Fable: The Journey Review

Feb 22, 2009
Pah, back to Lost Chapters again I guess... or maybe II, that one was pretty good. All going downhill from here though, looks like.

scw55 said:
When Susan instructed me for the sitting position,
I watched the screen.
It made me nauseous,
for the like I have never been.
I am writing a poem,
because this game is what I foresaw.
As a result,
I think I shall avoid this colossal bore.

I know inconsistent rhythm.
Your poem is bad and you should feel bad.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
rhizhim said:
inb4:

it is not on rails. yeah. the sarcasm is strong in this one
I'm not defending Molyneux but to that board's credit the character doesn't ride on rails throughout the game, just a horse carriage. It's almost as if he did it as a joke saying "You aren't literally on rails", the game play just simulates the experience. I'm not saying that is the case, but that would kind of be a funny joke in hindsight.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
BakaSmurf said:
C'mon Peter, you know we love you, but just STOP dumbing down Fable with each new iteration!
Actually this game was so horrid Molyneux gave up on Lionhead Studios all together, but hey it's easy money for the remaining team because Microsoft pays for all this awful Kinect shit.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
It's odd... I ACTUALLY want to play this game, now. Just a playthrough. Not a purchase. I wouldn't mind riding a horse cart across some fantasy landscape. I don't have to worry about the gameplay distracting me :)

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
LostintheWick said:
It's odd... I ACTUALLY want to play this game, now. Just a playthrough. Not a purchase. I wouldn't mind riding a horse cart across some fantasy landscape. I don't have to worry about the gameplay distracting me :)
It might be more enjoyable and satisfying if you find a place which could teach you how to drive a horse.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Ham Blitz said:
rhizhim said:
inb4:

I'm not defending Molyneux but to that board's credit the character doesn't ride on rails throughout the game, just a horse carriage. It's almost as if he did it as a joke saying "You aren't literally on rails", the game play just simulates the experience. I'm not saying that is the case, but that would kind of be a funny joke in hindsight.
To be clear, the horse cart bits aren't on rails, though you can't exactly just wander off any old direction you like. The on foot parts are totally on rails. In some places, you're leaning left and right to move around the space, which technically isn't on rails....but yeah.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
scw55 said:
LostintheWick said:
It might be more enjoyable and satisfying if you find a place which could teach you how to drive a horse.
Excellent point! And I wouldn't have to buy a pesky Kinect!
although... do you have any suggestions on a fantasy landscape to ride my new horse through? Maybe I can just go to rural Canada and pretend.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
LostintheWick said:
scw55 said:
LostintheWick said:
Excellent point! And I wouldn't have to buy a pesky Kinect!
although... do you have any suggestions on a fantasy landscape to ride my new horse through? Maybe I can just go to rural Canada and pretend.
You'd be surprised how epic your local landscape is. Took me 21 years to realise that.

Malignanttoe

Aug 25, 2011
It's funny. Other sites review this game saying it's fun and awesome, but everything I saw of the game was just like Susan said. It's pretty window dressing, but looks like the game play is shit. One reviewer actually said the carriage riding was fun. How?!

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
This is from the man who brought us Dungeon Keeper. Dungeon Keeper!
It's like having an award winning Michelin Star chef give you some wondrous meal consisting of Creamed Foie Gras , caramelised milk tuile, fresh cobnuts, blackberries and Hyssop.
Then the following week that same chef gives you dried mashed potato and congealed gravy.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Susan said:
All you can see is all the missed opportunities
That's the story of all of peter's games, except his first one.

Poor guy, I think he knew this was the last time anyone would take him seriously and believe him and left to figure stuff out.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Ham Blitz said:
rhizhim said:
inb4:

Ha.Ha. My sides.

