Fable 2 Review

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008

This review has been a long time coming; mostly due to the fact that my overall opinion of the game shifted so much during my time with it. I can now safely say that Fable 2 has thoroughly surprised me, but not all of the surprises were steps toward the positive.

Fable 2 is the latest game from Lionhead Studios, creators of the Original Fable and both of the Black & White games. If you recognize the name of Lionhead from E3, it's because they were the team that did the Milo demonstration for Microsoft's Project Natal. While playing Fable 2, you can't help but ask yourself; if they are capable of that sort of complex AI technology, why the hell is Fable so basic? Off-topic, I know, but it was definitely something I was thinking.

The game takes place five hundred years after the original Fable and heroes have all disappeared due to the destruction of The Heroes' Guild. However, it seems that over five hundred years not much else has changed. The only noticeable difference is the inclusion of guns. Still though, the story in Fable 2 is the usual hero fare. You start out as a young street urchin, barely surviving a harsh winter out on the streets with your older sister. On top of that, you are shot out of a window and fall four hundred stories to your.... well, not death, but discomfort. You survive and grow up to be a very attractive young hero who is tasked with gathering three other heroes in order to save the world from being ruled by the very same man that shot you out of a window. My main criticism of Fable 2 is that the story is simply terrible. Bland, monotonous, and all the characters are completely unlikeable to the point of you simply wishing it were an option to kill them all, which it isn't. So much for freedom of choice.

That is you. Apparently, very far falls and near death experiences are good for one's complexion.

The combat is incredibly simple. Say there is a man you intend to hurt standing in front of you, there are three ways you can go about this: X button to carve his ass up with whatever melee weapon you have equipped, B button to cast your currently selected spell, and Y button to shoot him in the face. It's that simple. Holding down the buttons can add a little variation to whatever attack you favor for manslaughter, but that's all there is to it. However, the previous scenario isn't an accurate representation of a fight in Fable 2. There will very rarely ever be just one man for you to fight, instead the game prefers a good old fashioned twenty on one, and that is what makes the combat fun. Due to the large groups of enemies, you will constantly be changing targets to accommodate whichever enemy seems like the biggest threat at the time, making each fight feel very exciting. The things you'll fight are varied nicely, with bandits and beetles in some areas, while you have skeletons and werewolves in another. The main issue with the combat is that every fight, no matter what you're fighting, will almost always boil down to pushing the X button until your thumb falls off. Spells are near useless at low levels, and guns will rarely do more damage than your melee attacks. Complaints aside, the combat is definitely the strongest feature of the game.

This is what a fight looks like in Fable 2.

Based on that image and my description of the combat, you would think that Fable 2 is a hard game. Well, you shouldn't be thinking that because it definitely isn't. I died one time while playing the game, and that was only because I left the game unpaused while I took a bathroom break and was swarmed to death by a pack of evil beetles. Making money in the game is as easy as taking one of the game's three day jobs and pressing the A button repeatedly. I would recommend having someone to talk to entertain yourself while doing this. If not, talk to yourself or listen to some music. If you can stand to spend an hour cutting wood or bartending, you can make a fortune. Then just invest in expensive shops and purchase houses to put up for rent. At this point, you can just turn the game off because your properties continue to make income while you aren't playing. Fable 2 is a prime example of a game that doesn't want to be played.

The graphics technology in the game are amazing. Everything looks very nice and has this sort of shine to it. Simply put, Fable 2 is a beautiful game. The animations are also very smooth when doing anything. And... I honestly can't think of anything else to say about the graphics and whatnot. So, moving on...

"Those are some nice shoes you have there." "Why thank you. Yours are.....pointy."

If you've ever seen an interview with creator Peter Molyneux, you would know how much he rambles on about Fable having infinite amounts of choices, however, in reality those choices are so small and meaningless, they make no difference. Marrying one whiny ditz is no different from marrying another, she'll just take all your money and force you to pop out some child that you'll abandon to go slaughter traveling merchants. I found the toughest choice was deciding which pair of trousers to wear while exploring the incredibly small and linear countryside.

So, will you choose to purchase Fable 2? Hopefully not, this game is pretty much an outdated look on RPGs. Linear and basic as hell. That's not to say you won't have a little bit of fun instituting capitol punishment. Rent it if you're bored.

If you thought this review was complete shit, then feel free to travel back in time and comment in myHAWX review. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.122907#2487130] Maybe then I'll decide to abandon writing altogether and this review would have never existed.

Basically, criticisms are always welcome.

EDIT: Also, could someone please explain to me how to get that bloody link working? Thanks.

