Fable: The Journey Review

Studsmack

Sep 28, 2012
Damn. I expected as much as I played the demo, but there is SO much potential in this game. Then again, I can honestly say that about all Lionhead games... and that is a depressing realization for me.

I was hoping for some refinements for the Kinect controls and curse Molyneux for saying this wasn't an on-the-rails experience. Someone should explain to Molyneux that even if you're not on the carriage the whole game, having the programming move the character around for you is still being on-the-rails. But honestly, I'd probably let that slide if the gameplay just worked, I had a hell of a time once the game threw 3 or more enemies at me, just flailing my arms around with no response from the game.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Fable & dungeon Siege must learn that if the first game in your franchise is cross platform, then you're not allowed to have ANY console exclusive titles.

I like how the main character is not even a quarter as good looking as he is on the cover.

So it's basically "Fable 3.5: The Horse's Butt."

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
This might be the most boring game to come out this year so far! Definitely will pass on this one.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
A Fable game sequel turned out be be bad, and Peter Molyneux was revealed to be an utter liar.
And no-one was surprised.

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
Irridium said:
As someone who genuinely enjoys the Fable games, all of them, this makes me sad. Such a shame.

Also, I remember when Peter Moleneux said the game wasn't on rails. And how he got a bunch of industry people to sign on a whiteboard agreeing that it wasn't on rails.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/13/molyneux-declares-fable-the-journey-definitely-not-on-rails/

Oh Peter, you rascal you.
In his defence, he quit the project a while ago. They could have changed it since, but overall, I think microsoft was trying to sell kinects by attaching the Fable franchise to it, knowing that it is a very popular series which they can flush down the toilet without the rest of the company going with it.

Or in other words, Fable is popular, but Fable is not a lynchpin series like Halo.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
But even the best approximation of steering a horse cart is still an approximation of something that is, by nature, not very interesting. The game does its best to try and spice things up by forcing you to steer around trees, tossing in some chase sequences and making the different colors of experience impossible to pick up unless you're going the correct speed, but mostly, you're just looking at Seren's butt as she clip clops along the trail.
FINALLY!!! A game that caters to all that enjoy staring long and hard at a horse's anus. Just imagine how much better Ocarina of Time would have been if we had just let Peter Molyneux strap a carriage to Epona's rear and counted the fun-filled hours to each destination with her beautiful derrière at our viewing pleasure!

Susan Arendt said:
Recommendation: The world is inviting, the characters are likeable, and the adventure is enticing, but the actual gameplay of Fable: The Journey is a waste of your time. Unless you're desperate for a reason to dust off your Kinect, don't bother.

A famous philosopher once said, "I can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it".

We could all sit in front of Peter Molyneux's game staring at a horse's ass, but I'd rather take Susan's word for it.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
"A broken action/adventure RPG that contains neither action nor adventure ported to a barely working platform with a buggy interface? Brilliant! Now let's clone giant sharks and make them super-intelligent..."

In all seriousness, I cannot understand what happened to this franchise. Fable: The Lost Chapters was a blast and hinted at so much potential to come. If only they moved in the "open world" territory like the Elder Scrolls games.

Man...that would have been something.

Instead Lionhead went the opposite direction to "broaden it's appeal" (translation: "dumb it down")and created a bunch of loosely strung together mini games with features no one cares about in a moderately interesting world no one can explore.

Looks like the trend continues...

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Another decent game ruined by the fact that Microsoft is trying too hard to promote their already-dead peripheral.

Can we just let the Kinect die? Please?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Aw, it's sad to see developers hamstringed by being forced to peddle to the gimmicky stuff like kinect. Clearly they can design beautiful lands and craft likeable characters. In a game that was mainly... a game and that was perhaps complimented by kinect rather than being a kinect tech demo, maybe this would actually work.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
What do you mean it's not fair to criticise a game for being designed for the kinect?
The kinect does not work.

As an idea, it's a great one.
But because it doesn't work, every game (except dance central) on the thing is a piece of shit.

It's absolutely fair.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
TBH I don't really care about the Fabel franchise. It simply never appealed to me and proved to me that Molyneux is mostly talk these days. His games were interesting when he was with Bullfrog but not any more. I would argue that his last good game was Dungeon Keeper 2 and that was 13 years ago.

Anyway to the matter at hand:
If Microsoft continues trying to make a gimmick the main attraction in their video games I certainly have to rethink a purchase of their next console.
Motion control for me is the same as 3D in movies. It is actually limiting the media instead of advancing it. 3D dictates a certain cinematography to be effective (e.g. in your face shoots) and so does motion control influence game play because technical limitation such as missing feedback and lacklustre accuracy, not to mention that they haven't found a comfortable way to control free character movement while standing still, is simply limiting the applications of this technology by a great deal.
This is mostly not an issue as long as it is kept at an gimmick stage e.g. head tracking in FM or UI control but it becomes down right game breaking for anything not resembling a party dance game (e.g. Steel Battalion).
Microsoft stop it, just stop it.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Credit where credits due; they tried to do something exciting with the technology and although its failed they still tried. I just hope there isn't some kind of major canon story piece hidden in here that gets referenced in Fable 4.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Dissapointing, but not unexpected, a failed tech-demo for Kinect-using magical combat on rails is about all I was expecting out of this one, though the fact that so much of it is a dreary horse-and-carriage simulation is fairly baffling.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
another Lionhead game that molyneux lies about and turns out to be average at best.

at this point I'd rather see Lionhead liquidised and have the talent go to other companies where their skills can be put to good use. the only reason I've played 2 and 3 was because they were gifts, i haven't personally bought a Lionhead game in years.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
When Susan instructed me for the sitting position,
I watched the screen.
It made me nauseous,
for the like I have never been.
I am writing a poem,
because this game is what I foresaw.
As a result,
I think I shall avoid this colossal bore.

I know inconsistent rhythm.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
scw55 said:
I watched the screen.
It made me nauseous,
I am writing a poem,
As a result,

Even horse-ass is
someone's idea of fun.
Cherry petals soar.

Now who's gonna do a Petrarch-style sonnet?

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
This is why Molyneux left... "Sorry fellas, Even I can't make 'that' sound interesting... I'm going to talk about a big box instead - Bye!"..

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Seneschal said:
scw55 said:
I watched the screen.
It made me nauseous,
I am writing a poem,
As a result,

Even horse-ass is
someone's idea of fun.
Cherry petals soar.

Now who's gonna do a Petrarch-style sonnet?
There needs to be more Motion-Sickness simulation games in my opinion.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Sounds like more proof that the Kinect is not suited for games. I have seen many, many incredible things done with Kinect, including making a small mo-cap studio with only 2 Kinects, but is not ready for games. Microsoft, please drop it.