FAA Officially Approves Electronics Use Throughout Flights

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Mr.Tea said:
Brian Tams said:
EDIT-well, the video isn't showing up for some reason, so I'll just post the link :p
Because that's not how this site does youtube embeds.

You have to take the string that's after "watch?v=" and put it in like this (youtube=eHooBjxmoXQ). Just replace the parentheses with brackets, of course, and there you go:

Ah, thank you kind sir. I had never found myself desiring to post a video on this particular forum before, so I figured it was similar to the other forums I frequent. Thank you for correcting me.

r0seyp0m

Oct 11, 2012
VoidOfOne said:
Now to figure out how to make a laptop last for several hours without a plug...
You seem to have missed the part in this article where they said laptops still weren't allowed:p

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
kyonshee77 said:
VoidOfOne said:
Now to figure out how to make a laptop last for several hours without a plug...
You seem to have missed the part in this article where they said laptops still weren't allowed:p
Nope, don't think I missed it. In fact, I couldn't have missed it, as it was nowhere mentioned in the article. The phrase you were referring to was this:

roseofbattle said:
"'Laptops and other similar heavier electronic devices will have to be stowed away during takeoff and landing like usual...'"
It's not that laptops weren't allowed, it's that they have to be stored away during these specific maneuvers. Still can bring them on, and still can use them.

Why am I awake at this hour...?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Brian Tams said:
Hmmm... I'm actually not sure I support this. While the explanation was shite, I always found a grain of wisdom with putting away your portable electronics in the sense that take offs and landings are bumpy, and shit tends to bounce around when its bumpy (I actually had an old woman's hard cover book fly out of her hands and give me a shiner during a landing once.)

Also, there's always a chance for a pop quiz.

Or if flight is extra bumpy you can swallow your own iPad (through teeth)
Or even worse- unwillingly assault some other person with your iBrick

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
We knew this for ages. the only reason they had these requirements is so they could sell you on-board services for a ripoff prices. Well that and your phone dont actually get a signal that high in the air. the signals are not interfering because frequencies does not match. They wouldnt interfere even if they did (mythbusters tested it).
I personally always watch movies or listen to music while on flights, noone has ever complained about it. i use headphones obviously, no need for others to hear my stuff.

As for "bumpy ride". granted i dont fly as much as some people, but i never experienced a ride so bumpy that it would make people loose grasp of things. bus rides are more bumpy than plane flights here. not sure if thats a sign of bad buses or...
anyway, i understand the landing and takeoff stowaway, as you kinda do that anyway since youll be wanting to get off right?

also airplane mode on cellphones are useful becuase then the phone does not try to find a signal, and that takes a lot of battery out of it.

thiosk said:
Thank the lords of kobol on the no calls bit.

Thats why I supported the airlines for so long in their shut off everything routine-- can you imagine being on a 6 hour flight with the person next to you barking into a cellphone the entire time?

Its a hazard alright, because i'd be tempted to punch them through the fuselage.
Not possible. cellphones will not find signal that high in the air. would only be possible during liftoff and landing. the on-board phone however already allows that anyway.