The only way to save this game is modding PSY into it, screaming at the horse's ass the entire journey.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Ham Blitz said:
rhizhim said:
inb4:

To be clear, the horse cart bits aren't on rails, though you can't exactly just wander off any old direction you like. The on foot parts are totally on rails. In some places, you're leaning left and right to move around the space, which technically isn't on rails....but yeah.
I didn't mean it like that. The joke I was going for was that the quote on the board only says "It's not on rails" and I was taking that literally as in railroad or mine cart tracks.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Mr.K. said:
BakaSmurf said:
C'mon Peter, you know we love you, but just STOP dumbing down Fable with each new iteration!
Actually this game was so horrid Molyneux gave up on Lionhead Studios all together, but hey it's easy money for the remaining team because Microsoft pays for all this awful Kinect shit.
...And just like that, Fable is dead to me. Damn, so much potential, so much wasted potential...

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
I don't really think Molyneaux is really the fault in this series, it's like he has a bunch of good ideas and I'm sure that most of what he says could certainly be done with today's technology, but it's like his dev team just doesn't give a fuck and keeps pumping out shit or misunderstanding him. That isn't necessarily the truth for this as I'm sure it was just Microsoft telling them to use a popular brand to help pump some money out of the kinect, but Fable 2 and 3 just...ugh, I was actually kind of excited because they totally could have made really great rpgs.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
*sigh* Now I has a sad.

I love the Fable games. Despite what everyone says I think the third and second were quite fun and at least the third had a good story. But I have noticed that as time goes it feels like more problems crop up then get solved with the series. I'll still probably get the fourth one if it ever comes out, but I doubt I'll ever play this one.

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
jackinmydaniels said:
I don't really think Molyneaux is really the fault in this series, it's like he has a bunch of good ideas and I'm sure that most of what he says could certainly be done with today's technology, but it's like his dev team just doesn't give a fuck and keeps pumping out shit or misunderstanding him. That isn't necessarily the truth for this as I'm sure it was just Microsoft telling them to use a popular brand to help pump some money out of the kinect, but Fable 2 and 3 just...ugh, I was actually kind of excited because they totally could have made really great rpgs.
The first game was good IN SPITE of Molyneaux, not BECAUSE of him. I'm sure the dev team for that one was different. It HAD to be. Fable (and TLC) has a magical fairly tale vibe that simply DID NOT EXIST in the later games. Also, a lot of the gameplay was butchered and pointless mini-games were added. The amazing Elfmanesque music was removed, as were the Trina Schart Hyman visuals. All difficulty was eliminated despite the first one being too easy in the first place. Everything after the first Fable (and TLC) were souless, whorish cash-grabs.

All Fable sequels really needed to do was tighten-up the gameplay, balance the leveling, and eliminate EXP multipliers. After that, instead of going to the future and completely eliminating all mystique, they could've ventured out to different lands with different flavors. Go north to the Nordic lands, go to the middle east, go to the slavic (Transylvania) or germanic areas, or maybe to the mediterranean. There were endless folk-tales to exploit for atmosphere and material.

Dewey decimal number 398, go fucking borrow a clue.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
sunsetspawn said:
jackinmydaniels said:
The first game was good IN SPITE of Molyneaux, not BECAUSE of him. I'm sure the dev team for that one was different. It HAD to be. Fable (and TLC) has a magical fairly tale vibe that simply DID NOT EXIST in the later games. Also, a lot of the gameplay was butchered and pointless mini-games were added. The amazing Elfmanesque music was removed, as were the Trina Schart Hyman visuals. All difficulty was eliminated despite the first one being too easy in the first place. Everything after the first Fable (and TLC) were souless, whorish cash-grabs.

All Fable sequels really needed to do was tighten-up the gameplay, balance the leveling, and eliminate EXP multipliers. After that, instead of going to the future and completely eliminating all mystique, they could've ventured out to different lands with different flavors. Go north to the Nordic lands, go to the middle east, go to the slavic (Transylvania) or germanic areas, or maybe to the mediterranean. There were endless folk-tales to exploit for atmosphere and material.

Dewey decimal number 398, go fucking borrow a clue.
Are...you insulting me? I never said that Molyneaux was the reason that Fable 1 was good, I'm just saying he seems like the idea man, and that pretty much all of what he says can be done nowadays.