections. Online multiplayer + leaderboards for offline modes, that'd be perfect.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Ando85 said:
I wonder why it seems like the series has been abandoned.
Might have something to do with the fact that sales plummeted for the series with each release selling about half of it's predecessors numbers.According to figures I can find

F-Zero (SNES) - 2.85M
F-Zero X (N64) - 1.1M
F-Zero GX (GC) - 0.65m

Not really much incentive for Nintendo to make a new one looking at those numbers especially given how much more expensive a HD version would be to develop.Still fingers crossed for a new one

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
Easily my favorite racing game/series, and among my favorite soundtracks of all time. There is rarely a time where I'm not in the mood to listen to Osc-Sync Carnival.

In any case, there're few things I wouldn't do for another F-Zero title. Granted, there's little to do in terms of innovation short of messing with the physics, but I'd honestly settle for pretty lights and new tracks.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
I had a lot of fun playing F-Zero between the SNES version and the Gamecube one, so I'd be down for another racer. But I feel like my first choice for racers would always be Mario Kart.

BUT, make an awesome F-Zero racer that is pretty much like GX, some new tracks, and have it be a functioning racing mode, then also intersperse those tracks into a Single Player mode where half the game is racing (or can be skipped if you don't like racing games) and the other half is a Spectacle Fighter made by Platinum Games starring crowd favorite Captain Falcon.

I feel like that would be the way to mix up F-Zero enough to make a new game worthwhile, so as to not retread a lot of what Mario Kart is doing.

(Also, add Amiibo Support so I can drive a Link-themed Blue Falcon)

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
MetalDooley said:
Ando85 said:
Might have something to do with the fact that sales plummeted for the series with each release selling about half of it's predecessors numbers.According to figures I can find

F-Zero (SNES) - 2.85M
F-Zero X (N64) - 1.1M
F-Zero GX (GC) - 0.65m

Not really much incentive for Nintendo to make a new one looking at those numbers especially given how much more expensive a HD version would be to develop.Still fingers crossed for a new one
I wonder if that is in line with how many consoles they had installed? Anyway if they released it for the WiiU I expect the trend would continue. I have never been that big into the series I played the SNES version and it was good but I am not a racing fan. I do feel that around the N64 era Wipeout sorta stole F-Zeros thunder a bit.

All that said F-Zero GX is one of the games on the GC I never got around to buying and wish I had. Still have my GC tho so if I ever see it for 10 pounds or under I will snap it up because what I saw of it looked like a blast.

If there was a new one I probably would not get it as I have said racers and me rarely mix but if it was cheap and looked amazing I would likely give it a shot.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Maximum Bert said:
MetalDooley said:
Ando85 said:

F-Zero (SNES) - 2.85M
F-Zero X (N64) - 1.1M
F-Zero GX (GC) - 0.65m

I wonder if that is in line with how many consoles they had installed? Anyway if they released it for the WiiU I expect the trend would continue. I have never been that big into the series I played the SNES version and it was good but I am not a racing fan. I do feel that around the N64 era Wipeout sorta stole F-Zeros thunder a bit.

All that said F-Zero GX is one of the games on the GC I never got around to buying and wish I had. Still have my GC tho so if I ever see it for 10 pounds or under I will snap it up because what I saw of it looked like a blast.

If there was a new one I probably would not get it as I have said racers and me rarely mix but if it was cheap and looked amazing I would likely give it a shot.
Oh I have no doubt that the install base had a large part to play in the overall sales.The numbers kinda speak for themselves really..

SNES 49.10M - F-Zero 2.85m
N64 32.93M - F-Zero X 1.1m
GC 21.74M - F-Zero GX 0.65m
Wii U 9.42m - F-Zero WiiU ?????

So as sales declined for each console Nintendo released so did sales for F-Zero.Given the relatively small install base of the Wii U at the moment you have to wonder if a new F-Zero would even match GX's sales.So just looking at the figures there's really no incentive for Nintendo to release a new one especially since dev costs have massively increased since the HD era began.

That said Starfox followed a similar trend saleswise and Nintendo are working on a new one so I'm still hopeful a new F-Zero will be announced at some point