Fable: The Journey Review

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Why is it so hard to make a good Fable game? Everyone is sitting here wanting one, and they just keep pushing literal crap out. Give us what we ask for for fuck sake, not what you mistakenly think we want.

Apr 28, 2008
As someone who genuinely enjoys the Fable games, all of them, this makes me sad. Such a shame.

Also, I remember when Peter Moleneux said the game wasn't on rails. And how he got a bunch of industry people to sign on a whiteboard agreeing that it wasn't on rails.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/13/molyneux-declares-fable-the-journey-definitely-not-on-rails/

Oh Peter, you rascal you.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Well this turned out exactly how everyone expected. So...no one is going to be bummed out about it at least. That's the one good thing I can say about this.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Irridium said:
As someone who genuinely enjoys the Fable games, all of them, this makes me sad. Such a shame.

Also, I remember when Peter Moleneux said the game wasn't on rails. And how he got a bunch of industry people to sign on a whiteboard agreeing that it wasn't on rails.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/13/molyneux-declares-fable-the-journey-definitely-not-on-rails/

Oh Peter, you rascal you.
I do, too! I love Fable. This, however, just kind of breaks my heart. I picture the dev team weeping as they were forced to squander so much good material.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I used to love the Fable series, I was so intrigued by a advert for the first or tha I got an Xbox (well asked for one for Christmas). I got Fable 2 and comp,eted it over 10 times. Four of which were in a week of purchase. But fable 3 just wasn't as good and I find myself not really wanting to replay it that much. Not only that bu stuff I used to enjoy about fable I don't so much anymore. I used to enjoy the morality system but I now think it is outdated.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm going off topic, I just wanted to convey the sadness that I feel little desire to get this game when 2 years ago I was jumping up and down with happiness because fable 3 was announced.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
...I expected this to suck literal ass in every way possible, knowing that it actually has a decent story and characters that the actual game play ruins makes it actually sting.

C'mon Peter, you know we love you, but just STOP dumbing down Fable with each new iteration! II was the strongest in the franchise thus far, you should be building off of that one's mechanics, not continuously removing more and more bits of them as time goes by. The "casual" crowd that you're trying to appeal to just isn't going to be interested in a proper RPG ever, so just STOP trying to reel them in and make the ones you've already caught happy before us few you have left just opt to jump ship once and for all!

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
Meh, at this point I think it's very clear that the first Fable was a fucking accident. Seriously, the second game was a colossal pile of shit, and I heard the third game is even worse, so clearly the answer is to give up and remove all of the actual gameplay and maybe people won't realize that you're an incompetent game developer.

And the best part is, people just keep buying this horseshit.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I love Fable: Lost Chapters. A whole bunch. That formula got watered down, and eventually impossible to die combat and 3 dollar hat DLC. Now it's a kinect game where you stare at a horse's ass (literally) and is as fun as watching paint dry? Molyneux, I weep for your child, and the dream of planting the acorn and watching the tree grow over years of game-time : (

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Susan sounded (on the podcats) like she was really dreading doing this review. I was disappointed with Fable 3 and got burned by Molyneux promises, so I'm really not expecting much from this game either...

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
sunsetspawn said:
Meh, at this point I think it's very clear that the first Fable was a fucking accident. Seriously, the second game was a colossal pile of shit, and I heard the third game is even worse, so clearly the answer is to give up and remove all of the actual gameplay and maybe people won't realize that you're an incompetent game developer.

And the best part is, people just keep buying this horseshit.
See, I thought Fable II was the best of the series. One of my favourite games of this console generation in fact. The third instalment was very disappointing though, and The Journey plus whatever that hideous XBL Arcade title is called just take the piss with their craptasticness. With The Journey in particular I get the feeling Microsoft wanted a Lionhead Kinect title regardless of what it could (and should) have been as a last-ditch effort to save motion controlled gaming on the 360. I wonder where Lionhead go from here; no more Peter, no more fan following, no more contracts?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
A bad Kinect Fable game...

Who would have guessed?

Now excuse me a friend of mine had this brilliant idea of combining gasoline and fire. I don't know what's going to happen, but it's probably going to be something really awesome.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
1337mokro said:
A bad Kinect Fable game...

Who would have guessed?

Now excuse me a friend of mine had this brilliant idea of combining gasoline and fire. I don't know what's going to happen, but it's probably going to be something really awesome.
I love it when the avatar goes perfectly with what someone says.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Like many I loved the Fable series. Fable 2 was actually quite fun, especially when going insane with friends, and Fable The Lost Chapters is simply amazing. Fable 3, while some aspects I loved, just wasn't really that good. Especially when having to take the 100 million gold I had out of my coffers to get that special weapon in the chest. Then I see how Fable Heroes and Fable The Journey is and I just have to say this: why? I mean this game had so much potential and I was genuinely going to get it. But after hearing the reviews I'm definitely not going to get it. If I remember correctly Peter said he was gonna leave Lionhead, and in turn Fable, with a bang. But this, this is just like the pathetic whimper of an old, dying cat.

Aphantas

Apr 29, 2010
I have really liked the Fable Series of game ever since I was gifted Fable: The Lost Chapters. Fable 2 was great, but then they somehow began to make games that just reeked of missed opportunity.
I think that much of Fable 3 was great, but the endgame, the most important aspect for the player as it will likely be the most remembered section of the game was completely screwed up.
I think its endgame was -almost- the greatest morality exploration I had seen thus far in gaming. It was ruined by the presence of infinite rent money, in a situation they was designed with the assumption your cash was finite and tight.
This could have been fixed simply by stopping rent income during that section, and giving you actual rent gained based on the number of days that had passed between each court, when the court began.

Fable: The Journey however was not so much a disappointment but a confirmation for what I expected. The Kinect just cannot do proper 3D movement because of how uncomfortable and immersion breaking it would be. You can't actually move, and so must use some abstract command to achieve to do so. A rail shooter was all that could be expected.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I think everybody saw this coming, at least it won't disappoint much as it wasn't really expected to be good. It is like saying "Well at least he hasn't put pencils in his ears and nose this year"

Well I think I better go back to a round of Kinect Star Wars Dance off

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
wait who put action adventure aspects, pretty graphics, and even a story into my hoarse driving simulator. which for a hoarse driving simulator it is quite accurate, and has good flow. just like if you were really interesting in learning what it would be like to drive a hoarse drawn cart, but there is a slight break in the immersion for me because I know that the seat that I am sitting on is much more comfortable then the wood blank, or bench that I should be. then yeah the adventure stuff. I mean why would I leave the cart with some stranger especially if I am already separated, and on a schedule. cave I don't have time for some cave I have a job to drive this cart.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Am I the only one who sees Avatar Korra when I glance over the picture of this article on the front page?