Fable 2: The Lost Fun

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Fable 2 was pretty boring but will be forever be redeemed in my mind by the ability to make an entire crowd of people gape in horror at your character sharting her pants.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
ExaltedK9 said:
My niggling feeling of unfulfillment instantly died, and dragged itself into a corner where It couldn't obscure the blinding white light gleaming from my television screen after putting in Fable. After only a few hours of play, I was gently grabbed by the hand and lead through an amazing world of interesting, and compelling characters, awesome weapons, challenging battles, awesome armor, and a moral choice system that had me torn the entire time.
Are we playing a different Fable here?
Exactly which characters where interesting & compelling? How was the Moral choice system tearing you in two either?
It was either douche bag or super nice charity man.

ActualOvaltine

Jul 1, 2009
miracleofsound said:
Fable 2 was pretty boring but will be forever be redeemed in my mind by the ability to make an entire crowd of people gape in horror at your character sharting her pants.
Yeah. I wish real-life crowds were like that. I could get a promotion from simply making stupid faces and burping.

ExaltedK9

Apr 23, 2009
Wizzie said:
ExaltedK9 said:
My niggling feeling of unfulfillment instantly died, and dragged itself into a corner where It couldn't obscure the blinding white light gleaming from my television screen after putting in Fable. After only a few hours of play, I was gently grabbed by the hand and lead through an amazing world of interesting, and compelling characters, awesome weapons, challenging battles, awesome armor, and a moral choice system that had me torn the entire time.
Are we playing a different Fable here?
Exactly which characters where interesting & compelling? How was the Moral choice system tearing you in two either?
It was either douche bag or super nice charity man.
Actually we might not be playing the same Fable. Are you talking about lost chapters or regular Fable?

It didn't really get good for me till I was past the original storyline.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Straitjacketeering said:
crooked_ferret said:
Fable 2 never got my support because they chose not to release it for PC, and I am primarily a pc gamer. I will say this for the original though, I have played it through three times in the time I have had it, and it was a real gem.
I still can't get over running around with the "pimp hat" on everywhere after completing one of the strangest and most sexually oriented side quests I have ever had in a game that wasn't released exclusively in japan that I managed to get my hands on.
The moment I got the pimp hat I didn't take it off for the rest of the game, it was the sweetest hat ever.
I was a fan of the chicken head.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
MortisLegio said:
I'll be the minority by saying I like Fable 2.
Nothing wrong with that, if you enjoy a game, then good for you. That's what it's all about, personal enjoyment.

Sweep117

Jan 27, 2009
BolognaBaloney said:
MortisLegio said:
I'll be the minority by saying I like Fable 2.
Nothing wrong with that, if you enjoy a game, then good for you. That's what it's all about, personal enjoyment.
*Peeks head around corner* What did you say? It's cool to like Fable 2? *Steps out from dark hiding spot*

Yeah, I really enjoyed it, and still do. I think it gave the player a variety of reasons to play, more so than the first. For instance, while I did play the story missions, I really focused more on being a "landlord" of sorts. It started with a couple wagons and has evolved into a multi-million dollar empire. I'm raking in tens of thousands of dollars every time I'm paid. I find that quite enjoyable.

In the end, I'd still rate Fable(The Lost Chapters) better than Fable 2, though there are aspects of the sequel that I enjoy more.[/boringrant]

Sketchy

Aug 16, 2008
I preferred Fable. Perhaps I didn't like Fable II as much because the majority of the game I tried to do jobs to get money. That got boring fast, but I kept going. It led to me hating the game.

Zealous Kringle

Nov 20, 2008
Eh, I'm torn.
On the one hand I did enjoy the tooled up melee system and the gun play, and the character customisation made a leap to the better. But then they destroyed the spell casting (F:TLC had arguably some of the all time best spells ever) and took away the monsters.
Where's my Kraken Molyneux!?

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
Im glad you made the comment about the lobotomy. No matter what my character is doing their expression does not change and they look cross eyed and confused.

Further more, Peter REALLY fucked up when he took away my armor. I LOVED Archons armor, and adored it when i took on Jack of Blades mask and put on the mages robes to look intimidating.

I agree that the character interactivity is bad but given the circumstance that its the AI generating how they talk to you not scenarios like Bethesda creates its decent. I will admit i hated seeing 14 of my wife WHEREVER i went Fable 2.

Like Yahtzee said i dont remember Conan getting a job to get his revenge. I felt like Fable 2 was a pathetic RPG and a life simulator that i coulda made better on table top terms.

Fable 2 has one quality that i wished to see in F:TLC. That is that i can go through the arena as much as i want. I wished i could revisit it in F:TLC but its not like it was some major drawback.