Nevermind, figured it out.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Err.... I dunno, but I'm pretty sure the "Example of a game that doesn't want to be played" is a Yahtzee joke... Other than that, pretty good review. At least you remember you third grade grammar... :|Oh and you're right about the characters all being unlikable. I spent about 10 minutes trying to kill everyone in that damned cave you always have to go back to.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
SamtheDeathclaw said:
Err.... I dunno, but I'm pretty sure the "Example of a game that doesn't want to be played" is a Yahtzee joke... Other than that, pretty good review. At least you remember you third grade grammar... :|Oh and you're right about the characters all being unlikable. I spent about 10 minutes trying to kill everyone in that damned cave you always have to go back to.
Yahtzee does use something along those lines to describe a certain game, though in this case, I'm not joking at all, haha. Fable 2 awards you for not playing it.

There was this one scenario where I was about to partake in that tournament, The Crucible, and I wanted a new sword. I picked out this katana that I was about twelve thousand gold short of, so instead of going and doing a job to make the money I needed, I just turned the game off and went to play something else. The next day I had enough to purchase the sword, haha.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, it's very much appreciated.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Blast! I was literally 10 SECONDS AWAY from uploading my Fable 1&2 joint review!

Aside from that, I tip my hat to your informative, if rather bland, review.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
HT_Black said:
Blast! I was literally 10 SECONDS AWAY from uploading my Fable 1&2 joint review!

Terribly sorry, I had no idea I'd be ruining someone's hard work.

I'd look forward to reading it still, just to see your opinion of the games and criticisms I may have missed.

Burck

Aug 9, 2009
You said what needed to be said, and mixed it with some wit. A fine and interesting review that didn't make me want to stop reading and post TL;DR. *Golf Clap*

Loved the sub-titled pictures; they're like dogie biscuits for the reader.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
Burck said:
You said what needed to be said, and mixed it with some wit. A fine and interesting review that didn't make me want to stop reading and post TL;DR. *Golf Clap*

Loved the sub-titled pictures; they're like dogie biscuits for the reader.
Thanks alot for the feedback, a nice golf clap only inspires me to continue writing.

Oh, and welcome to The Escapist. Loving the avatar.

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
HT_Black said:

Go for it. There are already 2 fable 2 reviews on the front page alone, another on isn't going to do much. Hell, the number of prototype reviews that are still coming makes fable 2 a minor offender by comparasion.

On topic: Your review is fine but a little more about the side quests (or if they even still exist) would help.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
lostclause said:
HT_Black said:

Go for it. There are already 2 fable 2 reviews on the front page alone, another on isn't going to do much. Hell, the number of prototype reviews that are still coming makes fable 2 a minor offender by comparasion.

On topic: Your review is fine but a little more about the side quests (or if they even still exist) would help.
Woops, you're right, I barely even mentioned them...

If it's any consolation, there are about twenty of them and they are nicely varied. I actually found myself enjoying most of the sidequests that had me exploring more of the land.

And thank you for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated.

Apr 28, 2008
SniperWolf427 said:
lostclause said:
HT_Black said:

If it's any consolation, there are about twenty of them and they are nicely varied. I actually found myself enjoying most of the sidequests that had me exploring more of the land.

I believe the sidequests were the best part of the game. And showed what it could have been. They were funny, varied, and fun.

I liked the Max and Sam quests, personally.

Edit: Sorry for the necro, didn't see the age of the thread.
Good review though.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
Irridium said:
SniperWolf427 said:
lostclause said:
HT_Black said:

I believe the sidequests were the best part of the game. And showed what it could have been. They were funny, varied, and fun.

I liked the Max and Sam quests, personally.

Edit: Sorry for the necro, didn't see the age of the thread.
Good review though.
Wow, you're going old school on me mate. Haha, I'm embarrassed to even look at this review anymore, especially after seeing how much my writing has improved over the past year. Thanks for the feedback though, it means a lot.

And the Necro is quite alright, hopefully no one gets pissed at me for responding though, haha.

Apr 28, 2008
SniperWolf427 said:
Wow, you're going old school on me mate. Haha, I'm embarrassed to even look at this review anymore, especially after seeing how much my writing has improved over the past year. Thanks for the feedback though, it means a lot.

And the Necro is quite alright, hopefully no one gets pissed at me for responding though, haha.
No problem :)

At least you got a nice trip down memory lane!

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I think your review is good, although some parts of Fable 2 I loved and felt an affection for (the end part where you leave the gate and your sister yells out no and stuff, that made me so sad I was crying) but it also sucked too (the game)

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
chek84 said:
Fable II is a turd crapped out by Peter Molonuex, that game never made a good game since Black & White.
Quiet Stranger said:
I think your review is good, although some parts of Fable 2 I loved and felt an affection for (the end part where you leave the gate and your sister yells out no and stuff, that made me so sad I was crying) but it also sucked too (the game)
I really appreciate the feedback guys, but this review is ancient. I really don't even like looking it at, so I'd appreciate it if everyone would just let it die.