Also in Fable 2 i didnt give a shit about Lucien. Hes a presence in the begining when he kills your sister and you somehow survive a bullet to the chest and a 20 story fall at the age of 6 but thats a different story. And hes a small presence at the end when you kill him WITH A MUSIC BOX! In Fable the lost chapters Jack of Blades was present, or was talked about all the time. You felt like no matter how evil you might be for slaying an ENTIRE village Jack of Blades must be that much evil-er. And he was! Especially since Jacks voice was cool, calm and haunting as opposed to Luciens which seemed more like an English Gentleman

jazzersi

Aug 3, 2009
I liked fable 2 and enjoyed it, but havnt played fable one, so have nothing to compare it to. However after this thread i may pick it up.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
ExaltedK9 said:

If it isn't clear I liked the first Fable (The Lost Chapters TM) more than I liked Fable 2. I'm not saying that the first Fable didn't have alot of flaws, but even with them, it still burries, Fable 2 in a pile of shame and, and self-hatred, in comparison.
I agree, Fable 2 didn't have any challenging fights, except maybe for the one
where you fight that officer in the spire.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It is sad. With Fable, Molyneux generated alot of hype to produce an average game, then with Fable2 he creates even more hype and makes a worse sequel.

This used to be the guy behind populous, syndicate, dungeon keeper, magic carpet.

Maybe back at Bullfrog they had a person to make sure that gameplay and challenge wouldn't be neglected among all the fancy features that wouldn't make it in the final game anyway.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
ActualOvaltine said:
miracleofsound said:
Yeah. I wish real-life crowds were like that. I could get a promotion from simply making stupid faces and burping.
And you could seduce the hottest people in the town by farting.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I agree that fable one was more fun however you, like me before I thought about it alot, do not realise why you feel so empty while playing fable 2.

The reason fable one characters are more likeable is because there actually is some characters. In fable two if you try to count how many actual characters there are you wont run out of fingers.

This is fairly terrible, I mean, in fable one the townsfolk were still a little boring. But at least they were slightly quirky. While in fable 2 they are utterly void of life. They run around the place slapping their hands together like circus seals. They are so dumb you don't kill them, you put them down, like a dog.

In fable one you felt as though you were slowly becoming famous, this reaches its peak when you enter the witch wood arena to fight in front of an audience. This made the game more fulfilling as you move from zero to hero, although I bleeding hate that term.

Also in fable two you had absolutely no freedom whatsoever. The game practically mocks you for it, displaying characters like wooden duck targets, so ripe to be killed, so hateful. And yet you are forced to put up with them, for no better reason than because the game says so. Your avatar, by and large, is a emotionless cursor for piloting you across the yawntastic storyline. Hells at least in fable one your character rolls his eyes or yawns, some sort of response to the horrible situations he is piled into.

So yes I for one agree with your concern for lion head studios. The difference is also clear when you see black and white one.

In black and white one your creature is a incredible thinking and lovable pet who you can train to be a magical beast. He makes decisions based on what you have taught him and tries to help you in your quest for godly dominance.

In black and white 2 your creature is a great big monster that you use for three things, killing killing and ignoring. Left to his own devices he wont befriend other creatures, or learn how to cast spells, you buy spells for him in his boring brain shop thing. Instead he stands there, sleeps, throws fireballs at rocks and gurns. How bloody boring. Hopefully project natal will be great (I'm joking)

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
ExaltedK9 said:
Actually we might not be playing the same Fable. Are you talking about lost chapters or regular Fable?

It didn't really get good for me till I was past the original storyline.
Is there really that much added by the lost chapters?
I only played the original, I didn't much fancy splashing some more cash on a game I'd already played and then a little bit extra.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
Irridium said:
I always find it funny how before Fable 2, everyone was saying "hopefully it won't suck and be full of broken promises like the first Fable.

And now Fable 2 is out people are always saying how great the first one was.

It both makes me laugh and pisses me off at the same time.
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I feel I must reply to this.

I am one of the (probably) few that had never heard of the Fable hype when I bought it, in fact I hadn't even heard of the game a year after it's release, when I casually walked into a Gamestop and saw it on the shelves and bought it.

Well I wasn't expecting much, after playing Morrowind I thought nothing could compare. But unlike most games I play, including Morrowind, I found that the game was nearly perfect. The only things that were bad were the things I thought they left out (like raising a kid, which I even noticed missing, without even hearing the hype that there was supposed to be more). So of course I expected a lot out of my beloved Fable series to pretty much be the same thing, only with more added, bigger, and better. They delivered on most aspects with Fable 2, but something just wasn't right. I think that I would have considered the game pretty good if the story wasn't horrible and ending so quickly (and stupidly).

So in other words, I don't know where "hopefully it won't suck and be full of broken promises like the first Fable" came from, but I bet it's just because people wanted Fable 2 to be awesome(r).

So for me, like many people, Fable is a classic, nearly perfect console RPG (PC's are for strategy and point and click RPG's, PC gamers can suck it :p)

(I'll probably get a lot of abuse for that comment, but it's o' so true. Diablo RPG's and Sim games are the only thing good on PC's, but they are supremely awesome)

Thimblefoot

May 10, 2009
After i finished playing Fable 2, i thought "This game SUCKED compared to the first one!"

The next day i play the first Fable again. That sucked as well.

So, in conclusion, i ended up not liking EITHER Fable game.